Reporter

Administrator
Weird hitreg on community servers...
So I started playing again on community servers after all the recent events were done and I noticed something weird about them which I had noticed before but hadn't experienced in Valve servers. I'm talking about hit registration and microstutters which I experience on community servers but not on Valve servers.

Regarding hitreg, I have been playing on TF2 APP and Skial and found that my accuracy was much worse than in a normal Valve server. Now, before you say that it's because players on community servers are better, no, that's not how it works right now. Because Gun Mettle could only be played on Valve servers (Gun Mettle maps on community servers didn't allow you to complete contracts), it brought a lot of good players to Valve servers. This continued with the Invasion and the Scream Fortress 7 updates, to the point that I was shocked at how bad the players were on my first game in a community server (I believe it was TF2 APP's Upward 24/7 server).

That felt very weird to me, because I had always assumed that the skill floor on community servers would be much higher than Valve servers, but I guess the recent contract events significantly raised the skill floor on the latter. In any case, I found that my accuracy was much worse on TF2 APP despite facing really terrible Gibus McPyrovisions (such as scouts who didn't know how to double jump). The worst part was when a Pyro charged me head on, and I missed all six shotgun blasts. Not even a glancing blow, like a -3 to the Pyro. Nothing.

One or more things are happening here:

1. A recent Valve update messed up performance on community servers, or more likely, the plugins, addons, and mods on community servers. This probably manifests in player model positions being delayed, among other things, so they're actually in a slightly different position than where they are on my screen.

2. I'm bad or just on tilt, and I should feel terrible about myself for whining. I'm not discounting this yet, but missing a pyro charging in a straight line and a heavy standing still makes me seriously doubt this.

3. The prediction and lag compensation on TF2 APP and other community servers is different from the ones on Valve servers. This might be why I miss my minigun shots for the first half second of firing on community servers, but I deal at least glancing damage on Valve servers. I also noticed that when I do jumping revs with my minigun, I sometimes do not jump and simply start revving up. I also noticed several heavies who aren't new to the game simply rev up without jumping first. I have never experienced this on Valve servers, but have experienced it recently on Skial and TF2 APP.

Author: AronTimes

https://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/3tmnxl/weird_hitreg_on_community_servers/
http://www.reddit.com/r/tf2/comments/3tmnxl/weird_hitreg_on_community_servers/?ref=search_posts