Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yeah I couldnt do all of that. Im to honest and would be the one they would catch. Ill get a new pwr supply and see how it goes. Hell i cant even take more than one napkin at 5 guys without feeling like a criminal.

If that doesn't help hit me up on steam and we'll see if we can fix it like we did last time.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
cooler master

That brand has been doing some shady practices

They've been selling off some power supplies that are way below the advertised wattage, and their standard power supplies have been having some rather high failure rates which usually involve the power supply nearly catching fire

This is what I dug up from consumer reviews a few months back when I was looking for a power supply anyway

So point is it may be a risky brand to go with

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
That brand has been doing some shady practices

They've been selling off some power supplies that are way below the advertised wattage, and their standard power supplies have been having some rather high failure rates which usually involve the power supply nearly catching fire

This is what I dug up from consumer reviews a few months back when I was looking for a power supply anyway

So point is it may be a risky brand to go with

^
I no longer patronize cooler master. This is 100% accurate.

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
So it is my mobo. Now I guess my next move would be to take out the ram, vid card, hd and power. Those are my additions since I bought the comp 4 yrs ago.
They dont make this mobo and processor anymore so I will just get a new board and processor.

My question is this, how do I figure out what to get with the parts I can keep? Can I keepthis case with the new parts?

It is a FX6800-01e as far as case and mobo.
vid card is a geforce gtx 660
I cant remember the exact memory specs.

I of course cant afford the kind of rig most of you have and need to keep it reasonable but not needing an upgrade right after I install it.

Thanks for the help.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
So it is my mobo. Now I guess my next move would be to take out the ram, vid card, hd and power. Those are my additions since I bought the comp 4 yrs ago.
They dont make this mobo and processor anymore so I will just get a new board and processor.

My question is this, how do I figure out what to get with the parts I can keep? Can I keepthis case with the new parts?

It is a FX6800-01e as far as case and mobo.
vid card is a geforce gtx 660
I cant remember the exact memory specs.

I of course cant afford the kind of rig most of you have and need to keep it reasonable but not needing an upgrade right after I install it.

Thanks for the help.

The GTX 660's are PCI-express 3.0 x16 so they should fit most modern boards, but make sure the board supports it before buying it

Power supply I don't see why you couldnt reuse it assuming its big enough for the upgrades

RAM also depends on the motherboard. You can't put DDR2 RAM in a DDR3 slot and so on. The websites displaying your prebuilt's specs are so vague it doesn't tell what type of RAM you have

Case I assume should also be reusable, as long as you get a appropiate sized motherboard and the parts actually physically fit. Hell I'm running modern parts in a 12 year old HP case

chuckwagon

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
It is DDR3 and the powersupply is 850w.
You can use pcpartpicker.com to check potential builds to be sure that there are no incompatibilities and to make sure the wattage is ok.

Put in the parts you have then you can shop for mobos and cpus to see what is compatible in your price range.

bluehawk

Legendary Skial King
just buy a brand new computer. If you didnt build the computer or have no idea how to I would just recommend buying a brand new computer. You cant just replace mobo there is more to it. just keep the vid card

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
just buy a brand new computer. If you didnt build the computer or have no idea how to I would just recommend buying a brand new computer. You cant just replace mobo there is more to it. just keep the vid card

His parts excluding his dated processor and mobo are all still good. He could save a shit ton of money by simply replacing the mobo and upgrading a processor, even if he paid someone to put the parts together and has to buy a new copy of windows to go along with it it would still come out as a fraction of the cost of a new computer with just as much power.

Replacing mobos are very doable too. If the parts are compatible it will work, very worst case scenario it may require a hard drive reformat and / or a new copy of windows, but again even so it would still be a lot cheaper than buying a new computer.

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I have built a computer. I just figured it would be cheaper to keep the parts I have and go from there. I also thought a few suggestions on the route I could take would save me some cash. I am comfortable building the rig, just not as keen on what parts to get.

Thanks to all for the input. I will let you know how it turns our.

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
So I have built a new rig. Want to thank everyone for the help and suggestions. Special shout out to Meowcenary for helping me get the correct and most cost effective parts.

Reactions: Chance