s9491

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
I know map decisions are largely data driven and that makes removal choices pretty simple with internal data. However, for additions you're likely either using very old internal data for previously run maps or using limited data from other servers that aren't very populated to begin with and have different gameplay. When I look at what maps are popular on other servers it can be a bit baffling in relation to skial US. There is no guarantee one community is going to take to a map because another one does. Also, some maps that were even top maps on skial a couple years ago have changed significantly in popularity. So you just never know what's going to stick unless you try.

So what if skial vsh had a short period of time where the map rotation is completely swapped out for a group of something like 15-20 maps contending for a handful of regular map pool spots? It would be really fun for the community. Everyone loves new stuff. Instead of adding a couple maps into a large existing pool and waiting months to see if it still gets chosen you can get internal data to compare and quality player feedback on a whole bunch of maps. It could also inspire some map makers and editors knowing there is a greater chance their map would get played on the leading vsh server. Seems like a win for everyone.

Here are some maps I'd personally like to see tested with the current community. Mostly chosen based on experience with the community and what they already like/don't like, some also from nostalgia chatter, some because they have unique features to offer the current map rotation.

vsh_cosmos_b4
vsh_spaaaaace_v1_fix_s3
vsh_livingroomr_v2af
vsh_croc_lab_b5
vsh_aaaaa_b1c
vsh_bianco_hills_v6
vsh_supermarket_v2a
vsh_mariokart2_pb1
vsh_yammoe_rc3
vsh_zelda_ww_outset_island
vsh_frogworks_b5
vsh_below_zero
vsh_hella_swag_v3
vsh_arktown_final
vsh_landstalker

Reactions: MrLupin

Zeke Aileron

Gore-Spattered Heavy
Contributor
I'd +1 this in a heartbeat; however, there's a few issues with this so it's going to be a 0 from me.

1. FF2 shares the Map pool with VSH US and EU, so this would affect them if this occurred, in which you'd have to think about them as well cause most of their server activity is during the evening and weekends.
2. Cinema is way too popular(troll voting for the memes and Red side win farming Since i play on the server and read chat, listen to voice chat, and know the strats for that garbage map as well compared to alot of other players), if it was gone for a weekend and or playtest week, a small portion of the VSH community wouldn't play to contribute to this (which case would be good cause their map taste is pretty terrible if they're only thinking of one side and not both sides). So this would be a welcome thing if it was able to happen, but i don't see this happening at all anyways.

If FF2's and VSH's Map pool was separated this would work and could be a thing, but sadly it won't change.

Bottiger

Administrator
So what if skial vsh had a short period of time where the map rotation is completely swapped out for a group of something like 15-20 maps contending for a handful of regular map pool spots?

This sounds like a terrible idea to me. You want all the best maps removed so everyone can only play on a few maps where 90% of them will be bad?? That's a great way to kill the server or to ensure that the data you collect will be flawed.

I don't get what you mean by "very old internal data for previously run maps or using limited data from other servers that aren't very populated to begin with". The data is continuously updated and if a map becomes unpopular, this does not make the data old. Maps don't magically become popular again. It very rarely happens and very often the map falls out of popularity again like oilrig.

I'm very aware of the fact that other servers have fewer people in them which is why I only add the top maps from them and they are not completely dead either to be considered irrelevant.