Happy Cake Oven

Mildly Menacing Medic
A friend of mine just gave me a copy, but I'm not really sure if I want to play. I played countless hours of Dota before I switched to HoN. I logged 1000+ games and had a MMR of 1750-1800 before I quit about a year ago.

Thing is, I heard a lot about Dota 2's unpolished state and I wanted to ask if anyone has made the switch from HoN to Dota 2. Also, what is the biggest difference between HoN and Dota 2? What will I find most annoying if I do play?

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
A copy of DotA2 is incredibly easy to come by, so the value of a copy of the game is pretty much close to worthless.

Having said that, it's practically "free".. so why not?

Also take in regard that DotA2 is still in closed beta.

sov

Legendary Skial King
I'm just starting to get into it but I looks very fun. It's well worth your time.

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
A copy of DotA2 is incredibly easy to come by, so the value of a copy of the game is pretty much close to worthless.

Having said that, it's practically "free".. so why not?

Also take in regard that DotA2 is still in closed beta.
Closed Beta? Really? Didn't know that.

Anyways, I say no, but I don't really like that sort of game.
So...
y'know.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Closed Beta? Really? Didn't know that.

Anyways, I say no, but I don't really like that sort of game.
So...
y'know.

There really is only two types of Betas AFAIK, Open and Closed Beta. If DotA2 was in Open Beta, it wouldn't have the option to buy an invite in the store. It can also be said to be in Closed Beta since not everyone can access the game, despite the illusion that everyone can due to the tens of thousands of invites given away.

"Buy Dota 2: Early Access"

http://store.steampowered.com/app/570

Morbuzka

Rage-Inducing Forum Troll
Please don't play Dota 2, I'm begging you.... that game is horrible, in my opinion. I don't know what the fuck is going on, I can't even use the health tonics or whatever they are called.
I'm not insulting the game or anything, but I feel something simpler would be better, like Starcraft. Because Dota 2 is just a really confusing game to learn. Harder to learn than coming from CoD to TF2.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Please don't play Dota 2, I'm begging you.... that game is horrible, in my opinion. I don't know what the fuck is going on, I can't even use the health tonics or whatever they are called.
I'm not insulting the game or anything, but I feel something simpler would be better, like Starcraft. Because Dota 2 is just a really confusing game to learn. Harder to learn than coming from CoD to TF2.

In defense of the game, SC is pretty different than DotA2. In DotA2, you control a hero, not the creeps/minions/whateverthefuckyoucallem around you. In SC, you control the creeps/minions/etc or whatever AFAIK.

Also moving from CoD to TF2 is fairly.. light considering the circumstances. You can't really transfer SC skills over to DotA2, but you can transfer SOME albeit very little skill from CoD to TF2.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
The way I see it is if you got it as a gift, what do you got to lose? Give it a shot and you might like it.

If you were thinking of selling it then I'm not certain how much they go for, considering so many free copies were handed out. Hell, I see some people with literally 8 invites in their inventory.

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
The way I see it is if you got it as a gift, what do you got to lose? Give it a shot and you might like it.

If you were thinking of selling it then I'm not certain how much they go for, considering so many free copies were handed out. Hell, I see some people with literally 8 invites in their inventory.

They are literally worthless. I think I remember someone buying things like those (including SMNC beta, Steam Mobile beta, etc) for 1 wep each. If your lucky, you'll get maybe 1 Rec usually. Unless some sucker comes along, which is obviously quite rare.

To get a proper figure of how many were given out.
> AlienwareArena.com already gave out around 10k keys a few months ago over the span of 5 days or so.
> Valve gave anyone with at least a single minute of DotA2 1-4 copies of it in their inventory. This seems to have been done 2-3 times. The current players playing DotA2 is always like 100k, and 200k at it's peak almost everyday for the past month or so. So take that into consideration.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
They are literally worthless. I think I remember someone buying things like those (including SMNC beta, Steam Mobile beta, etc) for 1 wep each. If your lucky, you'll get maybe 1 Rec usually. Unless some sucker comes along, which is obviously quite rare.

To get a proper figure of how many were given out.
> AlienwareArena.com already gave out around 10k keys a few months ago over the span of 5 days or so.
> Valve gave anyone with at least a single minute of DotA2 1-4 copies of it in their inventory. This seems to have been done 2-3 times. The current players playing DotA2 is always like 100k, and 200k at it's peak almost everyday for the past month or so. So take that into consideration.

Jesus. I want to try it out but I can't seem to get my hands on a copy. I got all exicited when it said I can download it for free but then I soon learned I just had the spectator version

How much do they normally sell for in TF2 metal?

Derpingson

Totally Ordinary Human
Jesus. I want to try it out but I can't seem to get my hands on a copy. I got all exicited when it said I can download it for free but then I soon learned I just had the spectator version

How much do they normally sell for in TF2 metal?

Honestly, nothing. Add me, I got a spare copy. You can prob get a copy for like 2 scrap within 10 minutes of posting it on outpost.