Morbuzka

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Exact price range? 600$ is about as low as I'll go, I hate trying to put stuff together for less. Quality will be lower, probably less future-proof.
Ah, nevermind. You have helped a lot. I will just have to be patient and get the money slowly. Thanks.

EvanFlew

Epic Skial Regular
I better be getting some crazy fucking FPSs when I play Source games.

My 2008-2009 "gaming" pc has 2gb ram gt220 and old generation core i3, and it nails all source games at maximum config. With average framerate of 40 fps.

Shula

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Exact price range? 600$ is about as low as I'll go, I hate trying to put stuff together for less. Quality will be lower, probably less future-proof.

What do you think about an AMD build? He could do pretty well with that budget. I tried a black edition phenom 2 3.4 quad core and I was quite suprised with the performance and it still runs great.

Reactions: Morbuzka

Morbuzka

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
I don't know about AMD, because so far, I have been hearing that Intel is the better choice. Not sure. I just want to be able to play Minecraft at above 50 FPS, TF2 at above 50 stable and Just Cause 2

Shula

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I don't know about AMD, because so far, I have been hearing that Intel is the better choice. Not sure. I just want to be able to play Minecraft at above 50 FPS, TF2 at above 50 stable and Just Cause 2

Both brands have their fanboys....Intel was the first chip made and has been around forever. I built a cheaper gaming pc two years ago, So I went with AMD and it has performed better than I could have ever expected.
Spent around $650 with deals.
Specs:
AMD black edition Phenom II quad core 3.4ghz cpu
ASUS m5a99fx mobo
XFX hd radeon 6770 gpu
WD 750gb hdd
Thermaltake soprano mid tower
2 x 4g Ripjaw ram (8g total) 1600spd
Thermaltake 600w PSU
Win 7 home edition 64bit
ASUS DvD drive

Later adds were another 1tb hdd
Digital fan controllers with thermal couples so I could see additional temps at my chipset, gpu, cpu and control my fan speeds based on those numbers... No need to run fans at 100% all the time.

I intended it to be a starter gaming pc and then I would do a badass Intel build later on. Well... This machine runs so well that I just don't need to build my big rig yet.. I get around 100fps in World of Warcraft, I play on max settings in Skyrim, and every other game I play and the lowest fps i see in Tf2 is 70-80. I mostly hang around 120-140. I'll run Tf2, 3 chrome windows including youtube, ventrillo or teamspeak.... And not slow down.

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
Oaky's pretty much got you covered, not much I can say that hasn't already been said.

Depending on how you use your PC and what you plan on using it for will decide things like amount of RAM, GPU, CPU, PSU, HDD, etc.

I'm a bit of a WD fanboy too, their HDDs are set at good prices for the quality and amount of storage but if you want a quick OS startup then I'd recommend getting an SSD.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Not sure about an AMD build, most of my knowledge is around intel/nvidia. I can probably look at an amd build in a bit when I have some time, might shave off a bit. I don't expect it to be significantly cheaper though.