Arya

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Changes have been made to skial servers lately just to try and get people from quickplay. while indeed it isnt a bad idea, the way its being handle is horrible. What point is it to try and gain advantage of a system that very few use in the first place, t the cost of regulars either leaving or throwing tissy fits about how bad skial is. It honestly seems like the detrients outway the benefits here and skial should of just worked with what it has. More effort could be put into expanding our playerbase through advertising, expanding more into other games such as counter strike and some of the survival games that run servers, instead if wasting time trying to get just a few quick play people

jwso

Australian Skial God
Contributor
the servers would be empty all the time if there was no quickplay

Arya

Zebra once you edited that with out the general overtone of insulting I'll post the links

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
It doesnt work that way. If you want your suggestion to even be considered you need some kind of evidence to back it up. We aren't going to forget about quickplay people just because you looked up articles and graphs.

Bottiger

Administrator
Does anyone else see the problem here?

People think we are getting more quickplay players by using fast respawn even though every 15 seconds a message pops up to tell them what's going on.

That's why Valve doesn't do anything.

Bottiger

Administrator
I guess I will just repeat myself because I know a lot of people have problems reading.

Valve has essentially blocked all quickplay traffic to community servers without actually doing it by making official servers default. Only 2-4% of quickplay users ever uncheck it. This means we don't care about having default respawn times.

Before Valve started meddling with how players find servers, fast respawn was the most popular setting. Why this is the case even though it makes objectives harder, who knows? Maybe because more people care more about 20 second spawns than to reach the final point? This is simply a fact that you will have to accept.

Server population has always been kept in balance when new players replace the regulars that stop playing TF2 (no one plays TF2 forever). Now that the source of new players has been cut off every vanilla community server, not just ours, has been shrinking. We are trying to change settings before removing any more servers because that also results in complaints. And so far it has been positive.

http://stats.skial.com/stats/hlstats.php?game=tf&mode=server&server=16
http://stats.skial.com/stats/hlstats.php?game=tf&mode=server&server=13

It seems like the regulars of 32 slot Dustbowl NY have artificially emptied it out today, but if you actually cared about the server in the long run you will not do this.

Arya

Bottiger the point is that because of valves changes, and the high possibility of even with petitions and emails to valve changing nothing in communties favor , then to keep the community alive and going, more time should be spent expanding the community into other areas, instead of putting so much effort into a system that is likely to change even more. What happens the next time valve changes qyickplay settings? Is skial going to do make no scrambling? Or some other thing that quickplay might require to change? What happens when skial starts losing more people then gain due to changes?

Last edited:

hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
Arya, you have to understand that Bottiger knows what he is doing with his community. He wouldn't implement something unpopular on purpose. Just because some people on the forums have voiced their opinion against this doesn't make it the majority opinion - even if everyone in this topic was against instant respawn. The majority of players that play TF2 are people who don't take the game that seriously and would rather mindlessly throw themselves at the meat grinder than wait 20 seconds to do so.

Arya

Arya, you have to understand that Bottiger knows what he is doing with his community. He wouldn't implement something unpopular on purpose. Just because some people on the forums have voiced their opinion against this doesn't make it the majority opinion - even if everyone in this topic was against instant respawn. The majority of players that play TF2 are people who don't take the game that seriously and would rather mindlessly throw themselves at the meat grinder than wait 20 seconds to do so.

It's less about the current change and what can happen sooner or later. Maybe I started the first post wrong but if so many people are complaning now, what about next time valve changes something and the next. If skial changes something everytime the requirements for wuickplay change, then the community would a lot of actually serious players, and a lot of regulars. It wouldn't be the same community eventually. And that would make me cry

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
I think I found them:
http://eg.radioworldwide.org/ said:
An essay on removing Quickplay
I shall now enrich your life by sharing with you about removing Quickplay. In depth analysis of removing Quickplay can be an enriching experience. Cited by many as the single most important influence on post modern micro eco compartmentalism, removing Quickplay is not given the credit if deserves for inspiring many of the worlds famous painters. Often it is seen as both a help and a hinderence to the upper echelons of progressive service sector organisations, who just don't like that sort of thing. In the light of this I will break down the issues in order to give each of them the thought that they fully deserve

Social Factors
Society is a simple word with a very complex definition. When J H Darcy said 'fevour will spread' [1] she failed to understand that if one seriously intends to 'not judge a book by its cover', then one must read a lot of books. More a melody to societies dysfunctions than a parody of the self, removing Quickplay provides standards by which we may judge our selves.
Special care must be taken when analysing such a delicate subject. On the other hand anyone that disagrees with me is an idiot. Society says that every man must find their own truth. While one sees removing Quickplay, another may see monkeys playing tennis.

Economic Factors
Increasingly economic growth and innovation are being attributed to removing Quickplay. Of course, removing Quickplay fits perfectly into the Custard-Not-Mustard model, a classic economic system of analysis.

HousingPrices
graph_down_3.gif

removing Quickplay

When displayed this way it becomes very clear that removing Quickplay is of great importance. Even a child could work out that housing prices looms over removing Quickplay this cannot be a coincidence. The financial press seems unable to make up its mind on these issues which unsettles investors.

Political Factors
Politics was once a game featuring competitors from elite classes. Contrasting the numerous political activists campaigning for the interests of removing Quickplay can be like looking at the two, equally popular approaches to removing Quickplay. If the reader is unaware of these, they need only to turn on the television, or pick up a newspaper or popular magazine.
To quote that most brilliant mind Kuuipo Tuigamala 'consciousness complicates a myriad of progressions.' [2] Primarily, he is referring to removing Quickplay. It would be wise to approach the subject with the thought that 'if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all'. However this can lead to missing out important facts.
Is removing Quickplay politically correct, in every sense? Each man, woman and to a lesser extent, child, must make up their own mind.

Conclusion
To reiterate, removing Quickplay has, and will continue to be a major building block for the world in which we live. It enriches, provides financial security and it brings the best out in people.
I will leave the last word to the famous Shania Paltrow: 'I wouldn't be where I am today without removing Quickplay.' [3]
---
[1] J H Darcy - The Spaniard - 1988 - PPT
[2] Tuigamala - Captain Sir - 1844 Inevitable Publishing
[3] Everything you always wanted to know about removing Quickplay, but were afraid to ask. - Issue 287 - QKS Publishing
I also found a graph listing Arya's reasons behind this:
X7mHRA4.png

Reactions: KillerZebra