Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Ok so I have no idea where to start but here it goes...

a month or so ago my comp will no longer start up. When I hit the power button it tries to start, fans and hd start and after 5 or so seconds it just stops. I dont get anything on my screen during this short time.
I have unplugged the vid card and tried to start it as well as the ram.

I have a i7 intel with 3 sticks of 2 gig ram and a 850 w pwr. Vid card is gforce gtx660. Not sure what other info I need to give.

Any help would be appreciated as due to real life i cant afford to replace piece by piece. Thanks in advance.

[S.I.B.] Wolf Princess Von Toto

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Try another powersupply, most likely your 12v rail is going and you will just have to replace the psu or RMA it if its still in warranty.

Edit: had this issue with an xfx 850, rail wouldnt reach its proper voltage and would shut off///refuse to startup. Thankfully I had another psu from an old comp that I had rma'd in which they sent me a brand new one and I hadn't opened yet

Avenger

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Sounds like what happened to the power supply for my laptop a couple years back, found another one amidst my dad's computer cache and it worked quite nicely. Probably a fair bet in my honest and/or humble opinion

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Does it ever turn on or just for the 5 seconds and then powers off? if you can get to the bios check its voltage, if its running within .1-.2 its fine if its larger its faulty, as the psu that i had the issue with also had a faulty 3.3v that was running at 2.7

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Unfortunately I do not have an extra power supply so i will have to get another one. it is the cheaper of the potential replacements.

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Yeah i cannot even get to bios. I dont even think it last the 5 secs. When i do 1st start it it does the usual startup noise right of the get go and then i hear a click noise immediately as it shuts off.

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Unfortunately I do not have an extra power supply so i will have to get another one. it is the cheaper of the potential replacements.
check the warranty of the one in the computer, i always like having spares on hand of random parts incase something dies. So yes get a new one but if its in warranty still RMA.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Feel free to message me if you need help, at any time.

Though I'd stake my money on power supply.

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Yeah ill try th power supply and see how it goes. Hopefully it works. Unfortunately i will have to wai a couple weeks to get it due to funds. Thank you for th input and will let you know when it replaced.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Yeah ill try th power supply and see how it goes. Hopefully it works. Unfortunately i will have to wai a couple weeks to get it due to funds. Thank you for th input and will let you know when it replaced.

You can always buy it from a local store, test it out, and then return it after you did the diagnostic.

Reactions: Toxik

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Not to go down the dishonest track here or anything, but you could always buy the same exact PSU (Assuming you already have an aftermarket PSU) that you already have and then return the broken one for a full refund. Nothing beats a free replacement ;-)

This is assuming that is the issue to begin with.

Reactions: Toxik

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Not to go down the dishonest track here or anything, but you could always buy the same exact PSU (Assuming you already have an aftermarket PSU) that you already have and then return the broken one for a full refund. Nothing beats a free replacement ;-)

This is assuming that is the issue to begin with.

That's a good way to get arrested.

Genocide

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
That's a good way to get arrested.
I worked retail for over 10 years. Nobody ever got arrest for that lol. However if you wish to link me a single case of anyone ever getting arrested for that scheme, by all means let me know. Would be interesting :p

Last edited:

Deadfront

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Yeah I couldnt do all of that. Im to honest and would be the one they would catch. Ill get a new pwr supply and see how it goes. Hell i cant even take more than one napkin at 5 guys without feeling like a criminal.

Reactions: Snoop Doge