Reporter

Administrator
A Rant on the Current State of TF2
To preface - I have been playing this game since 2012. I bought and played the original Orange Box for the Xbox years ago. I've been playing almost all Source-based games my entire life. I love this game to death, and it is pretty much the only game I play consistently now.

#Casual

I don't understand the removal of Quickplay. Originally, I could just click a few buttons and there are all the maps, listed with ping and everything. I could join a server with decent ping and the map I want to play. Now I click a button, wait +-20 minutes and either get matched into a server with decent ping or a server with a ping of 100ms+.

I can bypass this issue by setting a few cvars, but I shouldn't have to do this. The average TF2 player or F2P isn't aware about them. I should not have to pick up after Valve.

Valve could have easily just implemented Casual and kept Quickplay. I know TF2 has plenty of servers.

I also think everyone completely forgot about Robot Destruction and Cactus Canyon. Valve silently removed those two maps, one of which (RD) has been in development since summer of fucking 2014. I also know about a small community that plays exclusively on RD, so Valve also probably destroyed a small community in the process if a Community server doesn't exist that hosts RD (I haven't seen one at all.)

#Community Servers

This is more personal, but it's still a rant. It is really fucking hard to find a server similar to a Valve server. I have to find a server that:

- Isn't a 24/7 map
- Doesn't disable the "wait" command
- Doesn't have obnoxious plugin spam
- Doesn't spam shit on-screen
- Isn't full consistently (looking at you, Skial)
- Has the desired map
- Doesn't have >90 ping
- **Fucking kick me for cl_disablehtmlmotd 1**
- Spam Pinion shit in my face
- Randomly spam the MOTD in-game

Before you say I'm not looking hard enough, I've used every Server Browser tool to my advantage. Every server I've found has two or more of that shit on the list. Before you also say that there will be more Community servers, there will be more obnoxious Pinion shit too.

#Competitive / Command Restrictions

I'm no competitive player, but I did play the Stress Tests and the betas. I'm here to mainly talk about the command restrictions. A major reason I play, and I'm sure many others too, is because of customization. This, pretty much, nullifies the entire point of that.

I cannot fucking fathom the reasoning behind the command restrictions. This is by far, the most *fucking retarded* reasoning and choice by Valve I've seen in a while. If you don't know, it's apparently because Valve wants a "consistent look" or something. I've also heard it's not to *confuse new players* watching streams. Who fucking cares? I have **never**, *ever* once seen that happen. Who in the fuck is going to be turned off of a game when seeing a goddamn network graph on the right side of their screen?

It doesn't even have to be all commands, DX8 being blocked is fine, and maybe a few other commands but even basc commands like viewmodel_fov, net_graph, even fucking zoom_sensitivity_ratio? Why? Seriously.

The entire premise of configs is to either customize, or improve performance. See, the most fucking ironic thing about Valve blocking commands is that performance configs don't work. People use these because Valve won't **fucking optimize** their game, so a lot of people are compelled to use performance configs.

I don't understand how I am expected to headshot a Medic if I can't get a consistent 100 FPS.

#Communication

Remember that post back in October Valve made about the current status of TF2 and what they were doing? That was great, fucking amazing. We were all happy. Why do they not do this anymore? I don't understand.

It's been confirmed that Valve reads this subreddit. I remember very clearly someone making a post about wanting Payload to be at the front of Quickplay instead of Mannpower (when Mannpower was released) and Valve did exactly that. Jill has also posted here too. They also responded to MyM's shit launch as well.

It's as simple as making a blog post - "Hey TF2 community, we are testing a few weapon changes in the TF2 beta, come check it out!"

Does the 90% of the TF2 community not like the beta weapon changes? Don't fucking implement them!

And I'm not even saying listen purely to the /r/TF2 shitposters, they could check the Steam community, too. That's where most of the F2Ps hang out.

*(see more: Play Testing)*

#Play Testing

Alright, the entire fucking basis of stress tests was to get feedback, and solve problems *before* release, correct? Well it doesn't really seem like the tests did shit. That means from late February/early March up until now, was completely *fucking* pointless. Let me reiterate, nearly 5 months (almost half a goddamn year) was **completely, fucking-futile**. Valve had that entire period of time to solve all of the problems we had.

I also love how many of the problems we had back then during stress testing like command restrictions, or abandon penalties, we *still* have now. It's like stress testing was just renamed to Official Competitive Matchmaking 1.0.

Seriously, it's like you get dough for cookies, put it in the oven, take it out, then realize you *never even turned the oven on*. It's pathetic.

TF2 also has its *exclusive* beta program. Why does Valve not use it to its advantage? Valve has so goddamn many resources it's insane. They have their own playerbase that responds and *CONTINUES TO* respond, incessantly to every-single change they make and Valve *CONTINUES* to ignore it. It's like my teachers always say, "Use your resources."

Valve also doesn't take *five fucking minutes* to test a simple weapon attribute change. A few months back Valve forgot to add the *20% recharge increase on ally extinguished* for the Mutated Milk, but they accidentally set it to *80%*. They could have prevented a hotfix as well, but we know Valve. This is also literally analogous to the current MyM situation. Valve could have avoided a pissed off community, shitty launch, and multiple issues by simply testing MyM in the TF2 beta.

#That is all.

Author: _Decimation

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/4u0z7v/a_rant_on_the_current_state_of_tf2/
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/4u0z7v/a_rant_on_the_current_state_of_tf2/?ref=search_posts