Kert

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I written all this to answer on a thread but thought it would be easier for people to navigate if I opened this thread.

This is not a -noob guide-, its about how to be pro.

there are 3 important factors;

- Awareness(know everything in map, be there when you are needed "timing" is crucial)
- Predictions(you dont need eyes to see in a dark map, you need mind-map. I am also called maphacker because of this and it feels good to be called cheater.)
- Bravery (do not go back to base with 200 hp or run away from someone stunned or disabled) dont be afraid to die. ( Think about void opening ulti and its at least 4-5 seconds and you run away because you are low health, you will get humiliated. no one wants to experience this noobness in a game)

I wont get into all those in detail because that would mean that I would have to write an article.

I will give quick tips;

- Chose your role before-hand (Support,ganker,semi-carry,carry,team-fighter,nuker) etc.
- Try to master your role. (if you are good support you will always be a wanted person. everyone would love to have good supporter. Regularly everyone tries to be hero and they lose miserably and cry)
- Watch replays with full focus, not like watching cartoon.
- Observe live-games
- Prefer to save your teammate then killing low health enemy.(There are so rare people doing this and I am one of em)

I will try to answer questions and will edit the content above to make an article in the end.

Kert

any particular vids you reccommend?

Try not to watch those youtube clips about one guy getting nice kills. Those are mostly against weak-enemies and they become as strong as roshan early then kill everyone in 3 shot and post it on youtube. Those are not informative. You need "replays"

Most popular clan videos " click here "

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
There's a few reasons why I wouldn't trust a word of this guide.

1) You only have 40 hours currently clocked in DotA 2, and if you're gonna give me some "Oh, well I play HoN/LoL all the time, I know what I'm doing" bullshit, don't. LoL and HoN require considerably less skill than DotA.
2) If you were as amazing as DotA as you make yourself sound, you would've played a few online games and actually got yourself some items, but your DotA BP is completely empty.
3) Timing isn't absolutely crucial, but it's nice to have, but you shouldn't go buying nothing but Gems of True Sight and Sentry Wards so you can have vision constantly, unless there's a fed and dangerous Riki or the enemy team is running a lot of Shadow Blades.
4) I don't know what the fuck "mind-map" is, but you should always have caution when entering areas of the map that you don't have vision on, there may be something there you don't want to run into.
5) There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity. In my honest opinion, people shouldn't be constantly running back to fountain for health or mana, they should have bought regen items to use while in-lane. Also, no one is going to call a 200 health support who's like Level 10 a noob from running away from a fully fed Level 25 2,000+ HP carry, that's common sense, not stupidity.

Kert

I am curious about your age + yes I am very long-time regular dota player and good one. I dont play dota 2 that often. Assumption is tool of fool keep that in mind. Timing is crucial, mind-map is a map in fog but revealed map in your mind, imagined map-hack like its my term so yes you wouldnt know it but anyone could predict the meaning of that term from the sentence.
level 10 and level 25 in same game? thats what I call try to justify yourself with a out-of-world example.

In conclusion, even a stupid person can learn something from anyone just by listening to them. So feel free to get yourself a lesson from this points. This is not a guide its a reality-check.

Twilight

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
There's a few reasons why I wouldn't trust a word of this guide.

1) You only have 40 hours currently clocked in DotA 2, and if you're gonna give me some "Oh, well I play HoN/LoL all the time, I know what I'm doing" bullshit, don't. LoL and HoN require considerably less skill than DotA.
2) If you were as amazing as DotA as you make yourself sound, you would've played a few online games and actually got yourself some items, but your DotA BP is completely empty.
3) Timing isn't absolutely crucial, but it's nice to have, but you shouldn't go buying nothing but Gems of True Sight and Sentry Wards so you can have vision constantly, unless there's a fed and dangerous Riki or the enemy team is running a lot of Shadow Blades.
4) I don't know what the fuck "mind-map" is, but you should always have caution when entering areas of the map that you don't have vision on, there may be something there you don't want to run into.
5) There's a fine line between bravery and stupidity. In my honest opinion, people shouldn't be constantly running back to fountain for health or mana, they should have bought regen items to use while in-lane. Also, no one is going to call a 200 health support who's like Level 10 a noob from running away from a fully fed Level 25 2,000+ HP carry, that's common sense, not stupidity.
I dont play dota2 have about 3 minutes on it, but my gut is telling me to listen to viper on this one

