Reporter

Administrator
How Casual ruined TF2 for me.
Yup, I'm retarded and just want to write this. Maybe it's a wall of text but it's my wall of text and I'm proud of it. Also my English can be bad sometimes. Proceed at your own risk.

***\[EMOTIONAL TALK ABOUT MY RELATIONSHIP WITH THIS GAME\]***So I've jumped into this game when F2P update was released, I've never had any experience with video games outside of CS1.6. The moment I started playing TF2 I was instantly hooked and this game became my "teenagehood". I've found some decent server that suited me (yup, a good ol' achievement\_slideshow). The server was full of noobs similar to me at the time. Slowly but surely I've been getting better and better at the game and I still remember watching every scout guide I could find xD. Then I moved on to more "competetive" servers where I got my ass whooped, but even then I stuck around and got slightly better just because the atmosphere was good enough to make me not lose my shit. People would often talk about some stuff and whenever I got *MADSALTY* I would just take a break and do some in-server chatting while half-assedly still playing the game.***\[END OF EMOTIONAL TALK ABOUT MY RELATIONSHIP WITH THIS GAME\]***

As some might and some might not know, before casual was even considered to be implemented, quickplay was *THE SHIT*. I mean most people used the *VERY COMPLICATED* server browser but the new new players just clicked on "quickplay", then on their desired map and ***BAM,*** they were connected to a nearest community server with that map running. This ensured some flow of new players on these servers.

Then came Valve's pubs.Basically Valve made it so that quickplay didn't connect players to community servers but instead connected them to designated Valve's servers. This *somehow* didn't instantly kill community servers (if I remember correctly). Maybe because the option to open the server browser was still in the main menu of the game, dunno. Still, community servers lost some playerbase but were still very much alive.

Then came the fucking Meet Your Match update.Within few weeks after this update was released, community servers that weren't Skial became dead. I personally suspect that it happened because of (somewhat) hiding the community server browser and because of the fact that gamers these days are so god damn used to having a sloppy matchmaking slapped on everything these days.

I **DESPISE** any form of a matchmaking system. My own experience with these is either stomp everyone or get stomped by everyone. Doesn't matter what game it is. TF2, CS:GO, *a certain blizzard game,* Paladins, Dota2, each and every one of these games gives me the same frustration while I'm playing it.

How can I improve if I'm either wrecking players like on some shooting range, or if I'm getting rolled and spawncamped while my entire team behaves like players without keyboards or something? I know that they are probably new guys but this doesn't take away the frustration. I used to be decent at the game and could kill some dudes even in those shit matchups but I had to leave for some time due to a combination of college + not so great laptop that was my only "gaming option" at the time. I've come back after maybe 6 months and now every match looks like this:

a) My team gets fucked in 5 minutes tops and I can't survive any fight because I often just get outnumbered or I can just watch myself dying over and over cus my oppotents are some god tier players.

b) My team rolls everyone while I still barely kill shit because well... my team rolls everyone so fast ;-;

c) As soon as my team is gaining some advantage and I actually do pretty good I get autobalanced and then rolled.

​

At this point I just don't see a reason to torture myself anymore. Even if I wanted to get better there is no opportunity. I've mostly abandoned multiplayer games just because I find singleplayer less frustrating (yes, even shit like Dark Souls). The only "relict of the past" that I refused to give up on out of sheer teenage sentiment was TF2. I've heard that competetive TF2 might be what I'm looking for but yeah, it requires voice communication and I am extremely insecure about my accent so I guess that's a no.This is just my "love-hate goodbye letter" to TF2. Feel free to call me a bitch or whatever.(Still, I plan on staying on r/tf2 because the memes are top-tier)

TL;DR: matchmaking sux, volvo sux, laptop sux.

Author: No_Nick_Idea

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/bjoeso/how_casual_ruined_tf2_for_me/
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/bjoeso/how_casual_ruined_tf2_for_me/