Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Just another stupid computer question of mine.

Put simply, I have a Nvida 8800M GTS. The game I want to play requires a minimum video card of a Nvida 9600 GT

My question is basically - because my video card doesn't meet the minimum requirement can I not run the game period, or will it still run but just run like shit?

Nothing_Much

Banned
Contributor
It'll just run like shit unless an error occurs that it'll state that it won't run on your PC. That's the worst that can happen.

ViperStriker

Banned
Contributor
Actually the worst that can happen is you over heat your graphics card.

Yeah, if you overheat your GPU, you can cause massive malfunctions with it, causing glitched textures in games and on normal programs, occasional failure to respond from your GPU, and overall fuck the thing.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Actually the worst that can happen is you over heat your graphics card.

I often have my processor maxed out at 100% for ridiculous amounts of time in Guild Wars 2 and it never goes past 158F (it automatically turns off at 185F) so this seems to have some decent cooling power.

Not sure if that translates over to the video card though, but so far all my overheating issues always seem to of been from my CPU. That's fixed now because I blew out 3 years of dust packed into this thing

Just wondering, what game is that you want to play?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/236090

It says it needs a Nvida 9800 to run but that seems a little...over kill just by looking at the graphics. It's a side-scrolling 2D game so a 9800? Wat. I'm not a expert but damn, I must be missing something.

spidEY

Scarcely Lethal Noob
Although it's not disclosed very clearly on the store page, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT is actually apart of the recommended system requirements. With that being said, even though you're on a laptop, the game should run just fine.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Although it's not disclosed very clearly on the store page, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT is actually apart of the recommended system requirements. With that being said, even though you're on a laptop, the game should run just fine.

Ooh gotcha, thanks. I thought the 9800 was the minimum requirements.

I've been playing the game a bit and it seems to be running fine

Thanks everyone for the replies, I'll mark this as solved now