Bottiger

Administrator
As many of you already know, we have been testing a 60+ slot TF2 server on Zombie Escape US. Naturally we have gotten a lot of questions and misinformation about it so I will write down some answers here so I don't have to keep repeating myself.

Can you fix all the crashes?
We don't know! All server crashes have been fixed, but there are still client crashes where we get almost no usable information. There's only about 1-2 mass crashes per day now and we think we have a workaround for them. There will be 1 person crashing every hour but that is likely due to an issue on their end like running out of memory or having mods installed.

Why does the scoreboard only show 33 players are you lying to me?
The scoreboard is unable to show more than 33 players.

What is errorname?
Anyone that connected to a slot above 33 will show up as errorname in the killfeed or when you aim at them.

Why am I not showing up in voice chat?
Anyone above slot 33 will show up in the bottom-middle of the screen. The default gui is unable to show extra slot players.

How do I mute an extra slot player?
You can use the !ignore command

I am still crashing even though nobody else does.
Please ensure you have enough memory for TF2, a 60 slot server is naturally going to use more memory and we have already seen someone crash from running out of memory. You should also remove all mods and 3rd party configs like MASTERCOMFIG, they can actually cause more crashes to happen. Delete any extra materials/models/sounds/particles in your tf2 and custom folder.

Did you make this?
Yes. We did a significant amount of work to make it so the server and players don't crash in a few minutes. There is a public mod made by rafradeki which we use and acknowledge his contribution, but it was only made for bots. A community called otaku.tf is going around spreading a rumor that we only use his code and claiming credit for it, which is false.
How did you do it?
By editing TF2 code which involves many hours of staring at something like this because we cannot edit the source code.

235392030-67212dc3-00d4-40b0-b0d1-74acabce11b5.png

Can you do more slots like 100?
All our plugins and sourcemod is compiled for 65 slots max so we are not considering going beyond 64 for the forseeable future. We are already running into the entity limit which cannot be changed.

Will you put this on other servers like 2fort or dustbowl?
We will probably not put this on vanilla game modes. Extra slot players do not get lag compensation and the kill feed is a key part of vanilla game play. This mod is more suitable for servers like Trade or Idle, and maybe VSH. Deathrun maps are balanced for 32 players and you can't add more traps without editing the map.

When will you put this on other servers?
We will be keeping it on 1 server until we are satisfied with the stability.

Presto

Uncharitable Spy
As many of you already know, we have been testing a 60+ slot TF2 server on Zombie Escape US. Naturally we have gotten a lot of questions and misinformation about it so I will write down some answers here so I don't have to keep repeating myself.

We don't know! All server crashes have been fixed, but there are still client crashes where we get almost no usable information. There's only about 1-2 mass crashes per day now and we think we have a workaround for them. There will be 1 person crashing every hour but that is likely due to an issue on their end like running out of memory or having mods installed.

What is errorname?
Anyone that connected to a slot above 33 will show up as errorname in the killfeed or when you aim at them.

Anyone above slot 33 will show up in the bottom-middle of the screen. The default gui is unable to show extra slot players.

Please ensure you have enough memory for TF2, a 60 slot server is naturally going to use more memory and we have already seen someone crash from running out of memory. You should also remove all mods and 3rd party configs like MASTERCOMFIG, they can actually cause more crashes to happen. Delete any extra materials/models/sounds/particles in your tf2 and custom folder.

Did you make this?
Yes. We did a significant amount of work to make it so the server and players don't crash in a few minutes. There is a public mod made by rafradeki which we use and acknowledge his contribution, but it was only made for bots. A community called otaku.tf is going around spreading a rumor that we only use his code and claiming credit for it, which is false.
How did you do it?
By editing TF2 code which involves many hours of staring at something like this because we cannot edit the source code.

All our plugins and sourcemod is compiled for 65 slots max so we are not considering going beyond 64 for the forseeable future. We are already running into the entity limit which cannot be changed.

We will probably not put this on vanilla game modes. Extra slot players do not get lag compensation and the kill feed is a key part of vanilla game play. This mod is more suitable for servers like Trade or Idle, and maybe VSH. Deathrun maps are balanced for 32 players and you can't add more traps without editing the map.

This is cool, may I ask though what is the FPS difference between the standard 32 players and 60 players. I assume there will be obviously a performance drop as shown by the crashing and more memory usage but is there like any fps benchmarks available

TheAssailant

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Contributor
You can enable an FPS counter for all games in Steam. Steam config -> In-Game -> "In-game FPS counter" -> [Pick a corner]. I suggest checking the "use a high contrast color" checkbox as well.

Also if you don't already have it, I highly recommend getting yourself a nice Mastercomfig setup. You can tune it to your liking and it will give you a better frame rate on Skial servers and everywhere else.

PotatoGod

Mildly Menacing Medic
Contributor
I do not recommend using 3rd party configs, it will increase the chance of crashes and visual glitches.
I second this notion, I actually had that same masterconfig installed a couple of days ago but removed it because I would keep crashing randomly on the server now. After deleting the files, no crash :). The weirdest part is it would crash 100% when going soldier and holding the banners horns(When using the buff banners, you can keep holding m1 once your activate the horn and the effect won't start till you let go)

What is errorname?

Did you make this?
How did you do it?

Yeah this definitely sounds like a great idea. It would be rather interesting to see for myself.

Sore

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
If you're using mods or 3rd party configs, it'll cause errors in the server to occur for you
Wrong. mods or 3rd party configs doesn't cause people to be errornames. They are above 33 slot player.
This is the right one
Bottiger said:

What is errorname?

Sore

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Wrong. mods or 3rd party configs doesn't cause people to be errornames. They are above 33 slot player.
This is the right one
I checked bottiger's message on discord skial server, if you use mods/3rd party configs there will be error textures. It's on you.

VentureDev

Sufficiently Lethal Scout
TF2 cannot display more than 33 players names in a server, everybody beyond the 33rd slot will be named ERRORNAME.
3rd party configs will only increase the likelihood of crashing in a server. It does not cause ERRORNAMEs and shouldn't cause any error textures.

RenZ

Face-Melting F2Per
Contributor
with the update 2 days ago, the maxplayer count can be uncapped, any chance for it to return to some of the other servers like trade?

I am aware it made trade US a tad slower to boot but remained reasonably stable. It might be more worthwhile financially to increase player caps in some servers rather than renting out more servers to keep up with demand

Last edited: