Zombie(NL)

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
Dont mean to offend or anything, but to be honest your answers were extremely informative but wasnt too sraightfoward. You supplied us of picutres as well as links but it had not really answered our question. And if it did, it wasnt to obvious in my eyes.
i had the same problem, but thank you for your patience Faron8.

So to prevent answering the same questions over and over all the time,
it might be a good idea to make a guide, and sticky it.

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Wait so.. to find the original, its the person on the top of the lst, and anyone else who owns the hat with the same original id has a duped?

Once the hat gets duped there's no more "original" one and "duped" one since they share the same ID.

Xel'Naga

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Either Faron or Xel'Naga,( or possibly someone else) should make a detailed post about dupes so it could be Stickied. Cause I'm still kind of confused about it.
I could probably put something together at some point. The problem is that Valve's trade API is difficult to work with, and since trades between private backpacks are impossible to track (which is where a lot of dupes happen), it makes it difficult to tell with 100% certainty what is or is not an actual duped item.

For instance, the Max Head I was looking at with Zombie had a very recent creation date (which is obviously a dupe), however TF2Items doesn't seem to link it to any items with the same original ID. This leads me to believe that maybe a new dupe bug exists, which creates a new original ID (which will make tracking many dupes near impossible), or perhaps Valve has changed their process when they restore items, and they make restored items with a new original ID (which is also problematic, as this means that it's even harder to track duped hats).

The bottom line is that I could write out an incredibly detailed guide for spotting duped items, and it could go obsolete within days, since Valve is constantly changing their own processes for dupes, and since the trade API is so wishy-washy.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Once the hat gets duped there's no more "original" one and "duped" one since they share the same ID.

Ohhh! Now everything makes so much more sense. I think me and Zombie had thought that when an item was duped, there was a original and duped version of it.. thus the continuous barrage of questions. Thanks!

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
wtf seriously...

Heh yeah xD Heres how I thought duping worked. Pokemon style.

> Wild ditto appeared!
> Go.. Magikarp?
> Ditto used Shapeshift/Transform/Whatever Its Called!

At this point, I would see the Magikarp as the original and the ditto as a dupe. But in reality, both of them are now dupes.

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Heh yeah xD Heres how I thought duping worked. Pokemon style.

> Wild ditto appeared!
> Go.. Magikarp?
> Ditto used Shapeshift/Transform/Whatever Its Called!

At this point, I would see the Magikarp as the original and the ditto as a dupe. But in reality, both of them are now dupes.
I could swear I said that somewhere, O well.

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Ohhh! Now everything makes so much more sense. I think me and Zombie had thought that when an item was duped, there was a original and duped version of it.. thus the continuous barrage of questions. Thanks!
Yes, and since they share the same original id, they share the same item history too, not like one only exist since it was duped...

Toxik

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Since this old thread was bumped anyways, what exactly is a "duped" item? You can duplicate TF2 items?

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Hi can I ask you if my item is duped? Because I'm kinda worried now. The orgin says found in crate but then the history says "This item potentially still exists. Check the user's backpack to verify." Heres the link:http://www.tf2items.com/item/1187743721

It should say somewhere on this thread, that when tf2items.com says something potentially still exists keyword is potentially. It may or may not be duped. You need to manually check that guy's backpack to be sure.

Since this old thread was bumped anyways, what exactly is a "duped" item? You can duplicate TF2 items?

A duped item means an item with the same Original ID, meaning there are more than one copies of the exact same item.

Mя. کиµcқเ£nµms ̷̨●̷̨°

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
that shows the hat trade history, who traded it to who. So Super Meat Boy unboxed it and sold it bla bla bla. Somewhere along the way it got duped. The person that owns the hat should be on top, for example

The person on top owns the hat, when there is a person above the person who owns the hat its duped.
Thanks for this. I really didn't understand duped items. Very useful.