ModSe7en

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I had Norton at one point, reported no viruses, but my computer was ridiculously slow because of it. I got AVG, reported at least 6 viruses that Norton never picked up, much faster, no viruses to date.
Suck it, Norton.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I had Norton at one point, reported no viruses, but my computer was ridiculously slow because of it. I got AVG, reported at least 6 viruses that Norton never picked up, much faster, no viruses to date.
Suck it, Norton.
Again, Norton is one of the best "performance" wise nowadays. It's not a product that they had 3 years ago. Refer to this: http://www.av-comparatives.org/images/stories/test/performance/performance_nov_2011.pdf
In any case, my intention was not to debate about free vs. commercial AVs, but to share some deals with you, guys. I ain't pushing commercial antiviruses to no one.

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
After looking at this forum, I went to find AVG. Before the tune up I had 4000+ problems on my comp. now I only have 12.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Short report.
Have been running Norton Internet Security 2012 for 2 days now for testing purposes.
First of all, my i7-950 shows 2% of load during the Full System Scan, whereas Trend Micro loaded up my CPU up to 12% and ESET was utilizing 7%.
Secondly, it seems like Symantec is trying to run Quick Scans every moment it notices that PC is in idle state:

v8Mg0.jpg

Here is CPU usage in normal Symantec's operation:

MYgRY.jpg

ss0DT.jpg

What I like most of all is Symantec's full integration with Chrome. It is freaking extremely convenient. Safe Web tool lets you check the website and Identity Safe tool saves all your passwords/logins in encrypted files:

Etetj.jpg

Summary: I'm satisfied with Norton so far and most likely will proceed with their IS 2012 or 360 product.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You say "registry tune-up"
I say "snake oil"
True on that. "Registry tune-up" is the most retarded and dangerous thing I've ever heard. It should be done manually if you fucking know what you're doing.

That is actually what stops me from installing Norton 360. All those tune-up crap and online backup are useless and just take additional space/resources. Norton IS 2012 doesn't have these "tools" and it's better in malware detection.

(cYs) Del Piero

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Edit: Norton 360, that is. Also, they make anti-virus for Macs for a reason.

Also see http://www.av-comparatives.org/
I have a anti virus on my mac but it never ever found something and I never heard that there are viruses actually for mac but Psycho wrote earlier that a lot of viruses now target macs so it makes sense that Norton brought out a Mac version. Where there is no market you just create one.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
Primarily, you'll find viruses on Macs where the owners have installed pirated software, honestly.

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
piratebay.png
Some software for mac can only be found pirated. Sounds weird but it's true. Lets take the game Skyrim (or take MW3). Bethesda never decided to publish it for Mac so the porting team decided to port it to mac. Of course one can't buy that game because it's not available in stores. Many games which have no offical release end up on Mac and work just fine.
It just depends what you pirate I guess and where you pirate.

Reactions: P Lash and Roman

Roman

Banned
Contributor
PortingTeam.com? Hadn't heard of it until now! Looks interesting, though.

However, I don't trust TPB anymore. Too many watchful eyes.

(cYs) Del Piero

Contributor
The porting team is my favorite source for software which for some reason doesn't get published for Mac. Never ever had trouble with their software and usually a port is out after a few days after the the windows release. It's great and free (donating helps them out)

And I agree that the Piratebay is not to be trusted but it symbolizes piracy. In Italy without VPN you can't even open the main page of the Piratepay. A court ruled that some months ago..

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
~~edited~~ In Italy without VPN you can't even open the main page of the Piratepay. A court ruled that some months ago..
God Bless. eMule was successfully surpressed. Now it's P2P time.
PS. I'm drunk: what was the name of this service that got fucked up by the government back in late 90s? Net... Ne...

Roman

Banned
Contributor
I have some Norton codes (360 and Mobile Security) if anyone's still (or ever was) interested. PM me for one. First come, first serve.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I have some Norton codes (360 and Mobile Security) if anyone's still (or ever was) interested. PM me for one. First come, first serve.
What do you mean by "having Norton 360 codes"? You've gotten source code? Or you've just gotten an available copy?