Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
Its-A-Conspiracy.jpg

It used to be until Snowden blew that whistle, which apparently is a lot worse than what the conspiracy theorists originally thought, but hey, if you don't care enough about your privacy, that's your choice and you can get exploited by Microsoft all you want.

Toxik

Contributor
It used to be until Snowden blew that whistle, which apparently is a lot worse than what the conspiracy theorists originally thought, but hey, if you don't care enough about your privacy, that's your choice and you can get exploited by Microsoft all you want.
If you are that afraid of your privacy being invaded, then I'm sure you do not do any kind of purchase online, such as Amazon or Ebay, and that you never use Google or Facebook!

Also be careful of the Microsoft overlords, there is an option to keep your mic always running (not for Cortana to respond when you say "Hey Cortana" or anything) and they actually record everyone's voice all the time!

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I did that, I tried 3 different ways and no matter what, as long as I'm logged into a Microsoft account it won't let me login without putting my password in :(
Windows Hello: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/getstarted-what-is-hello
Mini USB fingerprint reader: http://www.amazon.com/Eikon-Fingerp...1-5&keywords=USB+Biometric+Fingerprint+Reader

I’d like to introduce you to Windows Hello – biometric authentication which can provide instant access to your Windows 10 devices.* With Windows Hello, you’ll be able to just show your face, or touch your finger, to new devices running Windows 10 and be immediately recognized. And not only is Windows Hello more convenient than typing a password—it’s more secure! Our system enables you to authenticate applications, enterprise content, and even certain online experiences without a password being stored on your device or in a network server at all.

So how does it all work?

Windows Hello introduces system support for biometric authentication – using your face, iris, or fingerprint to unlock your devices – with technology that is much safer than traditional passwords. You– uniquely you– plus your device are the keys to your Windows experience, apps, data and even websites and services – not a random assortment of letters and numbers that are easily forgotten, hacked, or written down and pinned to a bulletin board. Modern sensors recognize your unique personal characteristics to sign-you-in on a supporting Windows 10 device.

Which devices, you ask? Well, there will be plenty of exciting new Windows 10 devices to choose from which will support Windows Hello. And, if your devicealready has a fingerprint reader, you’ll be able to use Windows Hello to unlock that device. For facial or iris detection, Windows Hello uses a combination of special hardware and software to accurately verify it is you – not a picture of you or someone trying to impersonate you. The cameras use infrared technology to identify your face or iris and can recognize you in a variety of lighting conditions.

Of course, convenience and simplicity should never sacrifice security and privacy. Windows Hello offers enterprise-grade security that will meet the requirements of organizations with some of the strictest requirements and regulations. It’s a solution that government, defense, financial, health care and other related organizations will use to enhance their overall security, with a simple experience designed to delight.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I saw that option when I was setting my laptop up but decided not to, I often turn it on then walk away to do other stuff. I don't really need any extra security since no one besides me ever uses it, so logging in without any password is just fine.
Are you using it though? I haven't read any feedback on it, but it does look interesting
http://www.amazon.com/Eikon-Fingerp...1-5&keywords=USB+Biometric+Fingerprint+Reader
Tried it because I installed Windows 10 on my wife's laptop and my wife absolutely hates passwords. So far so good.

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
If you are that afraid of your privacy being invaded, then I'm sure you do not do any kind of purchase online, such as Amazon or Ebay, and that you never use Google or Facebook!

Also be careful of the Microsoft overlords, there is an option to keep your mic always running (not for Cortana to respond when you say "Hey Cortana" or anything) and they actually record everyone's voice all the time!

Thing is, Google at the very least has the decency to combat the NSA and other spying tactics. IIRC there's been a story from 2012 ( before the whistleblowing ) that Google wasn't going to hand out their information because that would compromise their way of selling better ads, which I'm fine with. It's been buried within the web though, can't find the article.

As for Facebook.. honestly, if you saw the T-shirt Zuckerberg wore, he just pretty much sold his entire soul to his own company, either sad and depressing that a young man like him is pretty much stuck with his ( not ) creation for life OR if you think of it the way I do, he's a businessman who used shady tactics the way Microsoft did in order to steal from his coworkers and he pretty much might not ever feel what it's like to be a normal human being ever again, so good for him in a business sense.

I'm not full blown tinfoil-hat, but try getting stalked, have your family's dox posted to a bunch of freaks on the Internet and you'd want to try taking a few precautions, even if you think Big Brother is gonna help you out, it should make sense that if you're out of one of your states that still has Marijuana illegal, they could press charges or something if crazy people start giving a shit about petty things within the mainstream media.

Chance

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It shouldn't cause any performance issues, it's just about as demanding as 7 and 8.1. I've been using it for months and I absolutely love it.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Should i get Windows 10 for free? Do you guys think the upgrade is going to be worth it? Do you think upgrading will cause performance issues on my laptop?
i read through it, there are mixed reactions, and a lot of irrelevant information. So i made a thread to seek basic answers to basic questions.
Heh, okay then.

1. During the "Reservation" process your PC hardware configuration will be analyzed and you will be told whether or not your PC will run WinX just fine;
  2. WinX is even more light weight than Win8 and Win7;
  3. IT'S FREE! And you will have a chance to roll back to your previous OS within 30 days from upgrade.

Reactions: Toxik

courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
I've noticed no difference honestly on both my desktop and laptop that are upgraded to W10.
Heh, okay then.

1. During the "Reservation" process your PC hardware configuration will be analyzed and you will be told whether or not your PC will run WinX just fine;
    WinX is even more light weight than Win8 and Win7;
    IT'S FREE! And you will have a chance to roll back to your previous OS within 30 days from upgrade.
how long after receiing the pop-up will i get the email? I just got the pop-up at the time of posting this thread

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
how long after receiing the pop-up will i get the email? I just got the pop-up at the time of posting this thread
No certain time. You can enforce an upgrade by simply running Windows Update after enrolling in the program. It should find one update called "Windows 10". Once you click on Install - it will automatically update your OS preserving all your settings and data.

Last edited:

courtsnort♩♪♫♬

Banned
Contributor
No certain time. You can enforce an upgrade by simply running Windows Update after enrolling in the program. It should find one update called "Windows 10". Once you click on Install - it will automatically update your OS preserving all your settings and data.
estimated time it takes to download?

FISH KILL

Wicked Nasty Engineer
I haven't had any issues with it at all, plus this is the last Windows that will ever be made...so at some point in your life you'll most likely have a WinX PC anyways so I say do it. I mean it's free for a year, so why not :P?