Xantam

Server-Clearing Cynic
Contributor
Evening folks,

In the last month I've had 2 friends accounts compromised asking me for details or trying to give me "rewards" which ultimately lands up with them trying to compromise my accounts too.

In this day and age of cyber terrorism it's imperative that you secure your steam account.

The absolute best method is Mobile Verification. This ensures that where ever you log into your steam account, web-page or steam client, you have to verify it with your mobile application with a code.

Unless the perpetrator manages to get hold of your mobile for this code or you are stupid enough to send them the code before it expires (every 30 seconds) then they stand no chance, or severely reduced chances at least.

Below are the steps to activate 2 factor authentication with mobile app, please use it. It's not the lottery, it will happen if you aren't careful.

1)
Download either the android app, or the iTunes app on your mobile.

2)
Open the steam App and open the left panel menu, click "Steam Guard"
IMG_6568.jpg

3)
Click the button "Add Authenticator".
1.jpg

4)
Enter your mobile number so they can text you and verify the phone belongs to you.
2.jpg

5)
Enter the code that Steam texts you to verify ownership.
4.jpg

6)
Note down the recovery code and store somewhere secure.
5.jpg

Reactions: Percilius

bl0

Positively Inhumane Poster
Contributor
Thanks Dad for the heads up.

It's normally people who are careless that get hacked tbh.

Last edited:

-raul-

Scarcely Lethal Noob
To add to your post OP. Never send ANY of the codes generated by the mobile authentication app. Malicious actors can gain the ability to reset your credentials with a code that expired 10 minutes before the current code.

Profile_Name

Uncharitable Spy
To add to your post OP. Never send ANY of the codes generated by the mobile authentication app. Malicious actors can gain the ability to reset your credentials with a code that expired 10 minutes before the current code.

Never knew that could happen or could be an issue, but dang