Defibyoulater

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Note 1: This suggestion is (currently) hypothetical and is just simple brainstorming. It is subject to feedback which could alter the suggestion over time due to community thought.

Note 2: This was not entirely inspired by fairnesspleases' recent suggestion, it's been in thought before then. Only after did I see certain people +1'ing fp's suggestion did I consider making this suggestion.

The suggestion is refining the entire discrimination rule, which mind you is ...

Racism and other discrimination towards gender, religion, and sexual orientation.
  • Any form of the word nigger (nigga, nigg etc.) is not allowed even if you are just quoting a rap song or you are black, to prevent racists and kids using the same excuse.
  • Generic insults (faggot, whore, etc.) by themselves do not classify as discrimination.

... into this ...
"Any player who engages in any form of discrimination is subject to being silenced at the admins' discretion"
(kudoes to Baek for wording)

The new rule heightens tolerance to discrimination in-game.

These kinds of 'social' rules do change over time. An example was the lack of clarity regarding the 'mic-spamming music' rule. Many users got muted in the past for any form of playing music over the mic, as did Jake from VSH. But on the day that Jake was muted, the VSH server (who unanimously enjoyed Jakes mic-music) helped conclude the idea that as long as the community likes the music (with good mic quality) the player was not subject to a silence. Jake was unmuted and from that day forward the rule was refined which lead to a large decrease in cases regarding mic-spamming music.

Almost 35% of reports against players are based on racism, most of those being the simple usage of slurs (some we often hear in public). This suggestion leads way to also decrease the number of issues regarding 'discrimination'. For, let's be honest, the internet is NOT a safe space and all players are expected to bring a certain level of callousness when playing R-Rated (multiplayer) games. And if Skial is trying to achieve "safe space," (which many of us hope its not) then words like whore and faggot should be silencable.

And as Baekr has stated before ...
Skial doesn't benefit from having more people silenced or banned.

This next part is the most debatable, as it lays down the line in which a player can be muted for their 'discriminating actions' ...
This suggestion also implies that when a user is silenced by an "admins discretion," is when a admin concludes that the guilty player has crossed a line of 'fowl mouthing' and 'common game chat' to actual harassment of a specific player.

Another debatable question is ...
If this suggestion goes through, will it also apply to the forums?

Otherwise, it is in big hopes that this suggestion makes skial more fun environment and lowers the amount of work for our admin team.

That is all. Big thank you to DaivdBaekr for his important input.

Reactions: Slip

Toxik

Contributor
That's why there's an appeal section.
I think there are enough "my brother did it" appeals, a handful of admins abusing their power would mean a lot more "I was banned unfairly for triggering an admin" appeals to be handled by the rest of the admins

White Moose

Positively Inhumane Poster
-1 the amendment is to subjective
all of skials rules are non subjective (as far as i can tell)

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I think there are enough "my brother did it" appeals, a handful of admins abusing their power would mean a lot more "I was banned unfairly for triggering an admin" appeals to be handled by the rest of the admins
I'm not suggesting using that as the only rule, just an addendum to the rules. Which will cover what the OP is suggesting.

Reactions: Defibyoulater

Defibyoulater

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I don't wanna sound like I support complete discrimination, but what you guys think if we got rid of the discrimination rule entirely? And it only become a admin issue if it went beyond discrimination to actual harassment (i.e. releasing info without consent, DDOXes, viable stalking threats)

Or do you think that would go too far?

Toxik

Contributor
I don't wanna sound like I support complete discrimination, but what you guys think if we got rid of the discrimination rule entirely? And it only become a admin issue if it went beyond discrimination to actual harassment (i.e. releasing info without consent, DDOXes, viable stalking threats)

Or do you think that would go too far?
I think we need to be careful, there is a fine line between making Skial a "safe space" free of harassment and letting it become a place so toxic with assholes who can say whatever they want no one will play there anymore

I think you did a good effort on this proposal but the way we've been doing it so far seems to be the most efficient