S0nic

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
Title says all. What do you think this means for future Paper Mario titles? I hope that they'll finally go back to the original formula after this (hopefully) sells well.
For anyone who hasn't heard of or watched the trailer I'm talking about:

Last edited:

S0nic

Contributor
Looks fucking nice. If they tone down the amount of backtracking from the original, or at the very least allow earlier access to the blue pipes in the sewers, that'd be huge.
I agree, though I feel like backtracking was sort of a huge part of Paper Mario games in general, though I really wouldn't mind those changes to be a thing.
Nonetheless, I was shocked when I first heard about this.

The Cloptologist

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Controversial take, so scroll past if you need to.

Honestly, I have no interest in buying a game that I bought once before, and can just play it via emulation in a better resolution and frame rate than the Switch can pump out. Don't get me wrong, the Switch was a great machine when it came out, but now it's a paperweight with other, more powerful and flexible handhelds on the market now.

To be very blunt, the whole Direct left a bad taste in my mouth. The vast majority of announcements, were either remasters, some game that will be on other platforms, or shovelware. Only thing that even caught my interest, was the new Princess Peach game and once I saw the price, I lost all interest. Sixty bucks for a game on a piece of hardware that is very outdated and should have been replaced two years ago, is too much to ask for.

As someone who was neck deep in the console wars back in 90s, it's terrible to see how Nintendo has just become this recycling machine of old nostalgia with no innovation anymore. Seriously, Furukawa needs to step down and let someone else take over the company.

Oosik

Contributor
Remakes of old Nintendo games are pointless when Emulation far surpasses what the parent company can perform.

Couple that with the fact Nintendo will most likely charge you 50-70 dollars for a game you've already played.

To be honest any remake falls into this category; if there's an official release there's a fan project that did it better years ago for free/donations received from fans, save for a few games.

Fumlarn

Uncharitable Spy
Contributor
Remakes of old Nintendo games are pointless when Emulation far surpasses what the parent company can perform.

Couple that with the fact Nintendo will most likely charge you 50-70 dollars for a game you've already played.

To be honest any remake falls into this category; if there's an official release there's a fan project that did it better years ago for free/donations received from fans, save for a few games.
main examples are n64 - wii games which you can probably play for the same quality and resolution on their respective consoles and not pay god damn 60 dollars for a "remastered" game