How do you see this?

• I'm religious, so I want to keep God's image of humans. Bad Idea

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Pengy

Legendary Skial King

www.2045.com
Basically by 2020, he wants someone to be able to control an avatar using only their minds.
By 2025, he wants to transplant a human brain into a cyborg to control the cyborg.
By 2035, he wants to transfer a human's personality/consciousness into an artificial brain.
And by 2045, he wants to have everyone be holograms.

Good idea/bad idea?

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Reminds me of Surrogates.

And this video is so... Hitchhikers Guide-ish.

TONYOO101

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Meh, wouldn't mind living forever. Means we can keep brilliant minds forever alive to keep making progress, while still having fresh new people come in. Really, how differently would things be if take for example Tesla was still alive and making new inventions.

Smokey

Australian Skial God
Contributor
How would that even work when having a child? We'd just end up as robots.

PsychoRealm

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What specifically funny is that Russia can't resolve critical internal micro issues and problems (average income in Russia is ~$200/month) yet sets such a global, massive, and complex problem related to humanity to resolve.
There could be no response other than "Fucking Russians". Story of our, Russians, life...

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Unless we can hack our brains, they'll become "full" after 250 years or so (based on the approximate memory limit of the brain). Also, I'll quote Max Planck, "Science advances one funeral at a time" Society also only progresses as people die off. Also, overcrowding.

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
Unless we can hack our brains, they'll become "full" after 250 years or so (based on the approximate memory limit of the brain). Also, I'll quote Max Planck, "Science advances one funeral at a time" Society also only progresses as people die off. Also, overcrowding.
But if you're a robot, how do you reproduce? I have to agree with the society and the science things though.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
But if you're a robot, how do you reproduce? I have to agree with the society and the science things though.
What Pants said and how do you know there won't be some way of "combining" code between people? If you are an "imprint" on a cyborg/robot then there is some room to copy/paste yourself (with some editing involeved?) onto another and reproduce this way.

takethepants

Australian Skial God
Contributor
What Pants said and how do you know there won't be some way of "combining" code between people? If you are an "imprint" on a cyborg/robot then there is some room to copy/paste yourself (with some editing involeved?) onto another and reproduce this way.
Well I'm basing this on the fact that most of what he said will not be possible ever. We still have no clue what the hell is going on in the brain most of the time. Pretty much as far as we've gotten is "well this area lights up so it means he's angry" Guessing some basic emotions is far off from mapping all 100-500 trillion synapses in the human adult brain. Then figuring out what combinations do what. Also "transfer" wouldn't be the correct term. If we could in theory map all of that, it would merely be a copy. Your "consciousness" would still be in your old body and you would die with your old body. That new cyborg and/or hologram would have the same memories as you, but it's not you. Also, just because it's a copy, doesn't mean it'll copy our personality since a factor of our personality is based on other chemicals in our body.

EDIT: I'll also say, there was a study a few years back that almost killed the notion that we have free will. The study basically had someone in an MRI and they were able to predict certain actions a full 6-7 seconds before the person consciously "thought" to do it. If that's true of all our actions, then maybe there is some slight hope for some of this.

Pengy

Legendary Skial King
Well I'm basing this on the fact that most of what he said will not be possible ever. We still have no clue what the hell is going on in the brain most of the time. Pretty much as far as we've gotten is "well this area lights up so it means he's angry" Guessing some basic emotions is far off from mapping all 100-500 trillion synapses in the human adult brain. Then figuring out what combinations do what. Also "transfer" wouldn't be the correct term. If we could in theory map all of that, it would merely be a copy. Your "consciousness" would still be in your old body and you would die with your old body. That new cyborg and/or hologram would have the same memories as you, but it's not you. Also, just because it's a copy, doesn't mean it'll copy our personality since a factor of our personality is based on other chemicals in our body.

EDIT: I'll also say, there was a study a few years back that almost killed the notion that we have free will. The study basically had someone in an MRI and they were able to predict certain actions a full 6-7 seconds before the person consciously "thought" to do it. If that's true of all our actions, then maybe there is some slight hope for some of this.
Okay, wow, I wasn't prepared for an onslaught of facts. First, It's possible that you will be born, and then turned into a robot, as it's completely up to your parents at that point. And as cyborgs, humans wouldn't necessarily have the proper emotions (ie, the first few people who's brain is transferred to an artificial brain might be screwed up) which is kind of with the whole "Free Will is Dead, Long Live the Dictator" theory of that study. Oh, and also, to contradict your "Brain Exploding Because of to Much Knowledge" theory, he says he'll have artificial brains 10 years after people are going into cyborgs. There may or may not be a limit to brain capacity on those, but I assume they'd be primitive at best, because as you said, we know little about the brain as is.

DaivdBaekr

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
While I think the world could use a dose of transhumanism, I doubt this will be what influences it. More likely a war or geopolitical tension prodding R&D along than anything else.

That said, half the ideas in this video are undesirable at best. I can't shake the feel this is some sort of delayed-action Kony 2012 successor biding their time to ask for donations.