mub

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
The Spy nerf was recently implemented, but as I feared, was just a flat -33% backstab damage nerf.
If he's going to have a damage nerf, it would be nice to have some better diversity for this class in the form of more modified weapons, as his VSH kit has been lacking compared to the other classes.

Otherwise, we're stuck with a VSH class with one "meta" loadout, no support, no mobility, and a DPS that is now rival-able by all the other classes.

(The following changes were originally proposed in another thread but got buried/ignored.)

Knives:

Stock Knife: no change.
Big Earner: give a speed boost of for 7 seconds on backstab, reduce max Spy health to 80.
The default speed boost should work. If we need a reference, it's 35% faster (the disciplinary action effect.) The further health reduction is to prevent it from being just a better stock knife.
Spy-cicle: removes 25% rage on stab, backstab damage is decreased by 25%
This would intend to make the Spy-cicle a support weapon.
YER/Wanga Prick: Removes disguise kit and cloak from Spy; grants passive scout speed.
A glass cannon variant. Spy is certainly dead upon one successful hit no matter what, but he's slightly more mobile now.

Guns:

Stock Revolver: no change.
L'Etranger: no change.
Ambassador: remove damage falloff
In order to get the full 255 damage, you have to be within 10 feet of the Hale. If someone can reliably hit Amby headshots from a long distance, it should be rewarded the same.
Alternatively, please buff the headshot damage if we can't remove the falloff.

Enforcer: marks boss (like Sniper) on successful hit.
Another weapon that would function as a support.
Diamondback: change crits received on stab from 2 to 6.
Considering that one shot from the stock revolver on minicrits can do up to 80 damage, 255 from a diamondback crit doesn't mean a lot unless Spy got a lot more of it.

Cloak:

Stock cloak/Cloak and Dagger: disciplinary action effect speed while invisible.
I can't think of anything more creative here that doesn't require a lot more coding to pull off.

Last edited:

Xerʘ

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
I +1 everything but i'm not sure of the enforcer one. How long will they be marked for? I think even if it marks as long per shot as an uncharged sniper shot that would be too long.

Reactions: mub

mub

Contributor
I +1 everything but i'm not sure of the enforcer one. How long will they be marked for? I think even if it marks as long per shot as an uncharged sniper shot that would be too long.

Just one second, maybe even slightly less would be plenty IMO. Just long enough that chaining together multiple successful shots would be as useful as a Sniper's shot.

Xerʘ

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Just one second, maybe even slightly less would be plenty IMO. Just long enough that chaining together multiple successful shots would be as useful as a Sniper's shot.

I think just long enough that chaining shots keep him marked, if that can be done +1 any longer and I think it's too long.

Slip

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
+1
Glass cannon idea would be fun

Some changes I'd make though...

Big Earner: Set health 100 as it used to be, so you survive a hit if you're cloaked and full health.
Enforcer: Don't mark, instead change 20% damage bonus when disused to 20% damage bonus whenever
Diamondback: change crits received on stab from 2 to 4.

6 is too much. You're already doing thousands of damage with a backstab. Four crit shots would allow an extra ~1K damage if you land the shots carefully, which seems fair.

Cloak:
Dead Ringer: increase feign cooldown
Prevents spys from allowing them to throw themselves on hale without risk. DR can be very spammy, currently spies in VSH use it as a hale deterrence instead of a proper feign (which can get quite annoying).

mub

Contributor
+1
Glass cannon idea would be fun

Some changes I'd make though...

Big Earner: Set health 100 as it used to be, so you survive a hit if you're cloaked and full health.
Enforcer: Don't mark, instead change 20% damage bonus when disused to 20% damage bonus whenever
Diamondback: change crits received on stab from 2 to 4.

6 is too much. You're already doing thousands of damage with a backstab. Four crit shots would allow an extra ~1K damage if you land the shots carefully, which seems fair.

Cloak:
Dead Ringer: increase feign cooldown
Prevents spys from allowing them to throw themselves on hale without risk. DR can be very spammy, currently spies in VSH use it as a hale deterrence instead of a proper feign (which can get quite annoying).

If we were to have Enforcer be for pure Gunspy I'd maybe bump that damage higher.

Enforcer's damage would need to be 40% higher just to break even DPS-wise with Stock Revolver, so considering that Hale may be at range and you'll need to use spread cooldown, I think 30% would be a good bump instead of 20%.

Dead Ringer default takes 10 seconds minimum to recharge, 20 seconds at full usage, what would you propose this be changed to?

Last edited:

Slip

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Mapper
If we were to have Enforcer be for pure Gunspy I'd maybe bump that damage higher.

Enforcer's damage would need to be 40% higher just to break even DPS-wise with Stock Revolver, so considering that Hale may be at range and you'll need to use spread cooldown, I think 30% would be a good bump instead of 20%.

Dead Ringer default takes 10 seconds minimum to recharge, 20 seconds at full usage, what would you propose this be changed to?

30%-40% dmg buff for enforcer sounds good. But then the revolver would be a straight downgrade.

And for Dead Ringer, 20 seconds minimum and 30 full usage sounds fair

Reactions: mub

mub

Contributor
30%-40% dmg buff for enforcer sounds good. But then the revolver would be a straight downgrade.

And for Dead Ringer, 20 seconds minimum and 30 full usage sounds fair

Well, the revolver wouldn't be quite a downgrade. Due to how spread cooldown works, the idea is that the Enforcer is better at range and the Revolver can deal damage faster up close. Alternatively we could make the stock revolver the one that awards boss marking on hit.

a change from 10/20 to 20/30 sounds a bit much to start with, maybe start with a 50% increase on recharge for DR first (15/30) and see how that fares. Spy only gets the minimum end if he immediately decloaks on hit.

Last edited:

mub

Contributor
Additionally, if we were to try to make the Dead Ringer a proper feign death and less spammy, maybe a good trade-off for the increased time to charge it would be to be able to feign all deaths. Therefore I'd like to propose tweaking the values so that goomba/stomp can be ringer-able.

Zeke Aileron

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
+1

+crit resistance for Easter Bunny and Trolldier.

Can I get more clarity for this bit?

Spy-cicle: removes 25% rage on stab, backstab damage is decreased by 25%
This would intend to make the Spy-cicle a support weapon.

This would be nice; however, I do think the rage removal % should be lowered to 10%-12% and or if VSH2 has a plug-in similar to Ozfur where you can disable the Hale's rage for a specified amount of time instead of removing their %.

Overall I like the stats I'm seeing in the op post, hopefully Spy gets some weapon adjustments.

mub

Contributor
Overall I like the stats I'm seeing in the op post, hopefully Spy gets some weapon adjustments.

These weapons were modified in other ways, I don't know why this thread was necro'd.

Requesting marking "Declined".