WhatAmI

Uncharitable Spy
Sorry for any grammar mistakes, i'm not that good with english.
The BFB needs to be restricted because it can be easily exploited for the speed increase during fight minigames and the beginning of dr_ancient_memes (where you can directly hurt hale).

How Exploitable It Is

In the demo, hale activates the first 2 traps in ancient memes and the scout easily outruns the speed in which the trap pulls you in, and if the red team picks the fight minigame, scout can just run infinitely with hale never being able to catch up, that's why it needs to be restricted.

Fred dat lego

Somewhat Threatening Sniper
Although on one of the technical difficulties players were complaining about how gayle wouldn’t die if you slayed him in vote menu.

mr enderman 22

Notably Dangerous Demo-Knight
Banning a weapon for the sake of one flawed map sounds a bit drastic.
i mean its not drastic because litterally at spawn you can shoot him and you get like the amount of speed boost you would get with the baby faces blaster, aka alot of speed

worMatty

Mapper
I understand that, but it is drastic because banning the weapon would affect all maps when only one map has the problem. The designer chose to let the reds shoot the blue guy, ignorant or knowing of the consequences. It's an issue with the map, not the game mode. You may wish to use this weapon in an actual fight, so removing it outright would spoil that.

Pot Head Wabbit

Spectacularly Lethal Soldier
I understand that, but it is drastic because banning the weapon would affect all maps when only one map has the problem. The designer chose to let the reds shoot the blue guy, ignorant or knowing of the consequences. It's an issue with the map, not the game mode. You may wish to use this weapon in an actual fight, so removing it outright would spoil that.
than what do you suggest we do, just treat as an exploit and report everyone who abuses it, or as a use it or lose it game mechanic? Intended or not it allows you to completely bypass the first two traps of the map and for players who aren't using the bfb these traps are guaranteed death; how do you even begin to balance that.

worMatty

Mapper
If it's only the first couple of traps it doesn't sound like much of an issue. You could look at it as a mechanic that's peculiar to this map, which encourages players to consider their loadout to gain a minor advantage and possibly help out the team. Being a scout may be worse for them at some point in the future due to their reduced health and combat style preferring close range. The activator could opt to save those two traps for other classes, and instead head the scouts off in a future trap (I haven't played this map so I can't say how much of an issue rushing is).

It's also possible to create a custom item config for the deathrun plugin for this map which restricts the BFB. Cream Tea could update his map to increase the suction in those two traps if he felt it necessary.

Inventive use of items and abilities is something I'd like to see more of in deathrun maps so players have more reasons to use specific classes and weapons, outside of cosmetic reasons. In the playtests we run at DE, we have as few restrictions as possible to reveal game-breaking exploits. For example, sometimes Engineers will build sentries and dispensers in suction traps and spinners to avoid being killed. While these can defeat the mechanics of the trap, they serve as inspiration to allow the use of buildings in certain circumstances to provide interesting gameplay. Map authors can either restrict these things themselves by adding nobuild triggers or modifying their traps to circumvent the exploits, or adopt a different approach and include them in a limited fashion which comes with a skill or resource management requirement.

Reactions: LizzieSteph