CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Noticed that anyone can join the chat room for the Admin Group for Skial. I was thinking that we might be able to implement a plugin that takes the user to that page, so they can click "Join Chat". All the admins could leave that up on their chat windows for Steam, so if there's ever a problem, every admin would hear about it as soon as it's reported.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Wouldn't putting a chatbox on Skial's forum be easier and more convenient?

Like this:

VKz8p.jpg

bunnyf00d

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
Wouldn't putting a chatbox on Skial's forum be easier and more convenient?
That wouldn't alert admins on Steam, though. They'd have to be looking at the chat box to see anything.

Plugin? It wouldn't be complicated - have a "!admin" thing that links someone to this page.
what if it went to the steam://whatever link instead? and just opened up the chat room the same way clicking "enter chat room" would?

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Meh, I don't like the switching to forums to do it. Most people would probably be more comfortable with Steam chat. They wouldn't even need to register on the forums with this, which lazier people would be more likely to give up during. That, and a chat box would probably be used just for random chat instead of people alerting us of problems.
Does Steam have an option where group chat WILL give notifications?

We've spoken about an "!admin" command for a long while now to alert admins. Now that we have Skial Admin Group (formerly called useless lawl), people could easily get the access to people who'll help.

Bottiger

Administrator
Interfacing with Steam chat is a gray area I prefer not to do if possible.

Valve can change the data format at any time since it isn't public, and I don't want to be stuck maintaining code every time it changes.

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Interfacing with Steam chat is a gray area I prefer not to do if possible.

Valve can change the data format at any time since it isn't public, and I don't want to be stuck maintaining code every time it changes.
That's reasonable, but this would only link us to the static URL of the Skial Admin group. It would be up to the user to press the chat, and wouldn't involve any programming, aside from making "!contactadmin" or whatever we may decide upon.

No upkeep would be required, as far as I can think of.

Bottiger

Administrator
That's reasonable, but this would only link us to the static URL of the Skial Admin group. It would be up to the user to press the chat, and wouldn't involve any programming, aside from making "!contactadmin" or whatever we may decide upon.

No upkeep would be required, as far as I can think of.

I already have !report and !abuse link to the bans forum. Maybe I should make it link to the admin Steam group?

CiNiC

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Anyone can join the group chat. You put that plugin on the servers, and every time I see it in chat, I'd check it myself.

This combined with the plugin for people to see the server rules would really get things cracking down and keep our servers as we want them.