Roman

Banned
Contributor
I ran into a situation yesterday where I spent two hours trying to get a DCS-930L wifi camera installed. Two of them, I should specify. First one went up like a champ. Second one wouldn't connect more than five feet away from the access point.

I still have a DGL-4500 sitting on the shelf in the living room, next to my retro consoles, collecting dust.

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
have you tried making a homemade signal director for it. Depending on where the router is in the house, you can make a homemade satellite dish like object to reflect the signal where you need it instead of omnidirectional. All it takes is some cardboard and tinfoil. I use one at my house because the router is at the far end of the house so i don't need the signal going towards the wall to the outside.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
I moved the camera to the next room. No connection. Its sister camera is across the house, working fine.

I'm very familiar with a Cantenna. However, this person paid for me to set up a camera, not for me to rewire their network.

Bad devices happen. They just happen a lot to me when they start with a D and end with LINK.

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
True, I had a D-Link Wireless router once, and it sucked. Would always drop the signal or just refuse connections. Now I use Linksys only. Though I have a buddy who was a 16-port D-Link switch and has never had a problem with it.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Ugh, dlink. I have the DIR-655 and due to all their stupid firmware problems it was a paperweight for a year, they finally solved at least the major issues and now it works alright. I think it's starting to fail on me though.

Roman

Banned
Contributor
With the DGL-4500, they released v.1.20 of the firmware, which disabled downgrading the firmware. In 1.22 they introduced a lovely bug that prevented the router from connecting to the internet correctly. 1.23 came along, and by then I had gone to a Linksys E2000.

Now I'm using a WNR2000 from Netgear. Really considering making a video of me destroying the DGL-4500. I have an eVGA 730i motherboard that's on the list of shitty hardware in my possession, too.

Sharkey

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
With the DGL-4500, they released v.1.20 of the firmware, which disabled downgrading the firmware. In 1.22 they introduced a lovely bug that prevented the router from connecting to the internet correctly. 1.23 came along, and by then I had gone to a Linksys E2000.

Now I'm using a WNR2000 from Netgear. Really considering making a video of me destroying the DGL-4500. I have an eVGA 730i motherboard that's on the list of shitty hardware in my possession, too.
Sounds like the 655 exactly.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Seriously, fuck D-Link
That's a conclusion I came to 7 years ago when I was trying to set up and tweak DSL D-Link router (not even fucking wireless) for my home network. Since then - it has been only Cisco and Netgear.

Reactions: Roman

pkm

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
Contributor
Speaking of CompUSA, damn I miss that place =[

At least I still have Fry's

KOS-MOS

Uncharitable Spy
compusa_anim1.gif

yes, CompUSA..........