Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
yes, but that is why it's so confusing.
the dupe has the same number as the original, so if you look at the trade history,
the trades from the dupe(s) and from the original show up both in the same list.
so it looks like 1 hat that is being traded a lot.
thats why I posted this:

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Wait so.. to find the original, its the person on the top of the lst, and anyone else who owns the hat with the same original id has a duped? And how do you use tf2items to find duped items? And so you would get the original id and paste it, just like that into Google?

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Wait so.. to find the original, its the person on the top of the lst, and anyone else who owns the hat with the same original id has a duped? And how do you use tf2items to find duped items? And so you would get the original id and paste it, just like that into Google?
read the whole thread before posting...........

Da_money125

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
Either Faron or Xel'Naga,( or possibly someone else) should make a detailed post about dupes so it could be Stickied. Cause I'm still kind of confused about it.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
read the whole thread before posting...........

Just that you first said that the person who owns it is at the top. Then you said if there is a person (person #1) on top of the person (person #2), that means its duped.. not really sure to which person's hat is the original and which one has the duped one. Tagged the 'person's for simplicity's sake.

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Just that you first said that the person who owns it is at the top. Then you said if there is a person (person #1) on top of the person (person #2), that means its duped.. not really sure to which person's hat is the original and which one has the duped one. Tagged the 'person's for simplicity's sake.
To my knowledge, unless you know who duped the hat and they tell you, its impossible to tell and it doesn't matter. A dupe is a dupe regardless of the original.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
To my knowledge, unless you know who duped the hat and they tell you, its impossible to tell and it doesn't matter. A dupe is a dupe regardless of the original.

Ah. Because I thought person #1 had the original; along the way, someone said duped promos dont matter but apperently duped unusuals do? But you just said..

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Ah. Because I thought person #1 had the original; along the way, someone said duped promos dont matter but apperently duped unusuals do? But you just said..
duped promos (buds, bills) usually don't matter, but unusuals do. Although duped max heads do matter.

Zombie(NL)

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
nice to know that i am not the only one who don't understand it.
To my knowledge, unless you know who duped the hat and they tell you, its impossible to tell and it doesn't matter.
A dupe is a dupe regardless of the original.
so if it doesn't matter if a hat is duped, or not, then what is the big deal about them?
they look the same in-game, and the original and the dupes have the same original id,
so by looking at the trade history you cant know if the hat is duped or not.

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
nice to know that i am not the only one who don't understand it.

so if it doesn't matter if a hat is duped, or not, then what is the big deal about them?
they look the same in-game, and the original and the dupes have the same original id,
it does, it means its dirty, so it usually reduces the hats value by a bit.
so by looking at the trade history you cant know if the hat is duped or not.
Seriously? I JUST explained it, twice.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
it does, it means its dirty, so it usually reduces the hats value by a bit.

Seriously? I JUST explained it, twice.

Understand it a bit more now, but could you give us a small recap? No need for pics and fancy stuff, just straightfoward this is original, this is duped.

Zombie(NL)

Totally Ordinary Human
Contributor
you were writing your second explenation, while i was writing my last message.
so i didn't read that one yet.

but still,
if you only look in the bp from GUMBERCULES and then go to trade history, he is on top of the list.
so then you have no reason to suspect a dupe.

if you first see the bp of JumpingKartoffel, and go to trade history, he is on the bottom, so then there are others above him,
and you know it's a dupe.

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Understand it a bit more now, but could you give us a small recap? No need for pics and fancy stuff, just straightfoward this is original, this is duped.
read the thread over
you were writing your second explenation, while i was writing my last message.
so i didn't read that one yet.

but still,
if you only look in the bp from GUMBERCULES and then go to trade history, he is on top of the list.
so then you have no reason to suspect a dupe.

if you first see the bp of JumpingKartoffel, and go to trade history, he is on the bottom, so then there are others above him,
and you know it's a dupe.
is that a question? There is no obvious detection to a dupe, usually requires some research. Meaning, don't be lazy.

I feel like I'm teaching 2 old dogs new tricks....

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
read the thread over

is that a question? There is no obvious detection to a dupe, usually requires some research. Meaning, don't be lazy.

I feel like I'm teaching 2 old dogs new tricks....

Yeah was trying to find out what Zombie had posted. Is what he posted correct? That seems like the only confusing thing here. Sorry for the frusteration, and rated all the posts that I found to be informative in this thread a informative rating, to thank you for your dedication to helping newer people to get a better understanding of duping in tf2.

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yeah was trying to find out what Zombie had posted. Is what he posted correct? That seems like the only confusing thing here. Sorry for the frusteration, and rated all the posts that I found to be informative in this thread a informative rating, to thank you for your dedication to helping newer people to get a better understanding of duping in tf2.
no problem. I wouldn't be as frustrated if I wasn't answering the same question over and over.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
no problem. I wouldn't be as frustrated if I wasn't answering the same question over and over.

Dont mean to offend or anything, but to be honest your answers were extremely informative but wasnt too sraightfoward. You supplied us of picutres as well as links but it had not really answered our question. And if it did, it wasnt to obvious in my eyes.

Faron

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Dont mean to offend or anything, but to be honest your answers were extremely informative but wasnt too sraightfoward. You supplied us of picutres as well as links but it had not really answered our question. And if it did, it wasnt to obvious in my eyes.
english isn't my first language. DON'T BULLY ME >:C