Mewkin

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor

This pretty much sums up my thoughts on how I treat the matter, as I've seen several instances where a certain person is called "Racism enabling." I know that this place is somewhat synonymous to a club where you follow whatever rules are made up in order to stay in it, but I find that when comments are posted on the subject they try to blend in what constitutes racism with arbitrary social rules and any questioning of them will be likened to promoting racism much as any questioning of the movie "Cyberbu//y" makes you a supporter of cyber-bullying in the eyes of the masses. I guess everytime someone calls me a faggot for being a literal fag their words should actually mean something? Everytime someone calls me fatass I should take offense? They are calling me words which have definitions which can easily be applied to me and therefor making it a simple statement of facts. I don't care if someone stands up and sings the Faggot Song in class, they are not insulting anything that actually matter; I would be a thousand times more offended if they honestly called me a poo brain.

Oh, but I am not of African descent, so I would not know the true excruciating pain that the verbal pronunciation or written text of a word such as "Nigger" would inflict upon a person, regardless of the context. I guess I just can't argue with that.

well we can let aspergers infested teen-angst thriving people do that I guess, they gotta have some power somewhere if their social life is a wreck

Or maybe it's because I do have Ass Burgers that I have this complete lack of empathy towards the people able to be offended in such, as I see it, a very black and white manner.

I am not saying we should do away completely with everything concerning this, I just had to explain why I am a racism-loving and bigoted asshole.

Reactions: Isil

Mewkin

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
i believe this would better be put off in unmoderated

I would at least want a mature discussion to take place, which I've seen is very unlikely in the unmoderated section. But maybe that's too much here as well, as someone has already rated it "Dumb" without a simple response. I guess some things are just categorically dumb.

This is an opinion that has been created throughout me living my life, it won't even begin to go away by labels or by the conventional morality logic usually seen any time I have ever brought this topic up elsewhere.

GhostDragon505

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I would at least want a mature discussion to take place, which I've seen is very unlikely in the unmoderated section. But maybe that's too much here as well, as someone has already rated it "Dumb" without a simple response. I guess some things are just categorically dumb.

This is an opinion that has been created throughout me living my life, it won't even begin to go away by labels or by the conventional morality logic usually seen any time I have ever brought this topic up elsewhere.
that's your opinion, and while i respect that, it's bound to clash with another persons opinion and make this into a wide spread shit storm, which is not good for anyone

Lord Killington

Legendary Skial King
greg-lemond-interbike.jpg

Reactions: Ozone

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on how I treat the matter, as I've seen several instances where a certain person is called "Racism enabling." I know that this place is somewhat synonymous to a club where you follow whatever rules are made up in order to stay in it, but I find that when comments are posted on the subject they try to blend in what constitutes racism with arbitrary social rules and any questioning of them will be likened to promoting racism much as any questioning of the movie "Cyberbu//y" makes you a supporter of cyber-bullying in the eyes of the masses. I guess everytime someone calls me a faggot for being a literal fag their words should actually mean something? Everytime someone calls me fatass I should take offense? They are calling me words which have definitions which can easily be applied to me and therefor making it a simple statement of facts. I don't care if someone stands up and sings the Faggot Song in class, they are not insulting anything that actually matter; I would be a thousand times more offended if they honestly called me a poo brain.
Oh, but I am not of African descent, so I would not know the true excruciating pain that the verbal pronunciation or written text of a word such as "Nigger" would inflict upon a person, regardless of the context. I guess I just can't argue with that.
Or maybe it's because I do have Ass Burgers that I have this complete lack of empathy towards the people able to be offended in such, as I see it, a very black and white manner.
I am not saying we should do away completely with everything concerning this, I just had to explain why I am a racism-loving and bigoted asshole.

Lol'd. Sounds like 'Mo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ommy!!!! He took my sandwich!!!"
Seriously? Cut off your Internet cable and just live the real life. If you don't want to - then shut the fuck up and go along.

