Pengy

Legendary Skial King
http://steamcommunity.com/auction
I'm certainly interested to see how this plays out. Problem is that the max bids on about every single thing ever are way to high for me. But it's still definitely interesting and I hope it's not as infuriating as trying to buy something on eBay.

Reactions: Chance

sov

Legendary Skial King
I can already tell that you'll need a shitload of gems, or steam items, to get something. Even for the 300 and 400 gem items.

ToTeM

Australian Skial God
Contributor
i made some gems checked the games and now realize i'll never have enough gems and i regret making them

Someone.

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
I hope the people bidding for the 2014 Holiday Profile know that it expires: Highest bid is currently 900,100 Gems

Proxy

Truly Feared Pyro
This whole gem thing is stupid. I mean I love that valve comes up with cool and creative holiday events but this is just pointless. The only people who are going to win the auctions are the people who already spent a shit ton of money to get gems. Making the point of the auctions...pointless. The only thing remotely worthwhile are the 100 limited edition steam profile holiday 2014 things, which I'm sure people will spend $1000's on to get... The ability to create booster packs seems cool too but it's the same as the auctions, you're going to need to spend money to get them making it redundant when you could just buy the packs. Nobody has enough shit to turn into gems unless they are somebody who already spends so much money on making badges and leveling their account.

Valve does a great job at making a seemingly positive incentive just cause people to spend more money anyway.

Silver Ag

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
and the gems turns back to being worthless
Actually never mind it was just down for fix, possibly fixing the duping glitch.

Last edited:

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The winning bids for all of these games are going to be worth more in gems than if you had just bought the game directly with wallet funds from selling your stuff on the market. Turbo-retarded.

Still, let's acknowledge for a second that Valve actually figured out a way to convince people to work harder so that they can pay more.

Silver Ag

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
The winning bids for all of these games are going to be worth more in gems than if you had just bought the game directly with wallet funds from selling your stuff on the market. Turbo-retarded.

Still, let's acknowledge for a second that Valve actually figured out a way to convince people to work harder so that they can pay more.
if you consider duping gem as working hard then sure valve succeed

TEhMAn92

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
meh, if people are willing to spend that much time and money then whatever, it's just a shame that those who aren't rich can't compete in any way
but at least this'll desaturate the market of cheap unwanted items

KinCryos

TF2 Admin
Contributor
Mapper
need more gems, to make more booster packs, to craft badges, to get craft rewards, to turn into gems, to sell for opium

it sucks that the crappy item rewards from past holiday sales can't be turned into gems