staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
YAY_zpsb90d2d9e.png

That's right guys, the leader of the key inflation is done. He's finally no longer a menace to us and our keys. However, it will take a lot of work to be able to bring keys back down to the 2.33-2.66 refined range, but now that he himself is gone, his followers might stop as well.

So, who else is excited that the biggest trading fag is done?

SPYderman

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Honestly I think its too late for keys to drop back down to 2.33, the damage has already been done imo

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Honestly I think its too late for keys to drop back down to 2.33, the damage has already been done imo

Yes, but with a large portion of the community wanting them to drop. However, Backpack.tf is 100% corrupt. I saw a key suggestion to make them 4.55 again get rejected when it hat VALID proof. They want them to rise, just no one has called them out on it yet.

Ruelel

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
just because some people sell for 4.55 doesnt mean it should go down when people will gladly pay more for a key

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Maybe keys won't drop back down to 2.66, but I do believe that keys are going to drop below the 4 refined mark fairly soon, probably stick around at 3.66.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Keys will still go up. It's not because some random evil key sellers are selling keys for ungodly amounts, It's simply because metal is being pumped into TF2 every day which means metal is slowly becoming less and less valuable which in turn increases the prices of keys. That, and there are people that are always willing to pay more for keys to get them quicker. And keys are always in demand which naturally drives the prices up even further.

Because keys are a currency you simply can't just lower the price of keys and keep metal valued the same. The only way keys will go down is if metal value goes up, which just isn't going to happen as long as more metal is being pumped into the game on a daily basis. Plus, the demand for keys would have to go down too. The more the demand the more people are willing to pay, the more the price goes up.

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Keys will still go up. It's not because some random evil key sellers are selling keys for ungodly amounts, It's simply because metal is being pumped into TF2 every day which means metal is slowly becoming less and less valuable which in turn increases the prices of keys. That, and there are people that are always willing to pay more for keys to get them quicker. And keys are always in demand which naturally drives the prices up even further.

Because keys are a currency you simply can't just lower the price of keys and keep metal valued the same. The only way keys will go down is if metal value goes up, which just isn't going to happen as long as more metal is being pumped into the game on a daily basis. Plus, the demand for keys would have to go down too. The more the demand the more people are willing to pay, the more the price goes up.

Yes, but from the time metal and keys had entered the game, the price stayed around the same until late last year, and there were tons of idlers back then.

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I've heard a theory that it while it was common knowledge metal was being devalued from idle accounts, what really caused the bubble to burst was marketplace keys outselling Mann Co. keys, cutting off supplies.

Suppose it makes sense. People begin safely exchanging keys for cash at half their Mann Co price, no one bothers paying the new double from Mann Co to get more keys.

TheStereo

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Key prices went up because there's too much metal. Metal is basically free and since more people are joining the game, more people are getting metal. It's also because the lack of need to craft. Things used to be much higher value a long time ago such as the Fast Learner. Apparently if used to be ~5 or 6 keys so it was good to craft. Now that it's basically a 99% chance to turn 3 ref into 1.33, nobody does it anymore. And Long218 isn't the only person inflating key prices.

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
And Long218 isn't the only person inflating key prices.

I know this, however, he was one of the most influential people fucking with the prices to get back at the community hating on him. My friend has a post (He's offline right now, otherwise I'd give you the link), in which Long promises that he is going to make keys so expensive that refined is going to be the currency of poor people.

Randinie

Uncharitable Spy
According to Stats.tf there is less than 1 refine metal per account in tf2, how is this to much metal? I do not argue that the idle account explosion had an impact but to me the main reason for keys increasing and items (hats/misc) decreasing is the fault of backpack.tf, and their TOTAL lack of rules. They allow anyone who can type to submit a price change, using outpost and other sites as proof. These sites only show offers to sale and offers to buy but not what the item sold for. This is flawed in more ways than can be counted. Worse yet is allowing an item to have an potential price change every day of the week. Another issue is the ranking system in which many players compete to have their price suggestions approved, so they can move up in the rankings. Another issue is time limits before approval, there isn't any, I have seen admin accept/approve changes that have only been up for just over 1 hour. All this combined, leads to an out of control price manipulation system for a site that washes its hand of any responsibility. The site is responsible, not because of what it does but because the majority of players in TF2 treat backpack.tf as the authority on pricing, backpack.tf is the site setting the prices, not the players.