TheMiningAlex

Positively Inhumane Poster
I believe that there should be a limit to how often you can use the /gimme command. Currently there are people who bind it to a key and spam the key to gain infinite ammo. This allows them ungodly abilities to spawn camp as they can spawn powerful weapons with low clip sizes and keep firing without reloading. I recently ran into an example where someone spawned in a Direct hit with a clip size of two, increased explosion radius, and increased damage. He could one shot any class with 200 or less health without hitting them directly. The weapon also had the same explosion radius as a normal rocket launcher. If he got in or near our spawn we couldn't get out until after he died and it took us dying nearly 30 times for him to kill him. After which he used scout speed and heavy health to get to our spawn in around 30 seconds. I believe there should be a cooldown, a limit to how often you are allowed to use it, or a rule to keep people from gaining infinite ammo with it.

TheMiningAlex

Please allow me to understand. What one thing about this would be bad for the server? It can't be the waiting time cause we already have a waiting time on rtd and votemenu and we deal with it and think it is fine. Even donators wait for rtd and votemenu. In what way would a 4 second wait time hurt the server? I do not understand why you believe this to be a bad thing. It doesn't hurt anyone as far as I can see.

BBQ Prophet

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Because liberal government is not enjoyable for its people. The donor commands are unfair and they might as well be unfair to their fullest extent; after all, the donors pay for them. We understand what you want and we understand that it's not what's best.

Mr. Socko

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
In what way would a 4 second wait time hurt the server?
I think the problem is, you are looking all this from your perspective and not from donators.
Just imagine Player A who saw a donator spamming the command on idle and thought just to fight him back he should donate as well.
Then we have a Player B who is already a donator but sees the command is much fair now and no longer fun to abuse it, his likelihood of donating again to the server would decrease( assuming he strictly pays to get the donator's features specially on idle).
The whole idea of it is suppose to be unfair as it is just an idle server. I come to idle server to play and not idle, see donators spawn camping once in while, I always try to go pass through them and take it as a challenge as there are still ways to do it. Those 4 seconds wait time you are talking about wouldn't hurt players like you and me but definitely would affect donators in a negative way.

Last edited:

TheMiningAlex

I think the problem is, you are looking all this from your perspective and not from donators.
Just imagine Player A who saw a donator spamming the command on idle and thought just to fight him back he should donate as well.
Then we have a Player B who is already a donator but sees the command is much fair now and no longer fun to abuse it, his likelihood of donating again to the server would decrease( assuming he strictly pays to get the donator's features specially on idle).
The whole idea of it is suppose to be unfair as it is just an idle server. I come to idle server to play and not idle, see donators spawn camping once in while, I always try to go pass through them and take it as a challenge as there are still ways to do it. Those 4 seconds wait time you are talking about wouldn't hurt players like you and me but definitely would affect donators in a negative way.

Would player A really think less of the donator command if there was a 4 second wait time. He would still see a soldier with a flamethrower at scout speed whether the delay was there or not.

And as for player b and the abuse, you don't have to abuse something to have fun with it. Why would the donators not donate again because of being unable to abuse it? Most of them started as player A or read the donator section and saw the commands and thought that will be fun. Most of them don't think that spam is the reason it is abused but simply them having a non normal weapon. they probably donated simply because they could get different weapons and scout speed. Both of these options would still be available to them. I can understand donators want to be able to spam the command, but they have to wait 15 times longer for other commands. If they donated not for the abuse but for the weapons in the first place why wouldn't they donate without the abuse?
I am looking at this from how donators and potential donators can see it. It took me a lot of time thinking to figure out why there was no reload time I just thought it was a normal weapon you can get. I had to ask someone about it. I never thought even about the reload times.

I understand that they want to abuse it. But should they be able to abuse it. You aren't allowed to abuse exploits or glitches. why do commands not fall into that?

BBQ Prophet

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Let's just remove all the plugins and make Skial a safe space. Hell, let's remove all the weapons and the ability to spawn because somebody might get killed and cry about it. Let's just dissolve Skial because your singular opinion is definitely both informed and intelligent enough to decide how to run a large community.
You know you can play somewhere else?

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Let's just remove all the plugins and make Skial a safe space. Hell, let's remove all the weapons and the ability to spawn because somebody might get killed and cry about it. Let's just dissolve Skial because your singular opinion is definitely both informed and intelligent enough to decide how to run a large community.

This is not the place to insult him. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

TheMiningAlex

I like skial and I'm not saying it is all a bad place. I'm not saying any other plugins are bad. I am just looking at this as how can we help one side and still let the other side have what they were promised.
I'm also looking at the rules.
  • Exploiting. Examples:
    • Killing someone behind the gate before the game starts.
    • Bypassing the afk manager.
Would spamming the command for ammo not be considered an exploit? One thing was removed/fixed because it gave nearly 2 billion health when done and was considered an exploit. Would having infinite ammo not be an exploit as having 2 billion health would?

This is not the place to insult him. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Thank you reed, I respect everyone else's opinions here and can see where they are coming from as well. But can anyone here see where I am coming from?

Reactions: Reedgreat

Reedgreat

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Thank you reed, I respect everyone else's opinions here and can see where they are coming from as well. But can anyone here see where I am coming from?

I see your perspective. However, a purpose of the donator commands is to essentially make the donator feel "omnipotent". This encourages donating, which is essential for running the servers. Even though while I personally agree that it would be nice to see a cool down, the risk of losing donations is too large to make it worthwhile.

TheMiningAlex

Ok. I can leave it like that. I personally don't know why people would stop donating if something they weren't promised was removed but I can respect it.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

Bottiger

Administrator
We always want to make it possible for other people to have a chance, that's why we banned valve weapons a long time ago. However, that's not to say we can't tolerate any advantages at all since there are benefits like speed that no one complains about. I designed extra exits in awesomebox and left invulernbility and toxic in rtd so that people could escape from spawncamping.

This is the first time however that people have complained about spamming it to get infinite ammo however. I think it would probably be a better idea to only limit "the army of one", the custom weapon in the giveweapon plugin should be the only weapon to be blacklisted or rate limited. I don't see this being a problem with the other weapons.

Update

From our investigations, army of one was already disabled, and we did not find the other direct hit weapon to be particularly OP with infinite reloads.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheMiningAlex