Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
the other day, my DSL went out for quite a long time. today, it came back up, and every device but that one has been able to get on. I can use my phone as a hotspot (wired), so I'm not sure if it's a ethernet cord problem (I've used two different cords), if there is dust, as I can get on the console page just fine.

I have tried: checking the adapter to make sure it was working fine, it said it was, troubleshooting (tells me to restart modem/router which I've done today ~10 times), ipconfig renew, etc.

the driver is an Intel, but I can't get the exact info. the computer is running Windows 8.1 Enterprise.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
I am confused. Your computer can't connect right? And you tried both wifi and wired? You aren't exactly clear in your post

What exactly happens to your network connection adapters when you try to connect.

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
I am confused. Your computer can't connect right? And you tried both wifi and wired? You aren't exactly clear in your post

What exactly happens to your network connection adapters when you try to connect.
it's wired. I use my phone by USB for normal Internet, but that has a limit.

it says there is a problem with the router/modem amd to reset it when I've restarted the computer and modem quite a few times.

-Marinol-

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Have you assigned a static IP on that device? If not, perhaps try it, using a number in the mid range in case one of your auto assign devices is sharing the same address.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
You plug your computer into your phone to get internet?

So both wired and wireless into the modem doesn't work?

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
You plug your computer into your phone to get internet?

So both wired and wireless into the modem doesn't work?
for like TF2 games if I'm bored (not anymore).

doesn't have wireless.

Have you assigned a static IP on that device? If not, perhaps try it, using a number in the mid range in case one of your auto assign devices is sharing the same address.
it's static, unless you mean external IP. no IP conflict message, and I've checked the internal router/modem page and it doesn't conflict.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
Then how are your other devices connecting to it?

I am trying to help but I am having an extremely hard time understanding your problem.

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Then how are your other devices connecting to it?

I am trying to help but I am having an extremely hard time understanding your problem.
well, we have 2 other devices on Ethernet cables (a IP phone and printer), yet my devices on wireless all work.

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
KuGINuc.jpg

driver info, works completely fine by tethered phone.

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
You could try resetting your IP registry settings.

Open up Command Prompt (CMD in search bar)

Type the following command, then restart your computer:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Had an issue similar on one of my machines in the past and this cleared it up. You can change the name of resetlog.txt if you wish, its only there to generate a log, just in case ;-)

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
You could try resetting your IP registry settings.

Open up Command Prompt (CMD in search bar)

Type the following command, then restart your computer:
netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt

Had an issue similar on one of my machines in the past and this cleared it up. You can change the name of resetlog.txt if you wish, its only there to generate a log, just in case ;-)
sadly, this didn't work. thanks, though.

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Does it have the correct subnet mask, default gateway and DNS addresses configured?

Try pinging the router and DNS addresses that are configured and see what happens.
router can ping the computer fine, haven't done vice versa (this was a few days ago). not sure how to get the DNS server.

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
router can ping the computer fine, haven't done vice versa (this was a few days ago). not sure how to get the DNS server.
ipconfig /all will tell you what it is set at now.
Change it in your adapter settings. Control Panel>Network and Internet > Network Connections > Local Area Connection right click to open properties, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click properties.

If the computer is set with a static address, this is where you would have set it. Otherwise, it is getting IP and all that info from DHCP.

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
ipconfig /all will tell you what it is set at now.
Change it in your adapter settings. Control Panel>Network and Internet > Network Connections > Local Area Connection right click to open properties, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and click properties.

If the computer is set with a static address, this is where you would have set it. Otherwise, it is getting IP and all that info from DHCP.
sorry for the last reply, but there is no Netwrok Connections.

sQ6idC7.jpg
DBDe3jQ.png

Last edited:

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
sorry for the last reply, but there is no Netwrok Connections.

]

Yeah, I was thinking you were on Win 7. I see you are on 8.1 now sorry. OK, here are a few things to try...

First off your DNS server is 10.13.0.1. I can't verify if it is legit because it is a private address. If it is legit it is within your ISP's private network and you hit it before getting to the internet. Try checking the devices that ARE connecting to the internet to see what their DNS server is. For example on an iPhone you can go Settings>WiFi> then click the blue i to see network info including DNS. Other smartphones probably have a similar path. If they have the same DNS and are working, then you can rule that out.

