Showin; Growin;

Scarcely Lethal Noob
I've read why the server operators don't want to bring in rotations for maps that are less popular. It's mainly due to the player count. But I figured out a way that could possibly fix that issue and allow the servers to expand beyond maps like 2fort.

There's a simple command called "mp_mapcycle_empty_timeout_seconds" that could rotate the server to a map that's more popular like 2fort.

The server will stay on an "unpopular" map (by unpopular I simply mean it won't fill a server) for a set period of time if it currently has 0 players. Usually a minute. If it doesn't get at least 1 player within this set time it will rotate to the next map in the rotation. This means it will eventually rotate to a "popular" map like ctf_2fort. These maps won't rotate for at least 30 minutes. This gives the server time to get some players before it rotates. Then the next map in the rotation could potentially have some players.

I have a base config here if anyone wants to check out how it could be set up.

The link unfortunately won't work for a while due to some mods of mine (like the bot overhaul) generating too much traffic. I may eventually move it to another site if it remains this way. Let me know if there's any interest in this idea and I'll do it sooner.

Bottiger

Administrator
That wouldn't work, people are already too lazy to seed servers. Most of our servers are 24/7.

And our payload servers already work this way.

Showin; Growin;

Scarcely Lethal Noob
That wouldn't work, people are already too lazy to seed servers. Most of our servers are 24/7.

And our payload servers already work this way.

I wasn't aware that this was how your payload servers worked. I assumed it could work with specific rotations like a ctf rotation (because some maps like 2fort and turbine are very popular) but I guess you're right.

Last edited: