The Best Bast

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Hello everyone, I hope my title isn't too confusing, but I'll explain.

I have noticed several reports for the use of the homophobic f-word, be it in three or six letters. Since the console can, as it's possible with the use of the n-slur, wouldn't it be convenient to add these two words to the list of banned words, to have its users silenced for 120 minutes for homophobia (and have the length of their punishment adapted by an admin depending on previous offenses if necessary) ? I'm suggesting this because it seems empirically that the use of this word is always an offense, no matter the context, and is always leading to a silence in the end.

In case an admin isn't on the server during the offense, that would prevent slur-using flamers from going into rants with escalating toxicity and being more and more vocal and / or annoying before being reported and silenced, reducing the risk of creating an atmosphere that would make other players leave. That would also be easier to deal with, be it for players willing to report rule-breakers or for admins having fewer reports to check.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. I hope it's doable and / or interesting, else, sorry for the bother.

Pot Head Wabbit

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Is it bad we change the usage of a slur?
Again, there were no issues with it, until it now suddenly is.
it's been banned for quite a while now, just because you've gotten away with saying it for 10+ years doesn't make it any less of a slur, it was derogatory in 1914 and its still derogatory now.

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
No mention of fun? No mention of spamming slurs? If you take everything at strictly face value, or read your own narrative into things, it will soon get you down. Lighten up, live a little.

VentureDev

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
kind of a weird hill to die on to be honest. "If I can't spam slurs in the in-game chat it's not fun. 🤓"
You might as well just post this.
1692893154555.png

You haven't said anything about how much something like laserfag personally hurts you, leading me to believe that you along with most of the supporters here are only offended on other people's behalf.

This was always a non-issue, now you have people like MATO (whom you reported for saying it) getting permamuted for it despite clearly not being homophobic.

Pot Head Wabbit

You might as well just post this.

You haven't said anything about how much something like laserfag personally hurts you, leading me to believe that you along with most of the supporters here are only offended on other people's behalf.

This was always a non-issue, now you have people like MATO (whom you reported for saying it) getting permamuted for it despite clearly not being homophobic.
Personally the word offends me quite a bit, as someone who's gay and has had the word weaponized against me for 10+ years,wether or not laserfrag in context isn't really relevant because 95% of the people using the word are using it as a slur not to a refer to a player using the laser. If it's really that big of a deal that you have to spam slurs to play zombie escape then you may want to start looking for a new server now.

derpbrigade

Personally the word offends me quite a bit, as someone who's gay and has had the word weaponized against me for 10+ years,wether or not laserfrag in context isn't really relevant because 95% of the people using the word are using it as a slur not to a refer to a player using the laser. If it's really that big of a deal that you have to spam slurs to play zombie escape then you may want to start looking for a new server now.
Turn on the Steam Language filter ( ͡⁠°⁠ ͜⁠ʖ⁠ ͡⁠°⁠)

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
If someone saying laserfag really offends you that much, I would suggest councelling. I mean, how do you react when you hear or read those really bad words?

Reactions: derpbrigade

Pot Head Wabbit

If someone saying laserfag really offends you that much, I would suggest councelling. I mean, how do you react when you hear or read those really bad words?
Did you even read my argument or just strawman it? I clearly said context matters, 95% of the usage of the word occurs in a derogatory sense, if the solution to banning that word is a few toxic ze players also get banned for saying it because they insist on having a catchphrase with a slur in it then so be it.

VentureDev

You are utterly out of touch if you think asking the server whether there are any players who are good at dodging lasers is toxic.
I'd love to know what else you think is toxic and should get banned.

Last edited:

Maddo

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
*opinion

*ridicule

I clearly said context matters,
wether or not laserfrag in context isn't really relevant
oops.

solution to banning that word
The thread wasn't started about the word laserfag, that seems to now be a bone that you're gnawing on.

few toxic ze players also get banned for saying it
So, you think people are toxic for:
having a catchphrase
Sounds like a slur on their character to me.

VentureDev

You can. The question is whether someone cares enough to punish you for it, and apparently some of us could care less.

james bond

Seeing how nearly every instance of the slur is reported and subsequently banned anyway, this should be approved by now.

• Dumb
Reactions: 1a1