How do you see this?

• I'm religious, so I want to keep God's image of humans. Bad Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
Reminds me of Surrogates.

And this video is so... Hitchhikers Guide-ish.
Nu-uh.
It doesn't have Steven Fry or Peter Jones narrating it, therefore it is almost, but not quite, entirely unlike The Guide.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Okay, wow, I wasn't prepared for an onslaught of facts. First, It's possible that you will be born, and then turned into a robot, as it's completely up to your parents at that point. And as cyborgs, humans wouldn't necessarily have the proper emotions (ie, the first few people who's brain is transferred to an artificial brain might be screwed up) which is kind of with the whole "Free Will is Dead, Long Live the Dictator" theory of that study. Oh, and also, to contradict your "Brain Exploding Because of to Much Knowledge" theory, he says he'll have artificial brains 10 years after people are going into cyborgs. There may or may not be a limit to brain capacity on those, but I assume they'd be primitive at best, because as you said, we know little about the brain as is.
Well that kind of defeats the whole point of human life. We have these complex emotions and thoughts and that's what separates us from a machine. So on a purely philosophical level, this is insane. If any of this ever happens, it won't be in our lifetimes. Except the first one because we already can control artificial arms and such, but getting a whole body to work might take a while (don't think 2020).

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
Well that kind of defeats the whole point of human life. We have these complex emotions and thoughts and that's what separates us from a machine. So on a purely philosophical level, this is insane. If any of this ever happens, it won't be in our lifetimes. Except the first one because we already can control artificial arms and such, but getting a whole body to work might take a while (don't think 2020).
To be fair, yes. But I hardly think that the creator is going to be satisfied if he causes a robot apocalypse. As for being not in our lifetime, I beg to differ. Perhaps not in your lifetime, as I'm assuming you're twenty years or so older than me. Also, with time comes better medicine. Who knows? By the time we have the technology to implant human brains into cyborgs, we may not need to, simply because we have medicine that heals any ailment instantly/quickly.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
To be fair, yes. But I hardly think that the creator is going to be satisfied if he causes a robot apocalypse. As for being not in our lifetime, I beg to differ. Perhaps not in your lifetime, as I'm assuming you're twenty years or so older than me. Also, with time comes better medicine. Who knows? By the time we have the technology to implant human brains into cyborgs, we may not need to, simply because we have medicine that heals any ailment instantly/quickly.
There are many things that "break down" our body. Nature does a pretty thorough job and makes sure we die one way or another. Also, I'm only 22 so 2045 is well within my lifetime

RisenDemon

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I'm afraid of (the idea) this happening:

Or

Although the ideas seems far-fetched, it's not completely impossible.

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
There are many things that "break down" our body. Nature does a pretty thorough job and makes sure we die one way or another. Also, I'm only 22 so 2045 is well within my lifetime
Sorry, I wasn't implying that you were "old" per se, just that you seemed to think it would happen not in 2045, but at a much later date, one I thought to be out of your reach :)

Da_Jinks

Epic Skial Regular
Contributor
I'd be bored after a while I think personally. Also, all machines can break, so what happens when these break?

Mothership

Gore-Spattered Heavy
I'd be bored after a while I think personally. Also, all machines can break, so what happens when these break?
We die, presumably. Maybe it depends on how we break, seeing as this kind of technology is going to be seriously complicated. If it gets more complicated though, it just gives us more ways to fuck it up.
The method he's talking about would make age and disease almost irrelevant. I'm saying almost because presumably we would need to upgrade ourselves, check our performance, fix bugs, etc. If we're going to become machines, we're still going to need maintenance, it's just that it would be drastically different from what we're used to.