AgentApple50

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
First off, I want to state that I'm alI for allowing people to play whatever and however they like, but I just want to share my beliefs as to why I think Sentry Guns should be an exception to this rule, and should ultimately be banned from being built on the server.

Engineer specializes in area-denial. As an Engineer, you typically want to place your Sentry Gun near a choke point or objective to prevent the enemy from making progress. However, this Hightower server has a slight modification. The Payloads are completely immobile and cannot be moved by any means.

This is a problem. Since the server is strictly Deathmatch, your objective is to get kills and practice your skills at the game. Sentry Guns don't take any effort and you don't improve by placing them. All you do is prevent other players from entering a section of the map, which is frustrating to play against. In fact, I've heard Engineer players tell me they place Sentry Guns simply because they know it makes people annoyed or angry.

What ends up happening is once one person goes Engineer and starts placing Sentry Guns, more people start going Engineer. This leads to a majority of the map being filled with Sentry Guns, which makes the map unbearable for players and ruins the experience for everyone.

I think that if Sentry Guns were banned on Hightower, the server would become much more fun for everyone.

Please let me know what you think, cheers!

Gamer4605

Banned
I don’t think sentries should go outright, but if they’re using gunslinger purely to piss people off then its clearly a dick move, just using sentries isn’t a problem here it’s the intent to anger people by ruining their fun
+0 I honestly don’t know

AgentApple50

Yeah but why would anyone play engineer without being able to place sentries.
There are many reasons. Maybe you want to build a flank teleporter with the Eureka Effect and catch people off guard. Maybe you want to taze people to death with the Short Circuit. Maybe you wanna mess around with the Widowmaker. The list goes on.

• Dumb
Reactions: Seminal Inhalation

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
There are many reasons. Maybe you want to build a flank teleporter with the Eureka Effect and catch people off guard. Maybe you want to taze people to death with the Short Circuit. Maybe you wanna mess around with the Widowmaker. The list goes on.
Maybe I want to build a sentry

AgentApple50

I hope I can get some input from people who play the server eventually. Also, it's fine to agree or disagree, but making a post with the sole purpose of insulting me contributes nothing.

Seminal Inhalation

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
I hope I can get some input from people who play the server eventually. Also, it's fine to agree or disagree, but making a post with the sole purpose of insulting me contributes nothing.
I'll put your logic into other perspectives:

Sniper takes little effort. He just stands in 1 spot zooming down his scope. We need to remove sniper rifles from hightower.

Heavy takes little effort and just moves slowly while firing his minigun. He ruins the fun for everybody so we need to remove heavy's miniguns.

Medic takes no effort to play. You press M1 once with medi-gun and heal and do NO DAMAGE! This isn't fun to do so we need to remove medi-guns from Hightower to make it more fun.

Demo is a troll class. He just spams the stickybombs and hits pipe bombs. What is the fun? Remove his stickybombs from hightower.

Pyro ruins the fun. Everybody goes around holding M1 and setting people on fire most time not getting kill! It is a troll and flamethrowers need to be removed from hightower so we can have fun.

AgentApple50

I'll put your logic into other perspectives:

Sniper takes little effort. He just stands in 1 spot zooming down his scope. We need to remove sniper rifles from hightower.

Heavy takes little effort and just moves slowly while firing his minigun. He ruins the fun for everybody so we need to remove heavy's miniguns.

Medic takes no effort to play. You press M1 once with medi-gun and heal and do NO DAMAGE! This isn't fun to do so we need to remove medi-guns from Hightower to make it more fun.

Demo is a troll class. He just spams the stickybombs and hits pipe bombs. What is the fun? Remove his stickybombs from hightower.

Pyro ruins the fun. Everybody goes around holding M1 and setting people on fire most time not getting kill! It is a troll and flamethrowers need to be removed from hightower so we can have fun.
The thing is the classes you've listed take effort to play and have the potential to be improved on.

Playing Sniper works on your ability to get Headshots on difficult targets like Scouts or rocket-jumping Soldiers.

I'll admit that Heavy doesn't really take much effort when compared to other classes, but as Heavy you still need to track the enemy. You don't get kills by existing.

Playing Pyro allows you to practice your reflecting, reflect jumping, flares, etc.

Playing Demoman means you get to work on mastering your pipes, stickies, or even trimping skills.

As Medic you can work on your Crusader Crossbow skills, or just have fun as a Battle Medic.

The Engineer's Sentry has none of that. It's all completely automated and all the Engineer needs to do is place his Sentry, and he'll get free kills from unsuspecting players from there.

This is also why I'm saying to ban the Engineer's Sentry, not the Engineer class himself.

In the end though, I don't see this discussion going anywhere. I think the problem is that I'm just taking the server too seriously, so sorry about that.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Hate engineers too, but I think they should be allowed to play there. Just go direct hit or demo and ruin them until they get bored of it.

Queen Elizabeth

Mildly Menacing Medic
Engi is good if the enemy has lots of scouts/agro pyros, feel weird to just remove a good counter to those classes. Also taking away sentries from the engineer is the same thing as removing engineer, thats the whole point of the class.

Node

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Though I understand your stance that sentries create massive area of denials on the map and that it can be hard to destroy them due to the maps layout, it is still possible to destroy them with enough team effort (uber push, destract and have a demo/solider take it out, spy sapping). I don't think banning a part of the game is smart as that opens the conversation for banning other parts of the games due to inconvenience.

herp 105.4

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Contributor
FF2 Balancer
Are you okay? Do you have anything worthwhile to contribute?
everything you have written wasnt a worthwhile contribution, so why should i?
you know what? fuck it
is that sentry over there causing too much trouble? pick an explosive class
too shit to use an explosive? pick spy
too shit to fucking even sap something? play a different game
honestly what is wrong with you? just because you dont like area denial isnt the engineer's problem, its yours and the fact that you think that its a valid argument is so laughable i might die from hysteria

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Okay, but why? What are you defending?
Sentries aren’t only used for defense. You can set up minis for quick offense or scuttle your sentry closer to where the action is to do some damage.

Engineer is also the only class I can reliably play with one hand so I can eat something with the other. Don’t take that away from us.

Reactions: Xinny