BadGuy

Server-Clearing Cynic
*WARNING: TEXT MONSTER IMMINENT. TOXIC AND DOKI, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED*

Deployments coming soon

Going through the standard throughs. Talking with the big wigs from my squadron, giving me their safe passage, the old crusties of the squadron giving me their jaded demoralizing experiences, friends who haven't deployed yet gettin envious and saying how lucky I am. It'll be another big life shift though. So ends my point of being a prep student of the military and an actual real time asset for our troops abroad. It's an event so huge I can't help but let it redefine my identity. In a few months time I'll earn the right to be called a "Veteran" at the age of 22.

This is exciting and terrifying for me at the same time. I would imagine myself as a superhero or something silly when I was a kid. I would love video games like Mario and Star Fox to play out my fantasies of being a hero and destroying the dastardly villian. Now in about a month and a half that dream will become a reality, marching forward to a podunk wasteland of a country to destroy a terror in a cave my country has named "An unspeakable evil". My slaying of the dragon and my passage into godhood as that superhero I always wanted to be.

I think of these twisted images and also think to question them and their justice would be... unpatriotic. To think that the killing of an enemy for the good of your country is wrong is a crime close to getting yourself a court marshall. We have to forget such pleasentries of true peace, for none can exist so much as the enemy exists. As long as the enemy exists, my home is in danger, my friends are in danger, my lover is in danger. Whether I believe this is true enough is of no consequence. The "enemy" is the "enemy of all" in our eyes, that deserve no human kindness nor quarter.

I think this is the mentality of the soldier. This is my mentality as a soldier. But it is not MY mentality, it is the mentality of me as a soldier. It is my bulletproof vest to guard myself from the truth of legalized murder is still murder. It is my justification as a soldier to continue to fight so long as their is breath in my lungs and hope in my heart. This is our sermon we follow, and we sleep soundly at night because of it.

I don't know what'll happen though the first time I pull that trigger. Don't know if I'll feel the pride that the government has tried to instill in me these past years, or will I feel disgust. Will I feel shame. Will I feel guilty. Will I feel less than a human.

TL;DR
I'm worried about this deployment ._.

Reactions: CiNiC

Doki

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
In the hopes of avoiding a shitstorm, I'm just going to say good luck.

Bottiger

Administrator
437pxclarinetboymonster.jpg

RisenDemon

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Should you fall in battle, we will hold a memorial here at Skial in your remembrance.
Should you return from battle, we will celebrate your triumph.
Should you return scarred, we will will help you ease the pain.
Should you return a monster, we will cower in fear (most of us anyways)

BadGuy

Server-Clearing Cynic
I played clarinet in middle school :o

ZOMG

also we do not have this dude in our face database.
heh.png
mfw clarinet boy

ALSO, thanks guys ._.

Lord Scrambles

Face-Melting F2Per
Holy shit. This was actually beautiful. At first I expected the typical bombardment of "Me soldier, soldier good, terrorist bad, me kill terrorist and make big hero!" Instead, I was treated to the great ideals that I see so rarely now a-days; compassion, perspective, wisdom. To see someone actually question the act of killing in war, brings me hope that we still may retain some of what makes man kind good.

I lament what you must now do, as I'm sure you do as well. I've seen death, it changes you. I can't even imagine what it must feel like to be the one doing the killing. So, in my loss of words, advice, or any real knowledge on what you're about to face, I mind myself wishing you good luck. I hope that's enough.

And remember. No matter what someone tells you, no matter whos giving the order or what they're ordering you to do; you always have a choice. For what it's worth, I consider you to be a... Not-So-Badguy.

Bottiger

Administrator
I knew a Navy Seal. He never told me about any problems he had with killing.

All he had to say about it was that he made a pretty good living and the military never sent them on missions where they had a high chance of dying because "they spent millions" training him.

Gen.mcMuster

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
I knew a Navy Seal. He never told me about any problems he had with killing.

All he had to say about it was that he made a pretty good living and the military never sent them on missions where they had a high chance of dying because "they spent millions" training him.

^this

Plus you're In the air force right? It's not like you're Marine recon or anything.

BadGuy

Server-Clearing Cynic
That is the same shpiel. I'm not at all worried about dieing, even though its a low risk but very real factor. And they literally have spent millions on training for :T. I'm just in that 1% of the air force that actually does the cool shit you see in that over exaggerated commercial. I work with marine recon guys. Hell we went to school together. I just dunno how ill be after my first real mission. probably no different... just another huge event in life at the moment.

Mark

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
That is the same shpiel. I'm not at all worried about dieing, even though its a low risk but very real factor. And they literally have spent millions on training for :T. I'm just in that 1% of the air force that actually does the cool shit you see in that over exaggerated commercial. I work with marine recon guys. Hell we went to school together. I just dunno how ill be after my first real mission. probably no different... just another huge event in life at the moment.
Considering your name is CompassCall, I take it you work in the Heavy Air-Craft department?

Gen.mcMuster

I wasn't talking about you getting shot. I was mainly getting the point across that you probably won't have to pull the trigger(unlike "front line" troops). You're going to be a transport pilot right? or am I mistaken?

RisenDemon

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Aside from what your actual mission is, what is your actual position? I.e pilot, gunner, etc. (I apologize if the question is too intrusive)

BadGuy

Server-Clearing Cynic
I wasn't talking about you getting shot. I was mainly getting the point across that you probably won't have to pull the trigger(unlike "front line" troops). You're going to be a transport pilot right? or am I mistaken?

LOL no, I'm not an officer/ pilot, i work for a living. I work with all branches of the military and keep them safe. I also fly in planes of the heavy variety like mark said. Feel free to put 2 and 2 together, i can't give you the answer but i wont confirm or deny its right

Gen.mcMuster

LOL no, I'm not an officer/ pilot, i work for a living. I work with all branches of the military and keep them safe. I also fly in planes of the heavy variety like mark said. Feel free to put 2 and 2 together, i can't give you the answer but i wont confirm or deny its right

KK sorry if i was to intrusive or missed the point of you're OP.

.......so you work in the air-motor-pool than?