The Best Bast

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Hello everyone, I hope my title isn't too confusing, but I'll explain.

I have noticed several reports for the use of the homophobic f-word, be it in three or six letters. Since the console can, as it's possible with the use of the n-slur, wouldn't it be convenient to add these two words to the list of banned words, to have its users silenced for 120 minutes for homophobia (and have the length of their punishment adapted by an admin depending on previous offenses if necessary) ? I'm suggesting this because it seems empirically that the use of this word is always an offense, no matter the context, and is always leading to a silence in the end.

In case an admin isn't on the server during the offense, that would prevent slur-using flamers from going into rants with escalating toxicity and being more and more vocal and / or annoying before being reported and silenced, reducing the risk of creating an atmosphere that would make other players leave. That would also be easier to deal with, be it for players willing to report rule-breakers or for admins having fewer reports to check.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. I hope it's doable and / or interesting, else, sorry for the bother.

mr flapjack

Unremarkable User
Hello everyone, I hope my title isn't too confusing, but I'll explain.

I have noticed several reports for the use of the homophobic f-word, be it in three or six letters. Since the console can, as it's possible with the use of the n-slur, wouldn't it be convenient to add these two words to the list of banned words, to have its users silenced for 120 minutes for homophobia (and have the length of their punishment adapted by an admin depending on previous offenses if necessary) ? I'm suggesting this because it seems empirically that the use of this word is always an offense, no matter the context, and is always leading to a silence in the end.

In case an admin isn't on the server during the offense, that would prevent slur-using flamers from going into rants with escalating toxicity and being more and more vocal and / or annoying before being reported and silenced, reducing the risk of creating an atmosphere that would make other players leave. That would also be easier to deal with, be it for players willing to report rule-breakers or for admins having fewer reports to check.

Just an idea that crossed my mind. I hope it's doable and / or interesting, else, sorry for the bother.
+1 absolutely

StanleYBH

TF2 Admin
Contributor
I'm all for banning slurs, and I've also reported players who used them, but we may have a minor issue with the "ze community"
It's such a big part of the culture in ze to say "laserfag" to players, who can dodge lasers, and it's been like that for years. The word is also part of some maps, but I can't remember all of them right now, but one of them is ze_randomizer_p2. The map is basically calling us "laserfags" every time we get to a certain point.

If we have to ban laserfag as well, then we should have these maps changed, since it doesn't make any sense that the map is teaching players to say laserfags but they can't say it without getting banned or muted themselves.

Alternatively, remove the ze servers from the list where using the word "laserfag" will result in you being muted or banned.

This is merely my take on it, and I'm only saying this because the skial ze community is a bit different from the rest of the skial community.

Cute Boi

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
its not really used for homophobic purposes because you're calling a laserfag a retard, don't see any difference with it, plus it's really engrained in ZE players, not including "laser" is homophobic though, context matters
Yeah, pretty sure using slurs regardless of the situation is kinda toxic. Thats like saying GlowN***** should be allowed because its not meant to be racist but actual refers to FBI agents. Like, bruh, its still a slur.

Edit: Also not sure how long this threads gonna stay up, bur its 23-4 in favor of banning the F-slur

A boi

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
-1 Laserfag is indeed part of ZE culture, I think it'd be better to censor the word instead with the filter that you can turn on and off, you can still silence users that spam slurs either way, in ZE they are muted in like 10-15 secs, there is no real impact there