Chief of Bears

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
So I am part of a Highlander team for the upcoming season, and I'm wondering if anyone has tips to share, usually I go Combat Engie with a Mini Sentry, Lugermorph and Shotgun, or a set with the Jag, Wrangler and Shotgun if that matters.

Isil

Epic Skial Regular
I'm surely not a pro at engineer, but I've found that learning the map you're going to be playing on helps significantly.

Find forward positions to hide your exit teleporter

Figure out whether or not you're going to need a mini sentry or an actual sentry

Start playing engineer a lot more in general (provided you do not already)

The Wrangler is good for drastically reducing the damage your sentry is taking. You can flip the shield on while it is coming under heavy fire, repair it up to max and then manually use the Wrangler to pick off the people who are probably (right then) reloading after having bombarded said sentry. I personally use the Jag, if only because the damage reduction isn't all that severe, and it's nice to be able to crank out a dispenser real quick to let it sit there and collect metal while you're building everything else.

Southern Hospitality may be preferable for a highlander team however. I also use the Widowmaker because my aim is fairly good.

Rvsz

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
"I'm part of a hl team this season. Lol how2play engineer?"
There are different divisions you know, not everyone is a pro... New players and a team of friends who just like to play together are welcome to play too, this is still a game and most people just play for fun. Nothing wrong with being new and ask, it should be encouraged instead of trolled.

Isil

Epic Skial Regular
There are different divisions you know, not everyone is a pro... New players and a team of friends who just like to play together are welcome to play too, this is still a game and most people just play for fun. Nothing wrong with being new and ask, it should be encouraged instead of trolled.

Rvsz wins this round

Chief of Bears

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Don't stand still

I knew I was doing something wrong!

In all seriousness I'm pretty damn good as Engineer, Mini Sentry Combat Engie in particular, but it never hurts to learn from anyone who can give some good advice just in case.

In terms of Mini Sentry I use it as both a second hand and a distraction in battle, or if I notice members of my team being swarmed I use it to provide support. I tried the Widowmaker combo, and I still need practice with it, but overall I found it effective, I prefer the better reliability when it comes to the Shotgun however.

As a normal Sentry Engie I use the Jag to build fast, teleporters in places where my team gets better access as well as a decent hiding spot. My dispenser I use as a shield for myself either from spies or when under fire, but place it so it won't take too much damage at a time. My level 3 sentry I leave to do the heavy fire, and myself to provide the support for it, usually I'm either with the Sentry with a dispenser at my side or letting my Sentry lure in enemies and take them by surprise with close range shots.

Isil

Epic Skial Regular
I just remembered that no scatter is the norm for highlander matches

You should practice with the Widowmaker

jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Also, on defense maps like Badwater, you can have some people like the Scout and the Sniper suicide when there's about 30 seconds left on setup (they'll have time to respawn).
You'll get metal from the dropped weapons.

Chief of Bears

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Also, on defense maps like Badwater, you can have some people like the Scout and the Sniper suicide when there's about 30 seconds left on setup (they'll have time to respawn).
Now that is a strategy I never considered, thanks for that one.

jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
You might want to ask your team's Pyro to use Homewrecker when you're defending with a level 3, since the sentry is very important (Badwater's a real good example again).

pkm

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor

Why not drop a tele first? At that point anyone can suicide and upgrade your tele for you.

pkm

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
Teach me to not read the first post =P

But it wouldn't have mattered since I have no idea how it works. So they can't even double up on engies JUST for setup ? Dang

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Advice on how to play engi can only be given on a map by map basis.

ex: In Viaduct pro go with a mini, pistol and frontier justice. Drop the mini down on a side whip out your pistol and help your mini get kills, when it drops use your shot gun's revenge crits. Drop a dispenser behind the rock when you have point. Build your tele in a conservative position so you don't waste metal rebuilding it.

strat is different in normal viaduct. Learn the maps, look to see what other engis do in highlander demos and shoutcasts.

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Teach me to not read the first post =P

But it wouldn't have mattered since I have no idea how it works. So they can't even double up on engies JUST for setup ? Dang
Highlander = there can only be one = no

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Make it clear to your team, not to pick up the metal/ammo at the start of a round, getting your gear up as fast as possible at the start of a match is of upmost importance.
If you do use the gunslinger, make sure you use the frontier justice, the crits you build up will save your life and your buildings, because you know those mini sentrys wont last long.
Make sure you know which way your team is attacking from, no point in having a dispenser where nobody can get to it.
Just play lots, learn from mistakes you will make, and watch vids from 'pros' on how they do things.