ModSe7en

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
- Bravery - Don't be afraid to die.
- Prefer to save your teammate then killing low health enemy.
I only have 80 hours in DotA, but I'm going to call bullshit on these two.
A. If you're careless like this, you're going to feed the other team and lose the match for yours.
B. If you're a carry/ganker/etc. or underleveled, it's probably more worth it to go in for the kill. Free gold and XP is better than having a support hero live through a fight. Hell, supports were made to support their carry.

Reactions: EvanFlew

Kert

second one is a generalized sentence I admit that yet I dont think bravery and carelessness is same thing. Thanks for your input tho.

Why you feel the need for labeling my 5-6 years of dota experience by calling it "bullshit" i dont understand that part. Try to learn something or put some content for the people who want to learn, no need to troll...

ModSe7en

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Why you feel the need for labeling my 5-6 years of dota experience by calling it "bullshit" i dont understand that part.
No proof of having played Dota, and Steam only shows 40 hours of Dota 2.

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
I am curious about your age + yes I am very long-time regular dota player and good one. I dont play dota 2 that often. Assumption is tool of fool keep that in mind. Timing is crucial, mind-map is a map in fog but revealed map in your mind, imagined map-hack like its my term so yes you wouldnt know it but anyone could predict the meaning of that term from the sentence.
level 10 and level 25 in same game? thats what I call try to justify yourself with a out-of-world example.

In conclusion, even a stupid person can learn something from anyone just by listening to them. So feel free to get yourself a lesson from this points. This is not a guide its a reality-check.

As for my age, I recently turned 23 if you must know.

And Level 10 and 25 can happen in the same game is someone is fed enough, I've seen it happen first hand.

Example screenshot of a game of mine:

To note, I was 7-2-0 when the rest of my team left, I 1v5ed the enemy team until finally the enemy Creeps pushed down the Ancient.

95429F57BD44185D0394C40127576AA9F91B175E

[YDEK] fi$hy k!tty

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
I was thinking that it'd be only one point in the qualification, and it'd be something along the lines of "be korean"

Bottiger

Administrator
HoN requires the most skill. But that doesn't make a game any better or entertaining.

Awareness is a must, and I would expect even intermediate players to know all there is to know about it, and there's not much else you can do. It is stupid to hide every time an enemy disappears from their lane for a short moment and it is generally not possible to be any more "aware" than that.
  • Have people in their lanes tell you if someone is missing.
  • Expect company when people are gone from the minimap for a long time.
  • Have someone in the team use wards in the appropriate places.
There's no such thing as bravery, there is only prediction. The way most beginners fail is if they are at 20% hp, they don't realize that they still have more HP and/or damage (especially an ultimate) than an enemy at 40% HP and they start running.

Here is what many intermediate players are lacking to become experts.
  • There are always good and bad heroes. The people who say only the skill of the player matters are wrong. Look at statistics and replays to find out what they are instead of spending hundreds of hours figuring out yourself. Same goes for item composition.
  • The best heroes for a comp team are not the best heroes for a pub. You can achieve the best results if you have a reliable partner for a combo, but if you are pubbing, it is usually better to pick a more self-sufficient hero.
  • Learn the forest juke spots, they were made to increase the skill ceiling of the game.
  • Use hotkeys for your item slots. This will allow you to do things like nuke a qop to death before they blink.
  • Know how to maximize your gold/hour: choosing when to harass or last hit, when to pull creeps or TP back
  • Know when to push before the other team with more or better carries overwhelms you. If you push too early however, you will just end up letting them farm more comfortably.
  • Focus fire on the hero that is killing your team. Usually this means a carry, but it can also be a disabler like shaman.
Credentials

Dota: clan tda, ihl, some other exclusive leagues that no one probably remembers anymore.
HoN: 1750 MMR
LoL: Never grinded enough to get up to max level, but I am sure Airakah can vouch for my skill.

Reactions: bunnyf00d