• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

QuadMed

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Contributor
I was wondering what the communities thoughts are about the 64 bit beta so far.

Bitdefender flagged 2 files while updating to the beta, and I had to whitelist them in Bitdefender, disable the beta in the Steam game properties, reboot Windows, and re-enable the beta to download and install it successfully... twice. Whitelist the below files beforehand to avoid the hassle:
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\downloading\440\bin\shadercompile.exe
c:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\downloading\440\bin\vrad.exe

How difficult would it be to spin up a Skial server to play on? Is it worth the effort, or will this feature be integrated into the stable version soon enough that it wouldn't be worth the effort?

HDR with NVTrueHDR works well with it. I used the Base VeryHigh profile I'm getting ~360 fps at 4k max on a 7800x3d/4080 Super. Frame drops seemed lessened a bit, but I haven't tested with more than 10 players on the server yet.

My HUD works with a small error telling me to update it at the top left on the home screen (FlawHUD).

Jermaphobe

Contributor
Legendary Mapper
You don't need 64 bit servers to play the 64 bit version of TF2. Skial has no reason to switch the servers over.

QuadMed

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Contributor
Ah it just clicked in my head. I can't connect to Skial servers because I'm on a newer beta version than the server, not because the servers not 64-bit compatible. That clears up some confusion on my end since this is my first time in forever playing a TF2 beta. I misconstrued the error: "The server you are trying to connect to is running an older version of the game".

Bottiger

Administrator
They made it so 64 bit clients can only connect to 64 bit servers. Whether or not they plan on making this permanent, no one knows. But there is no technical reason why they shouldn't be able to.

And we are in no rush to run 64 bit servers, as Jermaphobe said, it will break every C++ plugin including sourcemod. A 64 bit server would not result in any improvements for us.

Mr.XxX

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Contributor
They made it so 64 bit clients can only connect to 64 bit servers. Whether or not they plan on making this permanent, no one knows. But there is no technical reason why they shouldn't be able to.

And we are in no rush to run 64 bit servers, as Jermaphobe said, it will break every C++ plugin including sourcemod. A 64 bit server would not result in any improvements for us.
so you say if they wont change this, and update tf2 to 64 bit you wont be able to join skial unless you use the older version of tf2? or did i missunderstood that?