Bonzane

Mildly Menacing Medic
On skial.com trade US, the map was recently changed to trade_portal2_beta5, but there seems to be a unanimous agreement that the former map was better. I have seen a lot of people complaining about the new (well actually old) map. Personally, I don't hate trade_portal2_beta 5 but compared to the previous map it's not as good so I would just like to represent the vast majority of skial trade server players. Also, I think it is in the best interest of Skial to switch back because many players have been turned away by map switch. In general, trade_portal2_v9 is better because it is bigger with more places to run and places to fight, as well as having secret rooms and is overall more aesthetically appealing and more grapple-friendly (the invisible barriers and confusing map structure can be a bit annoying for moving around in general, especially for new players who aren't familiar with them).

Edit: I would also like to add that the darker color scheme and lighting of the old map is better because it makes cosmetics and unusual effects much easier to see, especially from a distance whereas beta5 has limited visibility distance and bright lighting.

Reactions: DragonHaert

catgirl dumpster

TF2 Admin
Contributor
+1

spawn room feels like its caving in on you >~<
too damn tiny aaaaa
you cant even play hide n seek on it
there just isnt enough room to do any goofy shenanigans :C
AND I MISS THE SECRET ROOMS.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
I'm indifferent toward either version, but v9's fatal flaw is just how huge it is. The majority of the map is dead space that is hardly used, it makes the server look empty than it actually is.

Having things to do and places to go is fine, but a majority of the map is just wasted space

PaPa Moon

Scarcely Lethal Noob
too small, fog is bad, ugly map, toxic rtd under enemy spawn is stinky, weird invisible walls, not a fan :(

catgirl dumpster

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Dead space gives you the room to do your own thing :c You could setup several sentry nests. Do conga lines without people getting in your face. Snipers had a wider area for their tryhard strats. This map just restricts you to one area more or less. Kills the fun really.

NGL I liked the original portal map more but i'm unsure which version was used by skial.
It didnt have any secret rooms but it wasn't too huge nor too small. It was the right size. Could just revert back to that one?

Anything is better than what the server is running rn.

EZPZLMNSQYZ

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
There is no wasted space. The map size is perfect, and everybody thinks the same thing for the most part.

Bonzane

Mildly Menacing Medic
Also, right now the blue team is spawncamping the entire red team and there is no second way out.

Bonzane

Mildly Menacing Medic
We need to stop making it Jerma's problem and throwing needless shade, we need the owner to know that a trade plaza clone is not what we want and not why people play skial, and it will only cause a loss of players.

Last edited:

Bottiger

Administrator
v9 does look better than beta5, but I think the design is going the wrong way. Jerma is working on an improved version of beta5.

I was in the server a few times and blue spawn was completely empty while there were only a few people in red spawn.

This isn't conducive to trading. People want to see what other people are wearing to trade with them and seeing very few people around tends to make people quit.

You may like to explore, but when I see a bunch of trade plaza servers being filled, and this server is starting to drop off despite being the oldest trade server in tf2....something needs to be changed.

EZPZLMNSQYZ

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
I'm sorry to alarm you bottiger... but a lot of the people who play on Skial US Trade aren't serious traders. People join the server for the community and the uniqueness of the map compared to all other trade servers. Also, the server has been full quite a bit recently, something that didn't happen often during the school year for obvious reasons. Why you feel the need to change the map when all regulars enjoy v9 is strange to me. Even if you do think you will be able to bring in "legit" traders, you will be losing the player base that came here for what I previously stated. Please think about your decision!

EZPZLMNSQYZ

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
And it's not to say that people don't come here to trade. They just expect a little more than what other trade servers provide. Instead of trying to compare to the other garbo trade servers you should worry about the unique attributes that US Trade has.

EZPZLMNSQYZ

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Even more, after you've given players a taste of v9 and how fun it was they obviously won't enjoy a drab, straight forward, flat map like all the other servers.

Bonzane

Mildly Menacing Medic
From my personal experience, I've rarely seen players trade based off of seeing loadouts, but way more often over mic and text advertisements. I have seen this server filled with all 32 slots often, so I don't really see it necessary to restrict the players to another small map just like every other server, even when the overwhelming majority prefer the larger map. I guess it's really just a question of balancing quantity and quality of community. Also, if there isn't an incentive to join one server over another in the first place, as soon as the server drops below just a couple of players it is going to be extremely difficult to get it back up. But with skial, people have a reason to join even if there is only 5 or 10 other people on the server; because it is more fun and there are some pretty cool people. Otherwise, people would just find another trade server with more players on it.