(cYs) Del Piero

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
I heard Norton Internet Security slows the Windows Computer down by around 40-50%.
Good thing I use Mac :)

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I heard Norton Internet Security slows the Windows Computer down by around 40-50%.
Good thing I use Mac

You've heard wrong: http://www.pcmag.com/image_popup/0,1871,iid=287627,00.asp. That was the case 3 years ago. Not today.
Also, do you think that if you are using Mac you don't need an antivirus? You are terribly wrong. Just so you know 40% of viruses written today are aimed against MacOS due to extreme popularity of Mac products.

Reactions: wokmage

JayDee

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
AVG is good enough for me...(unless you can recomend me a better one :3 )

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What's your standpoint on free antiviruses? (ie AVG, Avira, and so on)
My personal standpoint is that I'm trying to stay away from them. In addition, independent lab testing showed that they didn't not perform quite well. Perfect 2012 Antivirus overview could be found on PCMag's website.
I can tell you one huge general advantage of paid antiviruses vs. free antiviruses. It's support. Non-IT folks, or busy people have no knowledge/time to resolve infection on their own. In this case Antivirus' Support comes into play.
Symantec's support has proven itself as the most efficient one. In addition, Symantec uses "cloud experience" to keep the knowledge about new signatures up-to-date. That's being said, the possibility of zero-day virus is pretty low.

Again, that's my personal opinion and my personal preference.

AVG is good enough for me...(unless you can recomend me a better one :3 )
In this article you can read about AV comparisons. Compare AVG results and Norton results. Also, I'd recommend readin this article in full.

I personally spent 3 days on researching the best antivirus since I've decided to move away from Trend Micro that I had been using for 4 years now.

In addition, if you can get FULLY supported powerful AV from Norton for free, why wouldn't you?

319588-pcmag-test-results-for-2012-antivirus-products.jpg

RisenDemon

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I've been using Avira Antivirus for a long time (about 3 years)
I've had no problem stopping virus from getting into my computer.
Because I'm not an IT professional, I don't know how it compares to other antivirus, given that it's not displayed in the charts above.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Also, I have to mention that AVG is antivirus solution only, whereas Norton 360 is a complete suite of security solutions: Firewall, Tune-up tools (really powerful), Backup (to Symantec's storage) and Restore, Parental Controls and very powerful (even more powerful than Malwarebytes) Malware Removal Tool which is available to Symantec subscribers 24/7 (as well as on-phone Technical Support).

I've been using Avira Antivirus for a long time (about 3 years). I've had no problem stopping virus from getting into my computer.

Well, if you are satisfied with your current Antivirus - there is no reason to change it, right? :D I decided to get rid of Trend Micro because it has lost its positions dramatically.

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
No point paying for an antivirus software if you don't have anything important on your PC in my opinion.

wokmage

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Thanks for the info, PsychoRealm, I'll have to look at switching to Norton when my current AV license expires.

Xel'Naga

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I don't even use an antivirus. I'm just careful with what I do online, and I've not had any problem in over five years.

Every few months, I'll install AVG and do a scan. Nothing ever comes up, so I uninstall it again. System runs just fine.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Yeah, I got my kasperksy for free like 5 months ago. Freaking rebate to 3 months to get here, but it was actually a check, not one of those damn gift cards.