• Please go to our Discord or SteamRep for trading. Bans and appeals go HERE

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
They weren't "sentences" and it should be obvious from my tale why everyone started telling him to shut up... he was continuing the obnoxious behavior we just got away from.
Being obnoxious over voice chat isn't against the rules though. Regardless of how annoying someone is towards others or if they're a white knight you can't just call votemutes on someone who is just annoying everyone else.

Hessian

Unremarkable User
Being obnoxious over voice chat isn't against the rules though. Regardless of how annoying someone is towards others or if they're a white knight you can't just call votemutes on someone who is just annoying everyone else.

Then please clarify what qualifies as spam, and when is it appropriate to use the vote menu. If you can't do that, then explain why the vote menu even exists if we get warnings for using it to remove people that a server overwhelmingly agrees should be muted or kicked.

Antamania

Australian Skial God
Contributor
My simple thing to the people confused over the rules..there is a simple way to not break them.

Before you type something / say something / do something think "Am I being an asshole if I do this?" If the answer is yes, refrain from doing it and you'll never run into trouble.

Reactions: Renegade and ProbeX

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
Then please clarify what qualifies as spam, and when is it appropriate to use the vote menu. If you can't do that, then explain why the vote menu even exists if we get warnings for using it to remove people that a server overwhelmingly agrees should be muted or kicked.
People playing music through their mic or screaming through the mic without actually talking are spamming. Since you found my last post confusing I'll repeat myself; if a person simply says something that is either annoying or something that you disagree with then that's not spamming. Nobody wants to have a vote called against them just because they said something annoying or something that everyone else disagrees with.

Hessian

Unremarkable User
It sounds like we're in agreement that I acted appropriately. Noise being generated with no communication involved is spam. Excessive amounts should result in a mute / kick.

Last edited:

Kyle

Australian Skial God
Contributor
It sounds like we're in agreement that I acted appropriately. Noise being generated with no communication involved is spam. Excessive amounts should result in a mute / kick.
Since I wasn't there I can't fully agree nor disagree that you acted appropriately, same goes for Meowcenary. Regardless of what actually happened on 2fort that day, I wanted to make it clear that we do have clear lines when it comes to rules over spamming and that we simply don't want people to exploit the votemenu and ban/silence people just because they don't like them.

mittens

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
You have the option to client mute those who are annoying you. Just because they are annoying to you doesn't mean they are breaking the server rules.

Zeek

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
People playing music through their mic or screaming through the mic without actually talking are spamming. Since you found my last post confusing I'll repeat myself; if a person simply says something that is either annoying or something that you disagree with then that's not spamming. Nobody wants to have a vote called against them just because they said something annoying or something that everyone else disagrees with.

Wait, this is exactly the opposite of what some admins have repeatedly said and enforced ("Playing music is allowed").
While I understand Skial's position, as a user I would definitely like some more clarity precisely for things like this, or at least to know if some rules enabled to change based on each admins judgment.

There's been a couple times when I'd wish server-specific rules were stated as well, to avoid things like this, and a few other mismatches on bans/kicks where sometimes some things are punishable and sometimes they aren't.

JohnnyGaloshes

Banned
Contributor
Wait, this is exactly the opposite of what some admins have repeatedly said and enforced ("Playing music is allowed").
While I understand Skial's position, as a user I would definitely like some more clarity precisely for things like this, or at least to know if some rules enabled to change based on each admins judgment.

There's been a couple times when I'd wish server-specific rules were stated as well, to avoid things like this, and a few other mismatches on bans/kicks where sometimes some things are punishable and sometimes they aren't.

if someone want to play Dj then go on Shoutcast or something. We are here to play a game. Not listen to their crappy music.

Zeek

if someone want to play Dj then go on Shoutcast or something. We are here to play a game. Not listen to their crappy music.

Is that the admin's stance? Basically, I just want to know what's the official one and under which circumstances it's changed.

Blade D_Hero

Contributor
Is that the admin's stance? Basically, I just want to know what's the official one and under which circumstances it's changed.

As far as I know the only server you can actually play music on is Idle. And even then players in that server can call a vote-mute on you.

Silver Ag

Legendary Skial King
Contributor
As far as I know the only server you can actually play music on is Idle. And even then players in that server can call a vote-mute on you.
I tried reporting someone for mic spamming on a trade server before, then i was told it wasn't against the rule and just client mute them.

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
I tried reporting someone for mic spamming on a trade server before, then i was told it wasn't against the rule and just client mute them.

We used to silence for music. That changed awhile back when Bottiger said he doesn't want us silencing for it

Now days you are allowed to play music on any server as long as it has no form of racism and as long as the sound quality isn't ear rapingly bad

However, you can still be votemuted for playing music since we view it as a 'let the server decide' type of thing.

Reactions: Blade D_Hero

Zeek

There's been times where an admin has clarified for us (on VSH) that playing music is not against the rules, tho. At least 3-4 times while I was on. It was never a matter of conflict or anything and I thought it was a good call, but that's why I was surprised.
What's the "word of god" on this?

Among other things, that's why I'd +1 to the rules being a little more fleshed out.

--EDIT--

Herp. Answered already. Thanks for the clarification!

However, you can still be votemuted for playing music since we view it as a 'let the server decide' type of thing.

Is there any outline on what votes are ok to be "server decided" and which ones aren't?

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
What's the "word of god" on this?

2bn5lio.png

Source: https://www.skial.com/threads/appeal-jake.51552/

Meowcenary

Gaben's Own Aimbot
Contributor
Is there any outline on what votes are ok to be "server decided" and which ones aren't?

The only thing we allow to be 'server decided' is people using the votemenu to mute people who are playing music. That's about it to my knowledge.