Bonzane

Mildly Menacing Medic
On skial.com trade US, the map was recently changed to trade_portal2_beta5, but there seems to be a unanimous agreement that the former map was better. I have seen a lot of people complaining about the new (well actually old) map. Personally, I don't hate trade_portal2_beta 5 but compared to the previous map it's not as good so I would just like to represent the vast majority of skial trade server players. Also, I think it is in the best interest of Skial to switch back because many players have been turned away by map switch. In general, trade_portal2_v9 is better because it is bigger with more places to run and places to fight, as well as having secret rooms and is overall more aesthetically appealing and more grapple-friendly (the invisible barriers and confusing map structure can be a bit annoying for moving around in general, especially for new players who aren't familiar with them).

Edit: I would also like to add that the darker color scheme and lighting of the old map is better because it makes cosmetics and unusual effects much easier to see, especially from a distance whereas beta5 has limited visibility distance and bright lighting.

Reactions: DragonHaert

Bottiger

Administrator
This is the oldest trade server in TF2, it was the 2nd trade server to ever exist. It used to be full 24/7/365. Saying that it is normal for the server to be less active during the school year is a bad excuse.

We used to have 3 trade servers like this and now we are down to 1 and it empties out at night now. Meanwhile there are communities out there running 5+ copies of trade_plaza2 that get filled every single day. This is completely unacceptable.

If things continue this way, the server will be dead, and I am willing to bet you will not be exploring the map if it has 1 player on it. If you like exploring, there's always idle or even jailbreak.

I'd rather try to turn things around (and risk losing all our regulars) than to accept the slow and eventual death of the server because we somehow got into a niche for people that like to explore the map but is causing the vast majority of traders to leave.

EZPZLMNSQYZ

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Then have fun losing the player base you have right now. People don't enjoy US exclusively for it's trading anymore and it;s because of the regulars that most new players decide to return. If you want to kill "The oldest trade server in tf2 that still exists" go through with changing the map.

EZPZLMNSQYZ

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
It's not the map that attracts players, but you probably wouldn't understand that seeing how you run the rest of your servers :)

Metroidz

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It's not the map that attracts players, but you probably wouldn't understand that seeing how you run the rest of your servers :)

How many community servers do you own and run? I'd love to hear your track record on the matter.

Bottiger

Administrator
I know it is a risk that you and some regulars will leave, but it is a risk I'm willing to take.

The server has been gradually dying, even after the v5 line was updated to v9. Staying on this same path hasn't helped the server and will guarentee its death.

And how is the way we run the rest of our servers a problem, given that we have 60% more players on them since last month? :)

Bonzane

Mildly Menacing Medic
To me (and by no means am I an expert on this) is seems like either the server will slowly die out with team fortress itself or struggle to find players in the first place. Without the regulars and the community, who will join as soon as the player count drops below 5?

Bottiger

Administrator
To me (and by no means am I an expert on this) is seems like either the server will slowly die out with team fortress itself or struggle to find players in the first place. Without the regulars and the community, who will join as soon as the player count drops below 5?

What makes you think our trade server is doing fine and it is just TF2 dying? Other communities are able to fill 5 trade_plaza2 clones every day. Doesn't that tell you that there's something wrong with the server even when it has the benefit of being the oldest trade server?

If it isn't "the map that attracts players", then I don't know why you are threatening to leave just because of the map. At least stay and see if you like the new edits that Jermaphobe is making with beta5?

We've been doing this for 10 years now, and I know when a server is dying and something needs to be changed. If the thing that needs to be changed is something you personally like, that is unfortunate, but the long term survival of the server takes precedence over personal preferences.

catgirl dumpster

TF2 Admin
Contributor
20190718140419_1.jpg

20190718140757_1.jpg

20190718140922_1.jpg

I mean people came around after you changed the server map :/
Unusual traders tend to flex in spawn more than outside the map.