michael doe

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Oh look, it's another admin applicant bitching that he has never seen an admin while he has a lack of admins on friend list and has never made a report thread
for i have added admins to adress issues, atm i still have gwor.rtc added and have added admins in an attempt to have one address an issue while they occur. yes im complaining about a lack of admins, id welcome a close examination of the amount of time admins spend on vsh, if they go on and i miss it then clearly ive just missed it. i fail to see the issue with having a main vsh admin since by all accounts there does not appear to be one. especially given the ammount of maps on vsh i think someone with extensive knowledge of the maps is very useful. also i have periodically attempted to use the in game reporting mechanism, but given the amount of things in chat explaining what the report is since it disappears into chat and then getting them to use the votereport command within the 30 seconds is pretty hard. i usually play for >1hour often much longer and given i stay alive it is very inconvenient to screenshot enough evidence to file an actionable report and given false votes occur at around every other round over one session is is pretty impractical to report all of them and still have time to play vsh and do something. i like playing vsh and dont wish to file reports and consequently not have time to do any playing.

michael doe

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
You're right, it would be nice if we had a fulltime admin on every one of our servers, but we don't. And currently, we can't put an admin on every server, just not enough staff.
given it would be nice to have a admin maining each server and there is no vsh main admin, i fail to see the issue in principal with having one? also given the amount of false votes, lack of user knowledge about votereport it is hard to use them. re online admins is an admin going to come around every 10 minutes or so to deal with the crazy amount of false votes? also im an unemployed college student with large amounts of freetime, meaning im free to admin. so given it would be nice to have admins on each server and my knowledge regarding vsh i think i am a good candidate.

Thorin Oakenshield

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
....pretty impractical to report all of them and still have time to play vsh and do something. i like playing vsh and dont wish to file reports and consequently not have time to do any playing.
You have another app that died here. You seem to be under the impression that because there is no admin specifically for Saxton Hale, that one is needed. The admins are expected to help out on all the servers.
I've reported more players via the forums than you have, even though I'm not even thinking about applying for admin.
What does that say when someone who wants to be admin does nothing to show he'd work for it? It takes half a second to hit the screenshot button. Reporting doesn't take that long, but you think that playing takes precedence over trying to help enforce the rules by reporting them. So, why should you be admin?
i like playing vsh and dont wish to file reports and consequently not have time to do any playing.

Reactions: Meowcenary

Sarcasm

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
for i have added admins to adress issues, atm i still have gwor.rtc added and have added admins in an attempt to have one address an issue while they occur. yes im complaining about a lack of admins, id welcome a close examination of the amount of time admins spend on vsh, if they go on and i miss it then clearly ive just missed it. i fail to see the issue with having a main vsh admin since by all accounts there does not appear to be one. especially given the ammount of maps on vsh i think someone with extensive knowledge of the maps is very useful. also i have periodically attempted to use the in game reporting mechanism, but given the amount of things in chat explaining what the report is since it disappears into chat and then getting them to use the votereport command within the 30 seconds is pretty hard. i usually play for >1hour often much longer and given i stay alive it is very inconvenient to screenshot enough evidence to file an actionable report and given false votes occur at around every other round over one session is is pretty impractical to report all of them and still have time to play vsh and do something. i like playing vsh and dont wish to file reports and consequently not have time to do any playing.

You should look at how much time the admins spend on other servers responding to reports, and look not only at this server but at the 79~ other servers that we have. I appreciate that you think you're an excellent candidate, I do. I think confidence is a good thing to have, and I think a lot of the sayings you have are fine.

Now onto the nitty gritty stuff. If you have a problem. Add as many of the online admins as you can. If you have any issue with the ones in tf2, add me, and I'll take care of it, even if I'm at work. Also, if you think someone is breaking the rules, go into console and type record "rulebreaker". Then upload it somewhere like mediafire, and put that in the report. Its a lot faster than taking screenshots, and is a lot easier for us to go on. Isn't valve nice, to add a system into their game, that lets you record?