Toxik

Contributor
I have to admit that black people are only reinforcing the bad side of the word "nigger", acting all crazy and offended whenever a white person says it, but then calling all of their friends that.
Especially since it is a short word for "Nigerian" which was used in times of slavery, and I doubt most people who go all insane and attention whoring saying how offending "nigger" is to them has had to deal with any hardship of the slavery.

Mewkin

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
*Supremely clever macro*

Suddenly, I am an attention whore for expressing my thoughts on something and wanting an actual discussion about it. This clearly nullifies everything I might have to say from now on. If only I could retain my dignity after seeing such a post or find a random image on some a overused source site that applies to you or whatever you may say in nearly no way at all.

love and tolerate brony, love and tolerate.

What part of that post implies that I lack love or tolerance? I simply asked a question as to why something so insignificant as a few words warrants the outrage it so often causes. What if I and a sizable portion of the population took it upon ourselves to advertise that we find calling another person silly immensely horrific? Should we be taken seriously just because it had often been used derogatorily in some fashion in the past? I certainly made my point in a short and crude manner, but it holds no hate for anyone.

that's your opinion, and while i respect that, it's bound to clash with another persons opinion and make this into a wide spread shit storm, which is not good for anyone

Should no one ever talk because they have a different opinion than someone else? I hate to admit it, but you knew better than I to bring something like this up on this type of forum and you were only trying to warn me. I have honestly received more insightful replies conflicting with my views on the /b/ messageboard. There has not been anything gained from this, and it might as well be locked now.

Can not agree with this video enough. Going to look at a few more from this guy.

I'm glad that you have found something you liked from my post, at least it ended up having some worth. I was really hoping to have someone who had differing views to state why I might be wrong about this precise subject, so that I might expand upon my understanding of these random stoofs. If you disagree with me or have something to add in any way, please let me know.

Lol'd. Sounds like 'Mo-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-ommy!!!! He took my sandwich!!!"
Seriously? Cut off your Internet cable and just live the real life. If you don't want to - then shut the fuck up and go along.

Congratulations, you have managed to type six entire sentences completely devoid of any meaningful essence. There is no fathomable way in which that could be responded to seriously without insulting the intelligence of the human race. I see why there are people that consider you to be a troll.

I still hope to have a semi-mature discussion on this in some form, if anyone would like.

Ozone

Server-Clearing Cynic
What part of that post implies that I lack love or tolerance? I simply asked a question as to why something so insignificant as a few words warrants the outrage it so often causes. What if I and a sizable portion of the population took it upon ourselves to advertise that we find calling another person silly immensely horrific? Should we be taken seriously just because it had often been used derogatorily in some fashion in the past? I certainly made my point in a short and crude manner, but it holds no hate for anyone.
Lack of tolerance: After that first comma.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor

o hai dere. Uh, I hope i don't sound awkward and all /r/srs in this reply because I don't intend for that to be my tone.

First point: we need to determine what one would call "Racism enabling" and what it means. I wish I had something solid to point to, but i don't. Instead I would put forward that racist speech is speech which uses race as a determinate of worth. Saying a person enables racism would be akin to saying that this person promotes the idea that race is a determinate of worth.

So, back out to this forum. More importantly to the whole of the united states. There are regions where Nigga has completely decoupled itself from racial underpinnings due to how commonly it is used. There are other areas where nigga is just as racist as the term nigger which is just as racist as spic or cracker.

In this forum I think it's important to keep note of the fact that we all come from all over. While nigga may have no negative connotations to you, or to someone from not the US where we have racism crawling all over us, there are people that could, and would come here or in the servers and use terms they wouldn't deem sufficiently racist as insults. Or tehre might be people that say racist things all day everyday in thier small town and they never think about it. I... rawr. I'm not expressing myself clearly enough.

Let's try again. Um. So, like, words still have history right? Like, the word nigger and nigga has history. The history is very very unfortunate. There are still some people that still mean to use nigger or nigga in the worst way imaginable. Like, they actually hate people based on skin color for what ever reason. I would argue that having a zero tolerance policy for all racist things allows for a reality check of sorts for these individuals. There are people that I play with in Turbine that have been INCREDIBLY PURPOSEFULLY RACIST LIKE WOAH and their argument is that no one irl cares about how racist they act.

