Link

Wicked Nasty Engineer
Contributor
This map doesn't have a motivator and I believe this is probably the longest map on the deathrun server. Because of this, every round lasts way too long when it isn't a freerun, sometimes only we can only have 3 or 4 rounds per rotation.

Last edited:

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
I've sent an update to Bottiger for dr_baby_pirate_adventure

Changelog
  • Added a motivator to prevent players from delaying the round. Motivator will kill Hale in case Hale is idle.
  • Fixed several areas where players can get OOB and delay the round
I will do the above for regular dr_pirate_adventure, no promises when it will be finished

Reactions: caya1

hatschler

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I've sent an update to Bottiger for dr_baby_pirate_adventure

Changelog

• Added a motivator to prevent players from delaying the round. Motivator will kill Hale in case Hale is idle.

Fixed several areas where players can get OOB and delay the round
I will do the above for regular dr_pirate_adventure, no promises when it will be finished

I just looked at your edited version and it has some major flaws:
  • The map was compiled with HDR, even though the original is LDR and you didn't add a env_tonemap_controller to fix the horrible deafault HDR settings
    This results in the map having bad looking lightning and cheapens the atmospheare of the original
    I notice a lot of your other edits do the same thing.
  • A lot of the textures have reflections (from the one env_cubemap that's at the end), even though on the original none do
    This further worsifies the atmosphere
  • You didn't fix the bug at the small door (the targetname is door01) you have to go through near the start; this door very often causes the round to be delayed
    This could be fixed by changing the OnStartTouchAll of the trigger_multiple to OnStartTouch
  • It looks like changing the map caused it to leak and instead of fixing it you just put the entire map in a giant skybox
    This worsens performance (because your PC has to render the entire map) and is really bad mapping practice
  • The motivator(which you stole from supermonkeyball) doesn't have a teamfilter, so that it now kills hale and it never gets one; If you have any experience on the dr server you should know that hales love to suicide and it will also lead to accidental deaths;
    The proper solution would be to just make a seperate trigger_hurt, that gets enabled after some time
    Besides it is unneecessary, as I think people will probably enjoy a freerun more, than wasting ~60 seconds
    I haven't checked by myself, but a motivator with a really big trigger_hurt tends to cause problems around corners and since you just stole the one from supermonkeyball you probably haven't checked either
There are probably more things to list, however I haven't played the map much yet.
Special server variants that break more than they fix, change stuff that needn't be changed and fix things that don't need to be fixed are the reason many mappers put decompile protection on their maps

Last edited:

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
You didn't fix the bug at the small door (the targetname is door01) you have to go through near the start; this door very often causes the round to be delayed
No one told me about this, if it was stated here I didn't see it.

The map was compiled with HDR, even though the original is LDR and you didn't add a env_tonemap_controller to fix the horrible deafault HDR settings
Noted. Will tune this, or just compile in LDR only, genuine oversight of what the original was compiled in.

It looks like changing the map caused it to leak and instead of fixing it you just put the entire map in a giant skybox
This worsens performance (because your PC has to render the entire map) and is really bad mapping practice
No idea where you got this from, Map isn't encased in Skybox and I tested the map for leaks. There are none

The motivator(which you stole from supermonkeyball) doesn't have a teamfilter
Intentional, if its truly an issue I'll re-enable the filter, monkeyball is one of the maps I made edits and updates to until Bottiger removed it from rotation. The only thing I borrowed from monkey ball was the idea for dancing demo as the motivator, I had to re-create everything else.

I haven't checked by myself, but a motivator with a really big trigger_hurt tends to cause problems around corners and since you just stole the one from supermonkeyball you probably haven't checked either
Assumption, read above.

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
dr_baby_pirate_adventure_fixed1_skial2

• Motivator is filtered to kill red, ignores Hale
  • Added AFK kill zone around Hale's spawn point if Hale is AFK, triggers at the same time the AFK killer for red triggers in red spawn, both disables after 5 seconds
  • Fixed the wonky door
  • Added work-arounds for two moving platforms that would get players stuck outside the map
  • Fixed more OOB areas and bugs
  • Small, small optimization
  • Restored original lighting

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
dr_pirate_adventure_skial2

• Motivator and fixes from dr_baby_pirate_adventure_fixed1_skial2 are incorporated.

Last edited:
Reactions: caya1