I think the fact you say its inconvenient to stop rulebreakers by taking screenshots because you want to stay alive kind of makes me sad. Do you really think you dying and giving up a round so you can handle someone who is making the game not as fun for other people isn't worth it? I thought you said you'd be good admin material... I've left MVM games to ban people, that I couldn't return to. And I've left other games as a whole, just to swap. Hell, I've quit league of legends games just to ban. Because the servers matter more to me, than a round. (You won't get to play as much as you want, as an admin. Especially on a server like hale)

michael doe

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
re staying alive vs reporting, the pass rate on false slay votes isnt high, bans never pass, also very few false mute/gags and teh "falseness" or mute/gag as there is more flexability re criteria. i enjoy playing hale a lot, and as an end user that is my reason for being on. while i will report when necessary i feel a large portion of the issues are players not realizing what is and is not slay/ban/mute worthy. as a player i wouldnt want to be banned for something i didnt know was wrong, that would be pretty crummy. i think explaining rules to users via sm_say would greatly reduce the amount of false votes and general confusion. i dont like seeing users banned, which i think is the prescribed thing for false votes. i want to encourage the skial vsh community not through banning every transgression, but educating users since i feel that they r simply ignorant of what is or isnt ok. me not reporting is more a matter of not wanting users banned, as an admin rule enforcement becomes my top priority, rather than playing. my meh analogy is that of a good citizen vs a police officer.

Reactions: Defibyoulater

Sarcasm

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Imagine going into a server, where whenever anything bad happens to anyone, a vote comes out. Imagine being an admin, and calmly using /say to tell people they are wrong. And then watching 5-10 more votes happen for the same reason. Imagine doing this 3-5 times a day, every day. For the next year. Are you really going to continue to use /say to the same people who continuously vote abuse?

As a player, do you enjoy watching that vote menu come up, and educating the users who use it? And then continue to watch them use it time and again? If you report, not only with votereport, but actually telling people issues, a lot of the problems you're talking about go away. Yes, I agree people should be educated, but the rules in /rules are there for a reason.

michael doe

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
its not that i think users will follow rules after i tell them once or a few times, but i think coming in hard and fast with the bannhammer in vsh is a bit much given the difference from regular gamemodes, were i to be an admin /say would get old, and banning etc would happen, imagine the scenario where a horrendous vote takes place, i use my mic to explain that this isnt acceptable and then for a bit if i see a false vote u get banned. re the second part of while i dont per say enjoy education with a mic and a simple enough bind along the lines of sm_say "raging etc etc blah blah is not slayable/bannable/mutable" its pretty easy and i honestly dont think i would tire of it after a long time. i already explain to new users how to play as hale superjump etc and to new users who dont have experience witth the weapon moding in vsh, as well as politely asking users to refrain from using racist/homophobic/sexist/bigoted language ive been doing it for quite a long time and it really doesnt bother me to remind other users.
im not saying id only use /say and such, but i think giving a warning via mic plus sm_say which can be conveniently binded is very easy, and then for a period of time (/or influx of new players) u get kicked/banned plus sm_cancelvote

i enjoy being helpful to others and enjoy it, that is not to say i wouldnt punish rulebreaking but my goal is to give users the best experience in vsh as i can help do. i can honestly say i dont think i would get tired of it.

re issues on other servers its a pretty easy bannhammer even if just for a bit, while i try to be nice my kindness if almost always for vsh as the rules r less clearly defined there. other servers its pretty easy to figure out that the user knows they r doing something unaccpetable.

| Dark_Side |

Scarcely Lethal Noob
+1
Well, since your personally saying you won't get bored of it, I'll give you a chance, just remember of what you said, and how I got my decision. Good luck in the future my friend.

shoooooooooooooooo

Australian Skial God
Contributor
His chat logs do seem to have alot of the afk manager in it, but He doesn't do it enough to actually flood the chat and annoy people.

He's a very active player on skial vsh and I +1

Shiny Charizard

Legendary Skial King
I still never got a good response for the rage bitching bind SIX TIMES IN 13 SECONDS[and lack of wanting to report rulebreakers] to avoid my:

That and the applicant's stance on KPD being more important than punishing rulebreakers

Last edited:

michael doe

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
I still never got a good response for the rage bitching bind SIX TIMES IN 13 SECONDS[and lack of wanting to report rulebreakers] to avoid my:

you are certainly entitled to your opinion, if you read back i did say i will heckle hale regulars for things that lack skill or huge fails like walking into goombas etc, the chatbind was spammed. no two ways about it, deffinetly spammed.if you look through more of my chatlogs im sure there is a few instances of spamming, im not claiming to be perfect or that i dont goof up, but those instances are few and far between. re lack of wanting to report rulebreakers a lot of it is people who have no understanding of what the rules r esp as applied to saxton, i dont like to see users banned as was previously stated, i try to educate the users, and the server usually downboats the shitty votemenu stuff, esp since these users simply do not know any better, if you were banned for something that you didnt know was bad wouldnt that feel pretty yuck, and i dont think that leads to a good image

