Osprey

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Download it, run it and post your results. I welcome all challengers.

2x OCZ Agility 3, 60GB SSDs in RAID 0 with a 128k stripe size on a Z68 chipset's controller (SATA 6 Gbit/s):
sBmEB.jpg

3x WD6400AAKS, 640GB 7200RPM HDs in RAID 5 with 128k stripe size on a Z68 chipset's controller (SATA 3 GBit/s):
sqBmw.jpg

In before, NEEEERDS!

Reactions: ViperStriker2011

Doki

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
i don't know what any of this is... but i know i can kill you in l4d2

Osprey

Contributor
Osprey, y u no haev TRIM support?

I take care of my drives and re-image them every year. I don't need the hand-holding of TRIM support when I would be giving up half of my potential bandwidth.

edit: That's a really good question though. I did a lot of research before I decided that I'd rather have the raw performance. Not to mention that OCZ drives have their own garbage collection method that's independent of TRIM and works in a RAID configuration. :D

edit2: Here's some good information on losing TRIM in a RAID array: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3618/intel-x25v-in-raid0-faster-than-x25m-g2-for-250/6 (I'm keeping 15GB free space).

Osprey

Contributor
:)
More specs plz

i5 2500k @ 4Ghz* - air cooled by Xigmatec Gaia HSF - 8GB G.SKILL DDR 1600 - Asus P8Z68-VPRO Motherboard - MSI GTX570 Twin Frozr III Performance/Overclocked Edition - 2x OCZ Agility 3 60Gb SSDs in RAID 0 - 3x WD6400AAKS in RAID 5 - 1x WD6400AAKS (back-up for array but installed and ready to swap) - Auzentech X-Fi Prelude Sound Card - Lite-on Blu-Ray burner - FSP AURUM Gold 700w PSU (80 Plus Gold) - A bunch of Noctua 120mm fans - Lian Li PC v2000 (silver)

A lot of the stuff is from my old PC. I'm glad that I got quality parts the first time around or I would have ended up spending a few hundred more building this box.

*I can easily bump this up but I don't want to/need to fly too close to the sun right now. I'll probably max it out before I buy a next-gen i7 some time next year

Osprey

Contributor
Is that a PCI-E 1x sound card?

Naah, it's regular ol' PCI. I have an ASUS wireless N card in the PCI-E 1x slot. With the GTX570 in there, I think there's only one 1x slot available...

Osprey

Contributor
PCI-E 1x sound cards are like a cheap good used car. Doesn't work as advertised.

Thanks for the heads-up. Do they consume too much overhead on the PCI-E bus?

I'm going to stick with the regular old PCI card for now and if I think it's consuming too much overhead then I'm going to just go with the on-board. The Z68 board I got is geared towards HTPC use so I bet the on-board doesn't suck too much. That being said, the X-Fi Prelude has awesome sound quality.

Osprey

Contributor
Can someone tell me the difference between a PCI-E 2.0x16 and 2.1x16?

From wikipedia, "PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned for full implementation in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0. Most motherboards sold currently come with PCI Express 2.1 connectors."

Basically, it's 2.0 with more features and the cards are interchangeable.