Status
Not open for further replies.

Conan O'Fryin'

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Hi. Normally, after getting my topics locked and merged multiple times, I would give up and move on to more reasonable and receptive communities. HOWEVER, due to popular demand, I have decided to continue my crusade of justice by replying to the posts that I did not get a chance to respond to, due to me not seeing it before the same guy (Yeah, same guy, I know, right?) locked it once again.

CiNiC said:
1 - We like to keep it that way
2 - We're not changing it for just one server, and it is set to sv_pure 1 for a reason. Helps us avoid a good amount of hackers on our servers. This isn't about just MountainLab. It's about all of our servers.
3 - I'm on there in the mornings, kind of often. Classy and Ruelel show there sometimes as well. [Shrug]
4 - See 2. You wanting to feel like a pretty special snowflake isn't enough grounds for us to open in a gateway for hackers, no matter how small.
5 - It is kind of new..
6 - No, because it's an obviously closed subject. This isn't about just ML, it's about all our servers. We aren't going to change the sv_pure settings for individual servers based on "the regulars" of that server. You don't see US21 with AllTalk on by default, do you?
7 - I'm there often, and yeah, it doesn't get many hackers. Doesn't matter, because we're keeping sv_pure at 1.
8 - Yeah you are.
WOAH! Someone actualy unlocked the topic, even if it be for a couple of minutes! It appears that some mods are more chivalrous than others! Unfortunately, the unreasonableness that is always brought up when Skial's mods are of discussion is still unwavering, I see. I used to be like you, a mod who is bound to the rules, unphased by possible repercussions of dutiful actions, and unaware of the community's needs. But then, I realized something, not everything that represents positive change in the mod's eyes is truly in touch with the community. Sure, many of the mods have sprang from the community of a forum itself, but most, if not all, are soon alienated from it by the demands that superiors impose on them, and their views from right and wrong are soon changed when expectations are shifted. What does all of this mean? No matter how much you discuss something amongst yourselves, AKA the mods, you cannot truly reflect the needs nor the wants of the community, and such, should not ignore the pleas of mere denizens such as ourselves. Locking things because they have "already been discussed" isn't just being stubborn, but it is brushing away the idea of potentially improving the community. "We want to keep rules static." "The mods have already decided on this." "Pushing change that we do not like shall be punished." These are all things said by a staff that does not care about the community it tries to represent. So, if you want to debate a topic, do not use reactionaryism as a fodder to avoid the subject, nothing should go undiscussed, especially when the decision affects several people.

Now, to the subject at hand, sv_pure is not a deterrent for hacking in any way. First of all, wallhacking should be the least of the mod's worries. What about aimbots, FOV hackers, speed hackers, and weapon hacks? By getting rid of customization, you are merely getting rid of perhaps the lesser of these hacking evils, while destroying one of the foundations of TF2 in the process. Secondly, this is not going to stop anyone. The sight of a server that cannot be customized, for good or for bad, will simply tell the hacker "Oh no, I cannot wallhack! There must be some other method I can break the game with!" Perhaps this lack of "deterrent" is what made Mountain Lab Texas a lax and hacker free atmosphere? Thirdly, no one who plays the game will wallhack and enjoy it. You can see through walls, sure, but it all looks ugly as hell, and will rob them of any enjoyment that they would have gotten. Same with sound mods. Make Spies cloak extremely loud? Have fun playing Spy, then, bud. This is probably why wallhacks should be the least of your worries, speedhacks and aimbots are alot more popular because they don't rob people of their playing experience. Seriously, if you want to get rid of hacking, the MODS should do their job and MODERATE the servers. Not just "Stop in every once in a while"

Bottiger said:
Why do people think our regular servers ever had sv_pure 0?

They have always been sv_pure 1 from our first non-idle server over a year ago. That is the default setting and I have never changed it to 0.

Because the server in question (Mountain Lab Texas) was indeed sv_pure 0. I would recommend reading the previous posts in a thread before posting in it yourself, as the information was made clear before by some mods. Silly guy.

Antamania said:
Am I strange for not understanding the straight outrage these people have for sv_pure being on?

What I find more strange is people closing threads when topical discussion is at hand. It's like they're trying to repress people asking questions and/or the legitimacy of rules.

JarlyX said:
I can use all my mods nicely on Skial servers. (sound, models, lightwarp and some more)

You must tell me your secrets, then, since as of yesterday, my skins have been replaced by the normal ones and my sounds switched with high-pitched screeches, followed by my HL2.exe crashing AKA the typical sv_pure 1 ballyhoo

Perseus Dash Jackson said:
You'll find that, 90% of the time, it is, in fact, people who want to wallhack and say "BUT IT'S LEGAL WITH NO SV_PURE!"

[Citation needed]

Conan O'Fryin'

Also, I must thank everyone (Most of everyone) for their pleasant and reasonable replies today. It was much better than the conversations I partook in yesterday

Conan O'Fryin'

KillerZebra, I would like to ask that you refrain from insulting people in my thread, or atleast use proper English when doing so

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
i was going to post "this guy is an idiot" then decided to change it to moron without changing the "an"

either way. ur still a moron

Conan O'Fryin'

i was going to post "this guy is an idiot" then decided to change it to moron without changing the "an"

A well thought out and executed plan, obviously.

Anyways, I would like to reintroduce the notion to ask why the server was changed. When I checked Mountain Lab Texas prior to yesterday, it was 0. When I checked yesterday, it was 1. When I checked the NY Mountain Lab server yesterday it was 0. I haven't checked NY again today. The mods have even said that it was changed, and will remain where it is. So, from what I have gathered the server was indeed changed, but others haven't. Why was this done? Maybe I am crazy, maybe my console is screwed up and the mods were just being silly and saying untrue things, but from what me and my associates have experienced, it was changed, and I ask a reason be given as to why this was done

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
side note: if you don't mind me asking, what the hell is in your Steam browser? whatever it is has a lot of ads

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor

Conan O'Fryin'

What do you mean, this is not an emergency, it is my evidence that both the Texas servers and the NY servers were both sv_pure this whole time, and not some error on my part. Although I do think that Bottiger needs to reevaluate his decision of mods, considering that most were extremely rude, some were lying or withholding information, and some abusing their powers

mohawkg2

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What do you mean, this is not an emergency, it is my evidence that both the Texas servers and the NY servers were both sv_pure this whole time, and not some error on my part. Although I do think that Bottiger needs to reevaluate his decision of mods, considering that most were extremely rude, some were lying or withholding information, and some abusing their powers
:facepalm:

Cylosis

Legendary Skial King
I feel like this thread is the reason nobody on reddit likes us.

I'm not going to even bother reading through your arguments, because you've already been given an answer. Please stop provoking everyone and accept it.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I closed this again. I can't believe we've had these arguments. I was going by what Bott said. You either had a mechanism to change sv_pure or it was accidentally turned on. In either case, it doesn't matter since we're not going to change it back. Seriously, get over it.

Bottiger

Administrator
sv_pure:

If set to 1, the server will force all client files except the whitelisted ones (in pure_server_whitelist.txt) to match the server's files.

If set to 2, the server will force all client files to come from Steam (and it will not load pure_server_whitelist.txt).

Current sv_pure value is 1.
--------------------------------------------------------

This is what I see on the NY mountainlab server. I don't think typing it in the client is reliable.

Status
Not open for further replies.