On the computer that doesn't have connection, open Command Prompt and trying pinging these addresses.
ping 127.0.0.1
This is the loopback address, it is a virtual interface that bypasses the actual ethernet interface. If this ping is not successful there is a problem with your TCP/IP stack. I don't think this is your problem, but go ahead a do it for a sanity check.

ping 192.168.1.1
this is your router. again I don't think this is your problem because your current IP lease began on March 25 and your first post was March 24. So you are obviously talking to your router. But go ahead and ping for a sanity check.

ping 10.13.0.1
again this is the DNS server listed in your settings. If you cannot ping this address, then your packets are not leaving your router.

ping 8.8.8.8
Google's DNS if you cannot ping this address, but you can ping the DNS server, then your packets aren't getting out of your ISP's network

Also try Win + S and search for Network Proxy settings. See what those settings are. It should be set to automatic settings, with no script addresses specified. Double check that there is nothing awry here, sometimes malware will change these settings.

Lastly, try turning off your Firewall temporarily to see if perhaps it is blocking internet traffic.

On your router, you might look to see if there is anything out of the ordinary there, check the DHCP clients table, check access restrictions, port forwarding/triggering, DMZ, QoS, UPnP, etc.

Hopefully these checks will help turn up more information. Good luck.

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Yeah, I was thinking you were on Win 7. I see you are on 8.1 now sorry. OK, here are a few things to try...

First off your DNS server is 10.13.0.1. I can't verify if it is legit because it is a private address. If it is legit it is within your ISP's private network and you hit it before getting to the internet. Try checking the devices that ARE connecting to the internet to see what their DNS server is. For example on an iPhone you can go Settings>WiFi> then click the blue i to see network info including DNS. Other smartphones probably have a similar path. If they have the same DNS and are working, then you can rule that out.

On the computer that doesn't have connection, open Command Prompt and trying pinging these addresses.
ping 127.0.0.1
This is the loopback address, it is a virtual interface that bypasses the actual ethernet interface. If this ping is not successful there is a problem with your TCP/IP stack. I don't think this is your problem, but go ahead a do it for a sanity check.

ping 192.168.1.1
this is your router. again I don't think this is your problem because your current IP lease began on March 25 and your first post was March 24. So you are obviously talking to your router. But go ahead and ping for a sanity check.

ping 10.13.0.1
again this is the DNS server listed in your settings. If you cannot ping this address, then your packets are not leaving your router.

ping 8.8.8.8
Google's DNS if you cannot ping this address, but you can ping the DNS server, then your packets aren't getting out of your ISP's network

Also try Win + S and search for Network Proxy settings. See what those settings are. It should be set to automatic settings, with no script addresses specified. Double check that there is nothing awry here, sometimes malware will change these settings.

Lastly, try turning off your Firewall temporarily to see if perhaps it is blocking internet traffic.

On your router, you might look to see if there is anything out of the ordinary there, check the DHCP clients table, check access restrictions, port forwarding/triggering, DMZ, QoS, UPnP, etc.

Hopefully these checks will help turn up more information. Good luck.
I actually think I used my phone, laptop, or tethered my phone to the router for the post (I reset the IP lease after Genocide's post).

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I actually think I used my phone, laptop, or tethered my phone to the router for the post (I reset the IP lease after Genocide's post).
So does that mean that you didn't try anything that I suggested?

You are missing the point. If your computer got an IP address that means that it is communicating with the router since your router is also your DHCP server.

Ryulise

Wicked Nasty Engineer
So does that mean that you didn't try anything that I suggested?

You are missing the point. If your computer got an IP address that means that it is communicating with the router since your router is also your DHCP server.
yes, I have. I made the without the router. my laptop (currently using) can get on everything just fine.

I just pinged 8.8.8.8 and got a ~280 avg. if I was to ping google.com, it wouldn't respond. my proxy settings are set to automatic. I'm pretty sure the DNS is legit; given I'm using it right now, and I can get on IRC and it shows my DNS + ISP + IP. no scripts. firewall isn't blocking. checking DHCP table.