hXcjedders

Australian Skial God
GUYS YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ RIOT ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
Actually, the media has it wrong. It was 25 years ago today that the proposal was written for the world wide web. The first server didn't come online until months later. Even then, I'd hardly say a single server makes a "web." For that, I'd say you have to have at least three publicly accessible servers online.

One news agency reports it as such and everyone else follows along. Lemmings everywhere.

Also, the world wide web and the internet are not the same thing. The internet is older than the world wide web. The internet started out as a research program by the US millitary, known as ARPANET and first went online in 1969.

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
Actually, the media has it wrong. It was 25 years ago today that the proposal was written for the world wide web. The first server didn't come online until months later. Even then, I'd hardly say a single server makes a "web." For that, I'd say you have to have at least three publicly accessible servers online.

One news agency reports it as such and everyone else follows along. Lemmings everywhere.

Also, the world wide web and the internet are not the same thing. The internet is older than the world wide web. The internet started out as a research program by the US millitary, known as ARPANET and first went online in 1969.

From the article above...
In 1989... Sir Tim Berners-Lee proposed an “information management” system that would allow people to access pages hosted on computers across the globe.
“If you weren’t technologically sophisticated, you couldn’t really use it, because you had to use all of these arcane tools and commands,”
To be clear, the Internet existed before 1989. In-the-know people might connect through a bulletin board system (BBS) or, later, through an email or forum with a service like CompuServe, but the idea of pulling up a website was foreign.

Berners-Lee, who received a knighthood for his work, changed that.

Fang

Australian Skial God
Contributor
internet_in_a_nutshell-64102.gif

mqKu32X.gif

Happy internet appreciation day.

tux9656

Uncharitable Spy
From the article above...
Did you even read my post? I'm not arguing against the article, I'm arguing that yesterday was not the birth of the world wide web. The actual birth of the world wide web requires there to be a web of http servers online. In order for it to be a web, there would have to be a minimum of three http servers. I also clearly stated that the internet first went online in 1969.