Shula

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Toxik, watch Food Inc. on Netflix I think you would like it. I think that moderation and making informed decisions is the key. Like, not buying meat at Walmart or big chain grocery stores. It's full of chemicals and disgusting. Meat does not naturally stay red that long without something being added to it. Local meat markets or farmer's markets are ideal. I have a few chickens for eggs and I hunt wild game to fill my freezer, not sport. (I understand that is not feasible for a lot of people).

I have a niece that is vegan and I will make special dishes for her when she comes over. She doesn't flaunt it or tell us we are wrong for eating meat, which is cool. Just do what you think is the best for you and do some good research on a proper vegetarian/vegan diet if you decide to go that way.

Reactions: Toxik

Someone.

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
I have a niece that is vegan and I will make special dishes for her when she comes over. She doesn't flaunt it or tell us we are wrong for eating meat, which is cool. Just do what you think is the best for you and do some good research on a proper vegetarian/vegan diet if you decide to go that way.
That is exactly what I do. There is no reason for others to tell you what to do.

Toxik

Contributor
Toxik, watch Food Inc. on Netflix I think you would like it. I think that moderation and making informed decisions is the key. Like, not buying meat at Walmart or big chain grocery stores. It's full of chemicals and disgusting. Meat does not naturally stay red that long without something being added to it. Local meat markets or farmer's markets are ideal. I have a few chickens for eggs and I hunt wild game to fill my freezer, not sport. (I understand that is not feasible for a lot of people).

Oh I saw Food Inc, I've seen a bunch of disturbing food industry documentaries but it's never really stopped me from eating meat, sadly
Local farmer markets are amazing, there are also a bunch of pretty good ones around here (and especially Portland)
My grandfather is also a hunter, but he stays within the legal kill limits and uses almost every part of the animals he kills, like you said it's not for sport, so I also support that :D

Reactions: Shula

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
I tried going vegetarian once. About a week in I started suffering from heavy nausea and fatigue among other things. I was later told by my physician that I was not getting enough dietary protein and fat in my diet and that I should eat more meat (and before anyone asks, yes, I ate plenty of nuts and beans in that week of being vegetarian). Anyone that says going vegetarian is healthier than being omnivorous couldn't be more wrong.

Reactions: Cowboy Crow

Thorin Oakenshield

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
If you don't have time to pull out resources, I doubt you took the time to watch the video. It doesn't say you shouldn't eat any meat, but that we don't need to eat all the meat we do, and that it's inhuman to do so due to all the awful processes that go through just for a 10 minutes meal.
Or, it could mean I had to go to work in half an hour and I didn't have time to decipher it in my 9th grade French and pull out all the sources I needed.
But hey, whatever you'd like.
For starters, I agree that factory farms are awful in the way they treat their animals. Do I think you should stop eating meat because of it? Yes and no. The factory-farmed meat, yes. Other meat, like from farms like this one, no.
I don't agree with everything this man says either, but he makes some good points about meat.
Thing is, you don't have to stop eating meat, and you also don't have to support those factory farms anymore. There are locally(healthily) produced meats available in lots of places.
I'll edit more in later if I can find some pages I saw a while ago but didn't bookmark.

Enigma

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
Tip if you go vegan: Drink OJ. It is usually on discount in grocery stores and provides ~1000 calories for a whole carton. This means you can either eat 2 other medium size meals or 1 large size meal for a total of 2000-3000 calories consumed based on your personal needs. It also saves you time because you do not have to prepare an additional meal. (You should also take into account the sugar and additional chemicals added to certain varieties of OJ.)

I'm not a vegetarian but I like OJ.

JohnnyGaloshes

Banned
Contributor
Tip if you go vegan: Drink OJ. It is usually on discount in grocery stores and provides ~1000 calories for a whole carton. This means you can either eat 2 other medium size meals or 1 large size meal for a total of 2000-3000 calories consumed based on your personal needs. It also saves you time because you do not have to prepare an additional meal. (You should also take into account the sugar and additional chemicals added to certain varieties of OJ.)

I'm not a vegetarian but I like OJ.

OJ with lots of pulp. Yum!

P Lash

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Meat and its taste is the greatest thing about life itself, why would I want to forsake non vegetarianism? Fuck that.

sov

Legendary Skial King
Give me some of that Ganja you've been puffin' Toxik. missing out in meat is like missing out on pussy

Toxik

Contributor
Give me some of that Ganja you've been puffin' Toxik. missing out in meat is like missing out on pussy
Sadly I was pretty high when I saw the video, it's probably why it messed with me so much
But anyways, I'm not telling people to stop eating meat, goddamit. I'm just saying don't buy meat products from places that fuck animals up with such cruelty it's heartbreaking.

FireGame

Positively Inhumane Poster
Eh, ethical issues aside...
Being a vegetarian/ vegan is perfectly possibly, and can be done with little to no health issues if you plan well. It's just harder and potentially more expensive, because society is based around omnivorous eating. Just keep in mind, there are certain diseases or disorders that make being vegan or vegetarian unhealthy or even deadly, such as Coeliac disease.

Astir

Legendary Skial King
Nobody seems to care about factuur vegetables either. They also get treated with a lot of chemicals. They are bred with many in one place and pulled away cruelly from their family and friends when their time has come.

Rehn

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
Vegetables are overrated. There should be a word for people who give up vegetables in their diet.