Thorin Oakenshield

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
re lack of wanting to report rulebreakers a lot of it is people who have no understanding of what the rules r esp as applied to saxton, i dont like to see users banned as was previously stated, i try to educate the users, and the server usually downboats the shitty votemenu stuff, esp since these users simply do not know any better, if you were banned for something that you didnt know was bad wouldnt that feel pretty yuck, and i dont think that leads to a good image
An aside note: your run-on sentences with a lack of capitalization, punctuation and general messiness don't really help to paint you in a mature, helpful light.
re lack of wanting to report rulebreakers a lot of it is people who have no understanding of what the rules r esp as applied to saxton, i dont like to see users banned as was previously stated, i try to educate the users, and the server usually downboats the shitty votemenu stuff, esp since these users simply do not know any better
No, there are constant popups reminding you to read the /rules. Ignorance is not an excuse. Also, I fear you might try to "educate" people rather than enforce the rules.(This however is purely speculation based upon what I've read)
So:
  • You don't want to take time out of your gameplay to report rulebreakers
  • The fact that you got the ban command right on the first try is, in my mind, irrelevant given your other actions.
  • You don't quote people and are borderline incoherent at times throughout this application.
  • Your previous application was abandoned
So, do I see you being a mature helpful admin? No, not with what has been displayed in this application.

Shiny Charizard

Legendary Skial King
if you were banned for something that you didnt know was bad wouldnt that feel pretty yuck, and i dont think that leads to a good image
Sucks for them, they didn't read the server rules. Oh well, the 1day mute is the warning. If they do things as blatantly iffy as calling a bullshit vote on someone or being racist they kind of deserve it.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If you were to get admin would you be willing to handle reports on other servers besides saxton hale as well as handle reports submitted to the forums?

Astir

Legendary Skial King
First of all, no one is perfect. Don't keep on focusing on his chat logs. I had a ban in my record too when I started my application.

But you don't have the right attitude. If you don't have time to report or resolve an issue, you certainly don't have it to keep an eye on the report and appeal section. Being admin means leaving half round and abandoning queues like Jailbreak or Saxton Hale.

Please show in the application process you are capable of collecting evidence and handling issues. Wether or not you see admins on the server doesn't matter. This application is about you, what you are capable of and what you are willing to do.

Zefyre

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Thorin/Astir's post a bit before this one is all that needs to be said. The VSH people seem to like you and I don't know you so I'm going to go with a +/-0

michael doe

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
An aside note: your run-on sentences with a lack of capitalization, punctuation and general messiness don't really help to paint you in a mature, helpful light.

No, there are constant popups reminding you to read the /rules. Ignorance is not an excuse. Also, I fear you might try to "educate" people rather than enforce the rules.(This however is purely speculation based upon what I've read)
So:

• You don't want to take time out of your gameplay to report rulebreakers
    The fact that you got the ban command right on the first try is, in my mind, irrelevant given your other actions.
    You don't quote people and are borderline incoherent at times throughout this application.
    Your previous application was abandoned
So, do I see you being a mature helpful admin? No, not with what has been displayed in this application.

regarding running on punctuation and rambling thats what i get for pulling all nighters, it definitely hurts my communication skills, take that however you want. ill be well rested in around 20ish hours, English wasnt a great subject for me but im confident that i will at the very least be less rambly and more coherent. im not great at conveying in depth ideas, principals, etc via txt due to my typing skills and poor "proper" english.

as to my educating instead of enforcing rules, false votes r false votes, my personal inclination is to upon entry use a say bind to inform what is a false vote. that is the style of administering i would personally prefer. if the party line is ban then ban it is, but i dont see a reason to just start banning every false vote. i did notice you have not played almost no vsh, i can attempt to convey the environment, users and such, but im not succeeding. i stand by my reasoning, id ask if its not to much play some vsh with 20+ people for a bit and let me know. i think with some time on vsh you might get that bannign all the false votes and greifing would be detrimental to the health of the server.

