If you've used both, which do you prefer?

Votes: 15 65.2%

Votes: 8 34.8%

• Total voters

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I've been browsing new computers and wanted to get some feedback from anyone here who may be using windows 8. Thanks for any input!

Kairi

Banned
Contributor
I have Win8 but that's because I'm not into buying a Win7 again and it came with my pc. Also not that I installed stuff to make it look like a Win7.

KillerZebra

Forum Admin
Contributor
If you already bought a windows 7 key it will work on up to 3 different computer. So all you would need to do is install windows 7 on it then put your key in

Thorin Oakenshield

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
Windows 8 isn't too hot, it's meant for touchscreens. Buuuut they put it on computers.
You can install stuff like LadyP did to make it more similar to 7/Vista, but it'll be a pain in the behind to try and navigate around.
If you can get 7, get 7.

Phaiz

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
If you already bought a windows 7 key it will work on up to 3 different computer. So all you would need to do is install windows 7 on it then put your key in
Didn't know that. The only problem on my end is I have the home version :/

staticvoid

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I bought a Windows 8, then wiped the hard drive and booted it with Windows 7.

The two of the best operating systems, in my opinion, are either Windows 7 or Windows XP. Both very stable, and to be honest, I don't know why Microsoft felt they had to create a new OS so soon after Windows 7. What they had was really nice.

Wrath

Positively Inhumane Poster
I've tried 8, it's...like, they tried to make something similar to an Android and IOS operating system. There is somewhat of an originality in it, if you look way back, albeit little of it.
zwuqjQ1.jpg

7's still more traditional, easier to work with, for 8 will require you to learn about it's inner workings, and eventually, navigate through the system in order to get what you want.

However, then there's this...which is something that a certain techie friend of mine was hounding about...
VFgn9UP.jpg

I bought a Windows 8, then wiped the hard drive and booted it with Windows 7.

The two of the best operating systems, in my opinion, are either Windows 7 or Windows XP. Both very stable, and to be honest, I don't know why Microsoft felt they had to create a new OS so soon after Windows 7. What they had was really nice.
That's exactly what I thought when it was first announced that Windows 8 would be coming out. I feel that 7's lifetime will be too short.

Cube

Jailbreak Moderator

Lets leave ME out of the picture. :troll:

2000 Came out before ME as well. :trollexcited:

I've been browsing new computers and wanted to get some feedback from anyone here who may be using windows 8. Thanks for any input!

I have used 8 on a relatives computer, and I dont care for it too much. I have windows 7 on my computer, which I prefer. (I use vista on my tf2/gaming pc, and I haven't had one problem with it yet...Just its slow startup/shutdown times).

In personal belief, ubuntu 10.04 LTS is better than windows 8.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Linux all the way; However if I chose from both of them, it depends: From a philosophical standpoint, 7 because it lacks the NSA spying from an MS account; From a technical standpoint, 8 because it's technically superior to Windows 7, from (not) its GUI, its faster boot times, etc.

However, then there's this...which is something that a certain techie friend of mine was hounding about...
VFgn9UP.jpg

God I've seen this image and it fucking sucks. I can't speak for 3.1, but whoever said that Windows 95 is shit should get dropped again.

Also by that logic, Windows 2000 would've sucked, when in reality, it was considered the absolute best and stable OS MS ever created, some saying it was better than XP at the time.

I love my technology.

Nue Houjuu

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
Contributor
Windows 8 looks more like a touch screen phone then anything I could take serious, it just fumbles a lot when used. Gotta go with 7

Sarcasm

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
95 was great, also I believe there is going to be a patch soon™, that changes how 8 affects touchscreen enabled computers, and how it affects non-touchscreen enabled. I like the speed jump, though I suppose the last time I tested it was on a SSD, so that may have some factor, but I like what they're trying to do, and overall I feel like if people give it time, it'll be better. (Hopefully unlike Vista, where they only got the picture as it's life was ending.)

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
95 was great, also I believe there is going to be a patch soon™
This patch is called SP1. Once released I'll be installing Win8 on my home PC.
Making long story short, Win8 is consumer oriented, not enterprise oriented. More specifically, it's consumer-tablet-oriented product. That's being said I don't see Win8 being used as a platform for enterprise PCs. It offers a lot of additional perks and features (especially if you have Win8 Pro or Enterprise) . Also if you know keyboard shortcuts and you love to use them Win8 becomes heaven.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
8 isn't really that bad. It takes what, around half-an-hour to learn all the new shorcuts and how to browse Metro. At first, I didn't like it, considering I didn't even know how to turn it off. It sort of grows on you, after a few weeks it's like you're running 7.

To be honest, I usually don't use Metro unless I can't find an application I'm looking for, but it's already loaded with Skype, the Play Store, etc. so if you like to use those apps, they're all right there for you.

N0WBIEtapa

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
I used win 8 because of its low memory use unlike win 7. It boots up faster and shuts down faster.