Status
Not open for further replies.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
This suggestion is just to change or add something to the current message displayed in-game as an attempt to attract more users to the forums.

Because this is boring:
2013-01-05_2252.png

something like "Type !forum to visit our forums - it's fun and free!" or "Type !forum to visit our forums - FREE CAKE!"

While this may seem wacky/silly/stupid that is exactly the kind of message that is needed to get people's attention and actually join the forums. I know I would have joined much sooner at the promise of free cake, even if i knew it was a lie.

I just think that something less sterile and more fun that will actually catch someone's eye while playing can only encourage more users to come here. Often times in game I hear people have ideas about maps and changes and I try to tell them to come to the forums to make a suggestion and they don't seem to even know there are forums, even though that same bland message is telling them so every 30 seconds. Or they have other questions/comments about Skial and the answers to which can be found here if only they would bother looking.

Anyway I can't think of a reason notto have a fun "join the forum!" message or a rotation of different fun/silly messages.

Edit:
Since it seems people want a more professional approach and more eye catching here are some better examples

Type !forum to visit our forums - Join the community!

Type !forum to visit Skial forums - More than just servers

Trades, Raffles, & More - Type !forum to visit our forums or visit Skial.com/forum today

Any message like these or hell even put them all on some kind of rotation is bound to get new users to join the forums.

The point is to get attention and encourage new users to join the forums. And as a few have pointed out in this thread they didn't even know there was an existing message in game.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
It might just be me noticing them more often with the new colours, but it feels like their frequency has increased as well.

Yeah I think so too... but it's cool you can't help but notice the messages now whereas before people had no clue how to /votemenu or even that there WAS a forum message.

Kairi

Banned
Contributor
Can the colours get changed back? Because colourblinds have troubles with certain colours..

Kairi

Banned
Contributor
Different colorblind people have problems with different colors. I'm pretty sure there's no universal color all colorblind people can see precisely.
No but the too dark or too light can be difficult to read because of the background.
You said you needed to sleep because you have a test tomorrow. Go to bed allready!!

Giildy

Australian Skial God
Contributor
No but the too dark or too light can be difficult to read because of the background.
You said you needed to sleep because you have a test tomorrow. Go to bed allready!!
can you find some colorblind friend to give examples of colors that would work better? It's hard to fix w/o knowing exactly how to make it better
:)

Reactions: LadyPimpernel

sov

Legendary Skial King
Since it seems people want a more professional approach and more eye catching here are some better examples

Type !forum to visit our forums - Join the community!

Type !forum to visit Skial forums - More than just servers

Trades, Raffles, & More - Type !forum to visit our forums or visit Skial.com/forum today

Any message like these or hell even put them all on some kind of rotation is bound to get new users to join the forums.

The point is to get attention and encourage new users to join the forums. And as a few have pointed out in this thread they didn't even know there was an existing message in game.

Also bump

Thats actually good and convincing.

Espeacially :
anything in the stars in maybe an extra piece but still the best one.

Type !forum to visit Skial forums - More than just servers* ,its a community*

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
It's the same for a lot of people viewing the chat feed, depending on the type and severity of colour blindness player names, etc. can be hard to read. The chat messages from skial are only something that you need to read once or twice.
The only text that would truly suit everyone would be white, but then it would be pointless as an advertising medium if it doesnt stand out in some way from the rest of the text.

Anything that is hard to read can be highlighted in the chat, not ideal I know, but whatever colour is used would give someone a problem to someone.
1Ygnv

[YDEK] fi$hy k!tty

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
I'm not sure if I'm bumping something that's too old, but I was just wondering, did any of the new messages inviting people to the forums include the idea of suggestions themselves?

For example, I know that on Dustbowl NY2, people were discussing the idea of one of the servers rotating skins of Dustbowl (Dustbowl Night/Lushbowl/etc.) but no one really knew where to go about doing so or who to ask.

The general consensus ended up being, "So... do we talk to an admin or something? Bottiger himself? Has anyone ever seen Bottiger? Who's Bottiger?"

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I'm not sure if I'm bumping something that's too old, but I was just wondering, did any of the new messages inviting people to the forums include the idea of suggestions themselves?

For example, I know that on Dustbowl NY2, people were discussing the idea of one of the servers rotating skins of Dustbowl (Dustbowl Night/Lushbowl/etc.) but no one really knew where to go about doing so or who to ask.

The general consensus ended up being, "So... do we talk to an admin or something? Bottiger himself? Has anyone ever seen Bottiger? Who's Bottiger?"

Only the main message was changed. It went from "Type !forum to visit our forums" to "Type /forum to visit our forums at Skial.com" with new coloring.

If you have an idea like that on the server with other players simply make a new suggestion thread in this section. I can tell you now though that the Dustbowl remap thing would probably not go through since custom versions don't show up on quickplay.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor

This made me think of all the hilarious suggestions that would be made if we had /suggest work in a similiar way to /report, with it's own sub forum, that would be comedy gold right there. maybe it has the potential to work, and bring in some damn fine suggestions? chances are it would be to hard to filter out the inane, food for thought though.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
This made me think of all the hilarious suggestions that would be made if we had /suggest work in a similiar way to /report, with it's own sub forum, that would be comedy gold right there. maybe it has the potential to work, and bring in some damn fine suggestions? chances are it would be to hard to filter out the inane, food for thought though.

The dumb suggestions would outnumber legit ones 5-1. I would be behind this if people weren't immature.

For now though we have a forums message... once people come here they can see that there is a place for suggestions.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The dumb suggestions would outnumber legit ones 5-1. I would be behind this if people weren't immature.

For now though we have a forums message... once people come here they can see that there is a place for suggestions.
I wasn't suggesting actualy putting it into place :D as I said, it would be to hard to filter out the inane, some would be damn funny though.

[YDEK] fi$hy k!tty

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
custom versions don't show up on quickplay.
Oh, okay. I remember Ruelel eventually saying that it wouldn't happen but didn't explain why, so thank you for clearing that up :p

Lol, well I'd have to agree that it's much more likely to just be filled with pages of spam if the command was directly in-game. Just lots of "edgy" stuff from immature kids. It's much better to just have a more visible way of bringing people to the forums and then continuing from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.