quoting people: i dont have any meaningful experience with forums not on deepweb, and will say i suck at using them, and am wholly unfamiliar with any and all forum/boards conventions, general practices. this is why my application was abandoned it legitimately didnt occur to me to delete it, idk what to tell you, i feel pretty dumb abt that. also i was unaware that you could quote multiple people in one which may seem obvious to you but is something i was unaware of until i clicked reply while editing this post. honestly i suck at all things forums but am a quick learner with lots of freetime to learn about forums/boards.

as to "mature helpful admin" i feel like i have demonstrated that i can be helpful with regards to the mode, rules, and my person conduct, i cant prove in any objective way that i am "mature" i think my politeness and desire to help show maturity, but once again not really sure how i can prove maturity.

If you were to get admin would you be willing to handle reports on other servers besides saxton hale as well as handle reports submitted to the forums?

ofc i would be willing to help on other servers i cant profess to be knowledgable in the slightest about the rules and such with regard to jailbreak/fortwars etc, and an n ot really sure how best to enforce certain things like not advancing the game as deathrun. with respect to forum reports like i said above i have basically 0 experience with forums/boards of any kind so i dont think id be very useful but if asked i would try hard and try to get good at it.

Sucks for them, they didn't read the server rules. Oh well, the 1day mute is the warning. If they do things as blatantly iffy as calling a bullshit vote on someone or being racist they kind of deserve it.

by playing on the server its you imply that they have read and agree to abide by the rules. many servers have a rules/conditions as a promp that must be manually agreed to to be on the server. skial does not have such a system. i think while it makes sense to say well they didnt read the rules get wrekd it is not reflective of a large majority of the players. i do agree with the thinking that u should have read them, but i see that that is not the case, so i adjusted my response to take this into account while still upholding the rules, and trying to create a positive environment for gaming. with regards to racism/homophobia/bigotry i would instaban anyone, that should have been spelled out explicitly at the beginning my bad. the rules do not have anything to say with regards to calling votes of any kind, yet there is a standard for calling votes. its not in in the /rules, so it should be fine? if the rules had laid out a framework for what is and is not an acceptable vote i would move to ban players on false votes, but given there is no direction i think a warning when i get on would be enough education/warning to move to banning players for the next false vote.

Sarcasm

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Calling false votes is in the rules. Generally, my take on it, is if they aren't breaking rules, they shouldn't be getting votes made against them either. I think thats a fairly simple concept.
Why would you ban for racist comments, and can you define bigotry for me?

michael doe

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Calling false votes is in the rules. Generally, my take on it, is if they aren't breaking rules, they shouldn't be getting votes made against them either. I think thats a fairly simple concept.
Why would you ban for racist comments, and can you define bigotry for me?
yes calling false votes is in the rules. however it does not describe in any way what is a legitimate vote vs. false vote with regards to vsh. the voteban is fairly self explanatory in that banning is the strongest punishment possible, and is used to ban hacking/exploiting etc. votegag is also pretty self explanatory in that it is used to silence micpamming and chatspamming or abusive language covered in /rules.
the rules fall incredibly short with regards to voteslay given vsh is arena mode, in no way is any criteria laid out in /rules or things readily accessed while in game (browser notwithstanding). and almost all false votes are voteslays.

with regard to racism: the use of the n word which was very very rare has been popping up in increasingly large amounts. this is obviously against rules and is explicitly stated, i think persistent use of derogatory racial slang, chink, wetback, redskin etc deserves a ban as they are comparable to N***a but to many are less powerful because of a lack of awareness regarding the historical or current mistreatment of certain racial populations. they are very hurtful to their respective groups but without the widespread awareness of the suffering of those groups. ill leave out the long description of issues surrounding racial persecution of non black minorities as that is far to long, and is mostly unnecessary.
bigotry: this is somewhat broad, and is mostly contained things like homophobia, and generally sexist remarks like wat a cunt etc. the thinking is things that could be reasonably viewed as direct/personal insults or bashing of a persons innate qualities can often go overboard. flaming is a part of gaming and i foresee it remaining in gaming basically forever but my usage of bigotry while being very broad is primarily with regard to repeated personal flaming with a persistent bigoted slant. ie calling someone a fag then some nonsense about taking dicks up the arse, calling a femanon a cunt then propositioning etc