Ugh, I'm still not being very clear or precise. I just. ugh. I dislike it when other people are made to feel bad okay? Like, what if there was a little black kid that hadn't ever really been exposed to serious business racism, and they run into someone calling them a dumb bitch nigga. does the -a make it okay? No. Hell, I would like it if people would stop using the word fag as a casual insult because there MUST be kids that feel bad about themselves because of it. i dunno. I kind of feel like if everyone knew that nigga wasn't racist than it wouldn't be racist, but I know I've heard it used in derogatory ways before. :(

I dunno. I worry about people's feelings. I'm also tired. Please yell at me in a not too formal way if you respond tonight because I really wouldn't be able to parse anything too long winded right now -.-;;

And, well, the last point I'd like to make is that Skial is a private place. This entity has no restrictions against putting restrictions in place. I think the only thing private entities like this can't do is promote hate speech or incite acts of violence right?

(be gentle, I just wanted to have a civil conversation...)

Reactions: Mewkin
D

DeadHerald

o hai dere. Uh, I hope i don't sound awkward and all /r/srs in this reply because I don't intend for that to be my tone.

First point: we need to determine what one would call "Racism enabling" and what it means. I wish I had something solid to point to, but i don't. Instead I would put forward that racist speech is speech which uses race as a determinate of worth. Saying a person enables racism would be akin to saying that this person promotes the idea that race is a determinate of worth.

So, back out to this forum. More importantly to the whole of the united states. There are regions where Nigga has completely decoupled itself from racial underpinnings due to how commonly it is used. There are other areas where nigga is just as racist as the term nigger which is just as racist as spic or cracker.

In this forum I think it's important to keep note of the fact that we all come from all over. While nigga may have no negative connotations to you, or to someone from not the US where we have racism crawling all over us, there are people that could, and would come here or in the servers and use terms they wouldn't deem sufficiently racist as insults. Or tehre might be people that say racist things all day everyday in thier small town and they never think about it. I... rawr. I'm not expressing myself clearly enough.

Let's try again. Um. So, like, words still have history right? Like, the word nigger and nigga has history. The history is very very unfortunate. There are still some people that still mean to use nigger or nigga in the worst way imaginable. Like, they actually hate people based on skin color for what ever reason. I would argue that having a zero tolerance policy for all racist things allows for a reality check of sorts for these individuals. There are people that I play with in Turbine that have been INCREDIBLY PURPOSEFULLY RACIST LIKE WOAH and their argument is that no one irl cares about how racist they act.

Ugh, I'm still not being very clear or precise. I just. ugh. I dislike it when other people are made to feel bad okay? Like, what if there was a little black kid that hadn't ever really been exposed to serious business racism, and they run into someone calling them a dumb bitch nigga. does the -a make it okay? No. Hell, I would like it if people would stop using the word fag as a casual insult because there MUST be kids that feel bad about themselves because of it. i dunno. I kind of feel like if everyone knew that nigga wasn't racist than it wouldn't be racist, but I know I've heard it used in derogatory ways before. :(

I dunno. I worry about people's feelings. I'm also tired. Please yell at me in a not too formal way if you respond tonight because I really wouldn't be able to parse anything too long winded right now -.-;;

And, well, the last point I'd like to make is that Skial is a private place. This entity has no restrictions against putting restrictions in place. I think the only thing private entities like this can't do is promote hate speech or incite acts of violence right?

(be gentle, I just wanted to have a civil conversation...)

Actually read the whole thing. On the internet no less. =O

There are certain people out there who are always going to be looking for ways to get offended. They come from all races, colors, creeds and walks of life.These are the Al Sharptons, Janeane Garofolos and Westboro Churches of the world who are looking for a fight because they feel they need to validate their own existence by being superior to everyone else via forcing their own ideology on others through political correctness. Conversely, there are an equal amount of tactless drones who don't know that what you say in your own house when no one is listening is a far cry different from what you say in public. You can find the N-Bomb to be hilarious while you're in your house watching inappropriate Tyler Perry movies, but you still need to have the common sense not to drop it in front of Joe, the black guy who lives down the street. Trust me, he'll still get offended and rightfully so. All I'm saying here is that social morays are a good thing. Until they spin out of control and become political correctness. Just use some good old fashioned tact and everyone will feel better for it.

