StanleYBH

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Introduction

Hallo. My name is StanleY. You might have seen me on Zombie Escape(ZE), Payload or Dustbowl

I've been playing mostly Zombie Escape on Skial for over 2 years now, and I think it's about time we added an old time classic to Skial, called the zombie survival mod (ZM)
It's not as popular as ZE, but I think it fits TF2 players a lot better compared to other mods.
In a nutshell, it's humans vs. zombies on a custom-made map, with the goal of surviving until the timer runs out. There is no escape, no end triggers, or leaders to guide you. This is pure survival at its finest.
Videos from CSGO where they survive on casual maps:
de_inferno
cs_italy
zm_Fubar_Towers
Lila Panic - All time classic - There are many versions of this map.

Reasons to add it to the server list

Every time we play one of the following maps:
  • ze_atix_panic2_skial_4
  • ze_bathroom_skial_8
  • ze_squid_game_skial_5
Players start to join in and just want to have fun, either by talking, roleplaying, or whatever shenanigans TF2 players can come up with.
Kinda like Bottiger's 24/7 Idle

Anything zombie-related attracts players. If I was told to just survive on a map and shoot zombies, I'd join in.
And if I have learned anything about TF2 players, it is that they like to be at the same place every day for years, shooting at other players, Just look at the 2Fort, Hightower, or Dustbowl servers. You get the point.

Setup for the server

Zombie plugin
Same as ZE

Maps
A lot of payload maps could work. Remove the payload and keep the map. Tell players to survive until the timer is down to zero.
2fort
Turbine
Hightower
Well
Egypt

zm_4way_tunnel_v2 This one was my all-time favorite when it came out. I had so many hours into it
Most downloaded maps from css

Weapons balancing
Keep the same weapon balancing as on the ZE server. Let it be updated along as well

No infinite ammo
You have to think about shooting. but you should be able to buy ammunition with credits if there was no dispenser around)
(Like !ammo) cost 10 credits for an example

Knockback
Change the knockback, so it's harder to keep zombies away.

Max players
32. I've seen CSS servers where the maximum limit is 24, but 32 would work.

Zombies

Give zombies special attacks like enzymes, but make them more interesting by giving them things like low gravity for 5 seconds.
grappling hook to wheel in 1 human or to get somewhere
This is only to make it more fun as a zombie

The server
Set up one server in the United States for three to four months to see if it fills up.

Final words

I've been playing Zombie Escape and survival for many years on a lot of different games. I enjoy it and would hope to see it grow within the TF2 and Skial communities.
Any feedback (+1, why it should be added, why it should "not" be added) in the comments under this post or on Skials discord would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
-StanleY

T-Revvington

Scarcely Lethal Noob
+1

Would need to be a server using the same plugins and rules with very little modification (zombie HP is a base game multiplier of like 2.5x instead of in the 20k range - alongside human increased melee damage). Additionally, would allow for less popular or troll maps on ZE to be moved to Zombie Survival (Krusty, ATIX, etc), hopefully.

Overall, not a bad idea, would just need to run metrics on if players would actually play - but they seem to on other servers, so, that's a win.

Last edited:

A boi

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
+1 It does look like a better fit for people that want a more casual experience and don't want to be in a tryhard ZE map like Serpentis.