Except for humans, you fucking meatsacks are only good for dragon feed. >=P

Mewkin

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
o hai dere. Uh, I hope i don't sound awkward and all /r/srs in this reply because I don't intend for that to be my tone...

I understand where you are coming from, even if you sound tired right now.

From the several dozens of thousands of related instances I've seen throughout my time on the internet (tremble before my wasted time), people repeatedly gave certain words power over them. You're right when it comes to the influence of our regional diversity, but I had hoped that the internet would help people in that regard by the time they reach some specific gaming community. The internet is full of information, the worst examples of the human race, the best examples of the human race, time killers, etc. Even when I was extremely young, simply playing a game as mindless as RuneScape helped me develop maturity and some understanding to the true nature of the human race as a hole, instead of just this dumb close-minded area in Texas that lets me know I am a worthless faggot that is a disease upon mankind everytime I turn around. Everything ended up being a large shade of grey, nothing was as simple as I had thought it was.

However, I have been on that Turbine server when someone uses the word Nigger constantly with shitstorm intentions, or Fag, or Communist, or Wetback, and it is supremely annoying. What I really am against is the declaration of a word, subject, or object as terrible for those arbitrary reasons I mentioned above, not the allowance of that word to be used multiple times because I think it is not as bad as everyone else thinks. Even though very young children do play Team Fortress 2 or navigate these forums, many of the players are grown adults that have had access to the internet for years and the ability to get on it for extended periods of times frequently. Many of these adults still allow certain things to have much more power over them than they should; it's nearly similar to a phobia of goldfish at that point. Nigger, a word that was once closely affiliated with racism, went from being a negative determinate of worth to having a variation which held the receiver in a friendly and positive light. It was always just a simple word, it's definition is elastic and dependent on what the people wish it to be, whether it be an insult or a compliment.

Human history does not have to define who you or anyone else is, it does not have to serve any further purpose than basic awareness of the past. Germany is not a country of Nazis, Japan cannot even declare war anymore, there is no longer a Soviet Russia, and women are actually being taken seriously now. There are several unchangeable things that a person could use to define themselves that they're not responsible for in the least, their sexuality, their gender, their nationality, their race, their biological brain wiring, and so forth. No one should ever allow anyone to convince them that those factors determine their possible achievements or failings in life. I just wish that, not only adults, but kids as well would be able to see more often than not that they are far too complex to be placed in the tiny holes some societal rules would have them believe fits them and everyone else with the same broad label perfectly.

Thank you so much for that post, I needed that.

Edit:

You as well. c:

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I am of the mindset that words are words, throw as many at me as you like, i mean i personaly dont give a fuck, its only when those words are meant as a tool for hatred or discrimination, that they are bad..
In my eyes, cultures and races are different, and its the inherent nature of people to notices differences before similaritys.

An example of how meanings of words change, can be seen in the use of the word 'gay', firstly it meant happy, then became an insult towards homosexuals, now it its the adopted word by the homosexual community, I think the word nigger is evolving a similiar way, firstly it was a term for a black slave, it has since turned into a derogatory term for all black people, and now, is currently being adopted by some black cultures as an affectionate term, such as 'yo was up my nigger'

I've lived on both sides of the track, grew up in a community where my culture/race was the minority, and I now live in a community where it is the reverse. I have seen an equal amount of racism from each place mostly from the race which is in majority.
I remember back in the early 90's there was an attempt to ban the use of the word 'blackboard' in schools in the UK, they had to be refered to as 'chalkboards' there were also primary schools which changed the word 'black' in baa baa black sheep, to baa baa green sheep. If anything i see this as an insult to black people, by the fact it insinuates that black people are too dumb to be able to distinguish between racism and a colour. There's just ignorance all around, and as long as we remain human, there always will be.